What's new

And so it begins. I saw pumpkin beer at the grocery store last night.

I went in to grab a sour ale for a cocktail recipe and the shelves were loaded with pumpkin beers. I squealed a little.

Though my absolute favorite pumpkin beer went out of production a few years ago and I've yet to find a suitable replacement. Any pumpkin beer fans here?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I actually had a Saint Arnold Pumpkinator on August 5. It's a very good beer and one of the few pumpkin beers I actually enjoy (although one or two per year is about my limit).

It's pretty dadgum early for all the pumpkin spice stuff, but it's everywhere. I guess a lot of outfits need cash right now. Well, more power to them and to those that enjoy it, although it really isn't my thing at all.

Don't get me wrong, now. I like pumpkin pie spices (or baking spices, or whatever you care to call them). Shoot, I love pumpkin pie! I just don't need a whole bunch of it in my beer.

I actually had a Saint Arnold Pumpkinator on August 5. It's a very good beer and one of the few pumpkin beers I actually enjoy (although one or two per year is about my limit).

It's pretty dadgum early for all the pumpkin spice stuff, but it's everywhere. I guess a lot of outfits need cash right now. Well, more power to them and to those that enjoy it, although it really isn't my thing at all.

Don't get me wrong, now. I like pumpkin pie spices (or baking spices, or whatever you care to call them). Shoot, I love pumpkin pie! I just don't need a whole bunch of it in my beer.

Yeah, same. I like subtle pumpkin beers - not pumpkin-pie-punch-in-the-face beers. I prefer pumpkin porters or stouts where the pumpkin flavor is folded in with the traditional flavors of those styles rather than up front and cloying. My favorite was Urban Chestnut Count Orlok. I really miss it.

I had a pumpkin beer kick a while back...but it's faded. I have really enjoyed one out of Lexington, KY. I think they call it Pumkin Barrel Ale, and they age it in used bourbon barrels. The pumpkin was more subtle than in others.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm glad to say I've never seen such an abomination here in the UK! I like my beers to taste of beer...

Hear, hear! When faced with so many beers that are strongly flavored with fruit, spice, barrel aging, or heaven knows what else, I'm often heard saying that "I like some beer left in my beer."

I've lived all over the world, to include Germany and England, and I think the US makes the best variety of beer, including beer flavored beer. Love pumpkin beer, when I used to live in Colorado there as an awesome pumpkin beer, I forget what it's named but it was hard to get.

I enjoy a good pumpkin beer, however, I find that most of the commercially available beers take a subpar base beer and, "make it fancy." This has the unfortunate outcome of meaning it mostly tastes like subpar beer. I also tend to prefer pumpkin beers that stem from a beer with more malt.

I don't know, I'm generally willing to try new beers regardless of flavors.

Michael Scott: No God Please - Nooooooo (meme) | Humor en el ...

I'm going to put that four pack of Guinness Draft cans in the fridge for consumption tomorrow. That's about as "seasonal" as I tend to get. I can't stand the pumpkin ales though. And the only beers that I find should have fruit in them (like a lime or orange) are beers that taste so bad they need it. I'll take a Guinness or a Chimay or a Dogfish Head IPA any day over those flavored brews.

This is about the reception I expected, haha. Trust me, I'm the snobbiest of snobs when it comes to liquor, but there are some pumpkin beers that are absolutely not cloying and artificial tasting.
I do applaud you for posting your excitement despite the planned reaction. They're your tastebuds, and your dollars. Use them as you wish. Since I'm barely leaving the house these days, I imagine I will not participate in any pumpkin beer drinking this season. Unless my in-laws brew one. Cheers! 🍺

I like beer-flavoured beer, and whisky flavoured whisky. Neither requires anything other than the taste which comes with brewing or distillation.

But hey, if you enjoy a mocha-latte, frappachino hopped ale, aged in a hollowed out pumpkin carcass, fill your boots. More of the good stuff for the rest of us.

Not a fan of flavored beers myself. Many of my friends like the pumpkin beers though. It must have something going for it.

Top Bottom