What's new

An idea for a shaving scuttle

moses said:
Air drying glaze. How strange. But kinda cool. Now I think you should do it just to see how the stuff works. :)

Anyway, yes, rather moot, I suppose. Been when has that ever stopped anyone on this board from saying anything. :rolleyes:

I know very little about pottery. But I did take a class not so long ago, before moving to the city and no longer having time for that sort of thing. :bored: I probably reached a skill level that with a little trial and error, I could have thrown a lather bowl. Someday when I once again have a life of my I intend to throw my own scuttle/bowl, rather after the pattern of these things, I think, but perhaps with a handle.... I have some ideas mulling in my head....

Sounds like you know more about pottery than I do. :wink:

When you get your life back, let us know how the bowl turns out. :001_smile

Earlier in this thread I posted a link and photos for The Perfect Violet Pot company. I sent an email message to that company yo ask about the dimensions of the pot just to see if it could work as a shaving scuttle. Here's the correspondence in case someone else was wondering.

Cheers,
Danny

(From me:)

Hi,

I have visited your web site and admired your violet pots. I wonder if you could provide me with several dimensions of the inside space for the inner pot for both of your sized pots. Specifically, I would like to know (a) the diameter of the cavity at the top of the inner pot, (b) the depth of that cavity, and (c) the diameter of the bottom of the cavity (it looks like there is a bit of as taper).

Let me explain why I am interested in these dimensions: I am wondering if your violet pot might also work as a shaving scuttle. You see, I use shaving soap or cream each morning to whip-up a bowl of lather for shaving. A "shaving scuttle" is a vessel that holds hot water under the lather bowl so that the heat from that water can warm the lather. Here is a link to a popular shaving scuttle:
http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/contemp.htm.

The design of your violet pot would allow the outer pot to be filled with hot water and the lather to be mixed in the inner pot. This might be a problem, however, if the inner pot is too deep and / or too narrow to allow someone's hand to "whip" the shaving brush (it is like whipping eggs to make scrambled eggs!). That's why I am interested in these dimensions.

I happen to subscribe to an on-line community of people interested in shaving items (www.badgerandbalde.com) Here is the link to the site where we have been discussing your violet pots:
http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6422.

I hope you don't think this is all a little too weird! :) Thanks for your help and time with my request. Very best regards,

Danny

(Response:)

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. I have been getting a huge Christmas order ready for a garden center. You have an interesting request!! The bottom pot opening is about 4 1/2" across the top. It is about the size of a large cereal bowl. The top pot is about 4 1/2 to 5" across and deep for the planting area and 7" across at the widest part of the fluted edge. It seems like it would work for what you suggest. No one has ever told me in 25 years that this was the application they had in mind when they bought a pot from me, but there is always a first!!!

Isn't that what life is all about?!!

Regards, Bev Pierson

Danny Is that person making the pots ,why not ask for one the way you want it.
My concern is the fluted edges- they seem superfluous and susceptible to damage.

I'll ask her if some customization is possible. I know the bottom of the inner pots are left unglazed so that, over a week, the water in the outer pot can seep in: since that isn't necessary for a scuttle, I'll also inquire if the entire inner pot can be glazed.

From the photos it looks like the fluted flange may keep the inner pot suspended in the water. From the photo on their site showing how a pot is filled, it is not clear if the inner pot actually sits on the bottom of the outer pot or is suspended. Overall, it appears quite sturdy.

I am intrigued by these pots, so maybe I'll buy one and see first hand how it works. Based on that experience I can always follow up to see if modifications are possible (i.e., different sort of flange; a handle). I'll keep the B&B posted with any news! :001_smile

Cheers,

Right - good idea! It may be less expensive at Wal-Mart too as the large pots from this organization are $24 plus about $9 in shipping.

All this staring at violet pots has me thinking about what the characteristics of my ideal scuttle are. Here's the list that would suit my needs:

- The inner / lather bowl should be sufficiently wide and deep to allow vigorous mixing with a large brush. The notched rice bowl that I picked up at Target is a perfect size with about a 4.5" diameter at the top and a maximum depth of about 3.5".
- I would like the inner / lather bowl to have a smooth rounded bottom for optimal mixing.
- Unlike the Moss Scuttle, I think the inner / lather bowl should lift out completely (like the violet pot) for quick filling with hot water from a tap or kettle. However, some sort of notch or lip should be in place so that when the inner / lather bowl is "seated" into the outer bowl it stays in place rather than spins of jiggles.
- Unlike a violet pot, it would be helpful if the outer bowl had a handle for gripping while mixing.

Anyone else have thoughts on the features of the ideal scuttle?

Cheers,

Danny many of your ideas are sound- The Moss scuttle was not designed to make lather in -its a docking station for your lather filled brush. I use a small one every day its easy to fill has a handle and fits a 23 -26 mm brush snugly. If you make a scuttle too large the heat will not surround the brush and keep it warm. Just what works for me! YMMV:biggrin:

Thanks, Jim, for the insights regarding the design of the Moss Scuttle.

My ideas for a scuttle is based on how I have been using the rice bowl:

- I start by filling up the sink about half-way with water as hot as it will come out of the tap.
- Next, I put the rice bowl in that water and fill it, too, about half-way with hot water.
- I place my brush in that hot water and allow it to soak while I grab a shower.
- Once out of the shower, I dump the water from inside the rice bowl, and the(a) squeeze some cream from a tube into the bowl or (b) take my brush charged with soap from a cake of shaving soap and begin whipping-up lather.
- Once the lather is ready, I set the bowl back into the still half-filled sink to ensure that the bowl and lather stay warn throughout my shave. The bowl is sufficiently large and heavy that it sits on the bottom of the sink and doesn't float. In other words, I use the sink as a giant scuttle.

This process allows for the lather to get warm fast and stay warm through the shave. I think it would be a bit more efficient to have an outer bowl rather than my sink as a vessel for holding the hot water to heat the lather bowl.

It has been a lot of fun reading about the various ways B&B members prepare for shaving and do the shaving. It is clear that there is no universally "best" process or hardware, but it is loads of fun getting new ideas from fellow wet shavers!

Cheers,

Talk about reviving a "dead" thread---

A friend showed me a similar setup mentioned on another forum, and so I looked at the violet pots at my local hell-mart. The porous nature of the inner pot concerns me, not because of seepage, but because of gunk build-up. I wondered if just a couple of shots of krylon wouldn't seal it? To those who have been using one of these pots, how does it hold up? Does inner bowl get scummy?

Top Bottom