What's new

An Ode to the English Muffin

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I can't begin to tell you how much trouble I've gotten into by virtue of my inexplicable inability to differentiate between crumpets and strumpets.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Crumpets are the hol(e)y grail of butter delivery vehicles IMO.
No.

Gentlemen, I give you ...
proxy.php

proxy.php

... deep-fried bacon-wrapped butter.
That looks just like what we call English Muffins.
I'm so confooosed.
I always want a bit of crumpet. :)
proxy.php

English Muffin. Canadian Bacon. Chinese Handcuffs. Russian Roulette. French Fries. Nobody wants to take credit for their nation's greatest accomplishments. Go figure.

It's back bacon, eh. Only hosers and Murricans call it Canadian bacon.
Is Russian invention.

Yep. Gene Roddenchevsky.

Captain Kirkov.

OK lads, here is a video of how I think 'English' muffins should be made. I would go so far as to say this is almost exactly the way they were made in Colonial times. As you will see, they bear a direct kinship to a crumpet. Not exact surely but first cousins I'd wager.

Variations exist of course and you will find loads of YouTube videos showing a much drier dough being kneaded a lot and rolled with a pin. No, no, no. You may get a nice griddle bread but you ain't gettin' a decent muffin. Not with the generous nooks for butter like these make you crave. Anyroad, eat what you like and enjoy it. This is just my preference.

Ok, what's the ideal size and material for a crumpet ring? I've found tin plated, aluminum, and stainless, in various sizes. 3" to 3.5".

it is an oddity, why do I long for them when I walk by; but leave them for another day when I see them in the home frige?

Top Bottom