What's new

...and now honing too

Sorry but this is going to be long :blushing:.

Irritated by the cost of cartridges I looked to see if there was any alternatives, and much to my surprise I found that DE shaving still was thriving (I’m a western world ignorant heavily influenced by big company advertising).

After starting DE shaving and finding it quite a pleasure, I was lead in the direction of B&B (Thank you JEEP) and from here the AD’s just spun out of control.
I’ve always thought it would be kind of cool to try and shave with a straight razor, but after reading all about the general maintenance, stropping and honing to keep the razor in shave condition, it put me off and I discarded the idea.
Curious though, I did some more studying and started lurking in the straight razor forum getting some knowledge of the subject.
Finally I caved in and ordered a straight and strop just before Christmas. It was a steep learning curve especially in the beginning, and I was quite convinced that stropping was difficult enough so honing would never come into play.
As I got better at straight shaving, I acquired more straight razors and several didn’t come shave-ready, so I was looking at some expenditure in honing fees and postal charges (which are the worst) that I once again studied the subject and went on and bought a Belgian Coticule as they come highly recommended by some members which opinion and advice I respect.

The link to http://www.coticule.be/ has been of much help as well, I have printed all the pages from “The Sharpening Academy” and read them several times. Very good articles :thumbup1:

I made a sorry attempt of honing a razor on the Coticule and the result was a razor that wasn’t no near sharp enough and that resulted in razor burn. One time is no time so I gave it another try with almost the same result. That made me think that the Coticule was too fine (at least for some of my razors) and I started looking for a lower grid stone of some kind, and had my eyes on a Naniwa combo-stone (good value for money). Some more studying (almost feels like I’m back to school :scared:) and when it came to ordering, I changed my mind and went for a Belgian Blue Whetstone.

With the BBW in house I gave it another try, this attempt was with a dull razor that had a bit of a smile, I could have made it easier on myself but at least I didn’t mind should the razor be ruined in my effort to hone it.
Baring in mind that my knowledge of honing consists of a couple of YouTube videos, threads here and coticule.be and my two failed experiments, I didn’t have high hopes, but after 30-45 minutes I was shaving arm hairs :001_smile
The BBW was exchanged with the Coticule and I spent about the same time on this while I was watering out the slurry and finishing off with pure water.
Now there was only one thing to do; strop and shave test it. To my surprise I got a really nice shave without irritation. The razor could have benefited from some more time on the Coticule but not bad at all.
Eager to try it again, I chose a razor with a blade in better condition and I spend some more time on the Coticule and the result was really good. It gave a smooth and irritation free shave. A bit more time on both stones and I think I’m close to; as good as it can be (with my current technique).

My (very limited) experience so far: Both Belgian stones are awesome hones, and I can’t see myself (not taking into consideration an outburst of AD) ordering other stones, these two are so versatile I don’t see any need for others. I would like a longer Coticule, but I'm good for now.
The Coticule I’ve got seems to be a very slow stone, but I don’t mind now I know, and it gives a very smooth edge.

Sorry for babbling on, but at the end of the day I will just like to express my gratitude for the help and advice of the experienced members in here, they have been much appreciated, and for the link to coticule.be – Thank you :a14: :ouch1:

P.S.
15 months ago; I didn’t even consider DE shaving.
9 months ago; straight shaving was outdated and for stubborn old-timers.
3 months ago; I would consider honing a skill, too difficult to acquire.

I’ve been eating so many camels in the last year that I’m full :001_tt2:

Great post Soren! Glad to hear honing worked for you as I'm contemplating trying my hand at it as well...although I'm not sure now if I should get a yellow coti or a nani :huh:

Congratulations Soren!

I am in a similar boat.

While, I have dabbled with straight's on and off for a little while now, having sent some out to get honed, Henry and Bong have helped me out, I now started to hone my own.

I have been fortunate to acquire a few hones, A norton, 2 barber's hones, what I believe to be a coticule, what has been guessed as a translucent Arkansas, and a crox balsa strop. One would think this should be enough for a while, considering many years ago, many made do with just a barber's hone.

Now the fun has begun. What I thought would hinder my straight shaving is actually very enjoyable when using the results (as stated by Henry already).

Again, Congratulations and have fun.

Last edited:
My story, which I'm sure is familiar to many here:

From cartridges to DE, to many DEs, to curiosity+fear of straights, to first straight, to very bad first str8 shave, to better second shave, to many straights, to first successful stropping, to hey I should try honing.

Does this ever end?:scared::scared::scared::scared:

Not that I'm not enjoying it. I actually love it.:001_tt1:

Thanks Gentlemen.

As Henry writes, it is a great feeling to shave with a razor you have honed yourself, and as with the shaving I'm expecting this to get better with time and practice :001_smile

@Ru4scuba?
I don't think, I am the one to ask, as I only got the BBW and coticule and furthermore only have around a week of experience. But I am extremely happy with those stones they seem to perform really good, and I'm convinced the performance will be even better when I get to know the stones and my razors better.
So far I've honed 6 razors and shaved with three of them, can't wait to try the next three and to hone some more - new toys are always fun :biggrin1:

Great post Soren! Glad to hear honing worked for you as I'm contemplating trying my hand at it as well...although I'm not sure now if I should get a yellow coti or a nani :huh:

The Coticule is a more versatile hone than the Naniwa. Used correctly, it can take an edge from dull to shave ready. Getting the most out of it takes some experience - good old fashioned trial and error.

Naniwas, on the other hand, are easy to use and produce consistent results. Yet they are not so versatile as the Coticule. Going this route may entail purchasing two or three hones. Given Coticule prices these days (an 8X3 is ~$250), the cost is essentially equal.

What it really boils down to is which hone or set of hones produces the edge you like best?

Soren, welcome to the community of straight razor lovers who have officially been diagnosed with permanent front temporal lobe HAD disorder with no currently known medical cure. So get over it and have a great time! You need to go to Coticule.be and look up Torben, he lives in your neck of the woods.

On the issue of Naniwa vs Coticule, I am totally familure with both. The naniwas came highly recommened to me and I have honed over 150 razors on them.

The first thing I did notice was it took a considerably long time to lap them down to a point that they were honing consistantly the same each time. The next thing that seemed strange was the fact that these stones were not supposed to be soaked, yet several of them drank water like they should be. The Last issue I had with them was the amount of swarf buildup seemed to be overwhelmingly exessive. I not only had to lap the stones after every 2 razors but sometimes several times while honing some very difficult razors. This might not be an issue if you are honing a new razor though, since a new razor generally only requires maybe 24 laps, while some of the razors sent to me have required as many as 600 laps.

The Coticule, on the other hand, does not need to be lapped when you get it. It is a dense stone and does not soak up anything. It also does not create swarf similar to synthetics that needs to be lapped out. The perfect size Coticule seems to be about 2" x 7" and the bbw is not really necessary unless you really want it. Price for one of these direct from the Ardennes mine in belgium is approx. 75 Euros or $100 plus shipping. This stone will do everything a complete set of Naniwas will do.

If you need help with a Coticule or a Naniwa, let me know.

Ray

It was after some reading here I ordered the coticule as it was mentioned you didn't really needed others.
But I also think I read somewhere, that there is a difference in those stones, and at least to me it seems that the one I got is a very slow stone even with a good slurry, that is why I decided to order the BBW as well, and it has really made it a lot easier - I'm not excluding that lack of skill has something to do with the matter though.

My only regret is I didn't get a larger coticule, it is on the small side and I'll concur that 2" x 7" is a really good size - got the BBW in 2" x 8".

The learning curve may be longer, but I like the fact that it is natural, I have a preference for natural things (wood, bone, horn, stone etc.) and don't mind if it takes a bit longer to master/understand the coticule and BBW - so far I'm really pleased with my results.

It was after some reading here I ordered the coticule as it was mentioned you didn't really needed others.
But I also think I read somewhere, that there is a difference in those stones, and at least to me it seems that the one I got is a very slow stone even with a good slurry, that is why I decided to order the BBW as well, and it has really made it a lot easier - I'm not excluding that lack of skill has something to do with the matter though.

My only regret is I didn't get a larger coticule, it is on the small side and I'll concur that 2" x 7" is a really good size - got the BBW in 2" x 8".

The learning curve may be longer, but I like the fact that it is natural, I have a preference for natural things (wood, bone, horn, stone etc.) and don't mind if it takes a bit longer to master/understand the coticule and BBW - so far I'm really pleased with my results.

Don't worry about having a smaller Coticule. I've honed all but my largest razors on my 6x2. Since you decided to go the Coticule route, you owe it to yourself to visit Bart's website Coticule.be. The information he's put together will give you a great headstart.

My story, which I'm sure is familiar to many here:

From cartridges to DE, to many DEs, to curiosity+fear of straights, to first straight, to very bad first str8 shave, to better second shave, to many straights, to first successful stropping, to hey I should try honing.

Does this ever end?:scared::scared::scared::scared:

Not that I'm not enjoying it. I actually love it.:001_tt1:

Mhm. That's exactly my progression too. Except I've started with the honing already

Don't worry about having a smaller Coticule. I've honed all but my largest razors on my 6x2. Since you decided to go the Coticule route, you owe it to yourself to visit Bart's website Coticule.be. The information he's put together will give you a great headstart.

Oh yes, I have been there and assembled all the articles in the Sharpening Academy and printed them out, so I can sit peacefully in my armchair and reading all those wise words while having a single malt or a nice glass of vintage portwine :biggrin1:
I am in no doubt that is why I've been so lucky until now with my honing, that is truly some fine articles.

Now that I've honed a couple of razors I intend to read the articles again, there is always something you forget when first starting out and there is so much information - and it gives me an excuse to a glass of the good stuff again.

Top Bottom