What's new

An intersection of obsessions. Advice appreciated!

Gents, I can no longer deny it: I am obsessed with all iterations of tobacco. E-cigs, Cigars, Pipes... I can no longer call myself a dabbler. This leaves me with a conundrum- where the heck am I going to put all this stuff?! M'love is a vehement anti-tobacco crusader, but she tolerates my enjoyment if she doesn't have to see it or the paraphernalia. My collection of cigars, pipe tobacco, and the like is quickly outgrowing the dresser drawer I have been stashing it in. To that end, I concocted a plan, with which I could use some of your sage advice:
In addition to being a tobacco fiend, I am also a semi-professional woodworker and tinkerer. Most of my furniture is self-made (if not elegant:blushing:), and I own hardly anything that has not been "modified" in my basement workshop of horrors. Knives, rifles, car parts, bicycles... I like to tinker! Well, I have a large leather-bound steamer trunk that has so far eluded my experiments. I just couldn't think of anything to do with it... Until now. A humidor, the likes of which I can be proud! It already has a nice air-tight seal and locking lid. The walls are thin, but it smells inside of cedar. I could install a rack system, a hygrometer, perhaps even a hermetic "dry chamber" for E-Juice and... Wait a second. I don't know the first thing about humidors:confused1. To that end, I have the following questions:
1-From reading the BL Essentials Sticky, I'm seeing I will need Spanish Cedar planks to line it with. Is this the same as the red cedar I see at home improvement stores? If not, will red or white cedar work, provided it is untreated and unvarnished? I would think that tongue-and-groove cedar planks would make it very easy to line it adequately.
2- To those more experienced students of the leaf, would it be advisable to store my pipe tobacco with the cigars? I'm not too worried about flavor osmosis, since all of my cigars and pipe tobaccos are flavored in some way or another.
3- Humidification- What do you recommend? Gel, Electric, or a sponge with distilled water and PEG? I would be especially interested in a short-term jerry-rigged solution, since my collection of cigars has exceeded the amount I could smoke in a year, and I am worried about them drying out before the project is complete.
4-Hygrometer placement- Is it preferable to just rest it in with the cigars, or would it be as effective affixed to an interior wall of the humidor, so as to be out of the way?
Any and all advice is appreciated. Many thanks!

Last edited:
I can't help, but I do wish you good luck with your project. A steamer trunk humidor should be pretty cool and a great way to solve your dilemma.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Spanish Cedar is not the same as Red or White. Both of those will be too aromatic, and impart strong flavors in the cigars. It is not necessary for a humidor to be fully lined with Spanish Cedar. One work around would be to put a cooler inside the chest, and build shelving for everything else. Most coolers will make a rock solid humidor, and you will only have to humidify the area with the cigars not the other paraphernalia.

It really depends how far you want to take it. If you want to turn the whole chest into a humidor then that could be done, I would suggest kiln dried spanish cedar. I know there are a few sellers on ebay that sell them in planks, I would say 1/4 would be good. You could store your pipe tobacco in mason jars and not worry about the humidity or flavor imparting from the cigars to pipe tobacco and vice versa.

An easier route is you could just mason jar all your tobacco, and use pre-made spanish cedar trays for your cigars like these http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_cedar-tray_TRAY.html also depending on the size of the box, I would use these http://heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=70%25+Rh+Humidity+Beads for humidification. The amount you would need would be dependent on the size of the box.

As far as hygrometers go, I use this https://www.xikar.com/products/humidification/purotemp-hygro-system/ mainly because I can monitor the humidity levels from my desk from one unit for my desktop humidor and my 2 wineadors. You can add up to 3 remote units to one receiver, but when you buy the receiver it gives you one remote hydrometer. If your not interested in the wireless feature, you can use one of these units too https://www.xikar.com/products/humidification/digital-hygrometers/. I would check amazon for them or maybe ebay.

hope that helps!~

2- To those more experienced students of the leaf, would it be advisable to store my pipe tobacco with the cigars? I'm not too worried about flavor osmosis, since all of my cigars and pipe tobaccos are flavored in some way or another.

No. Besides flavor, there will be too much humidity for the pipe tobacco. Store pipe tobacco in mason/Ball jars with nothing for humidification.

Spanish Cedar is not the same as Red or White. Both of those will be too aromatic, and impart strong flavors in the cigars. It is not necessary for a humidor to be fully lined with Spanish Cedar. One work around would be to put a cooler inside the chest, and build shelving for everything else. Most coolers will make a rock solid humidor, and you will only have to humidify the area with the cigars not the other paraphernalia.

+1 And I would not store cigars and pipe baccy together for reasons stated above in other posts. Mason jars (which come in a great variety of sizes) work well for pipe tobacco. And are somewhat decorative to boot.

Top Bottom