What's new

An idea for a shaving scuttle

I was looking at the design of the Moss Scuttle the other day and was struck that the innovative feature for this shaving scuttle is that the lather bowl actually sits in the hot water underneath. It looks like many of the traditional scuttles have the hot water well below the lather bowl. This must impede the efficiency of heating the lather.

Well, it seems that the Moss Scuttle is very similar in design to a regular double boiler. I did a search of double boilers on eBay and found a couple that might work as a shaving scuttle (there are dozens of double boilers listed).

The first is a Revereware 1 qt. double boiler. The listing states that the bowl is 3" in depth and 5 3/4" in diameter: that sounds about right for a lather bowl. The metal bowl also looks rounded at the bottom.

This second design is a copper pot with a ceramic insert.

These are both interesting, but still look like they belong in the kitchen, not the bathroom. I am sure that someone will say that filling the sink with hot water and placing a heavy lather bowl in that water is the quickest, easiest scuttle of all!

Cheers,
Danny

You're right - that's why it makes more sense to get your own! :wink2:

I did some searching for African violet pots and there are indeed some nice designs. Here is one site with some very nice looking pots that would work in a bathroom. In fact, there are so many different colors and patterns that one of them has to match your bathroom! I have pasted a couple of samples below.

Cheers,

The black one would look great with a waterfall of lather in your SOTD photo.

You could try a electric mug warmer also and set your bowl on that.

Danny,You always have great posts - Thanks

I like this one also

proxy.php

Thanks for the kind words Jim! I am having a blast with wet shaving and I think that the B&B board has made it a lot more fun. :biggrin: There are so many nice people here!

I like pattern you picked: a bit more interesting than plain black. From the web site, it looks like the inner pot is quite deep. I think I'll send a note to that site and ask for all of the dimensions of their two sizes of pots. I'll be sure to post a follow-up when I get the info!

Cheers,

One thing about violet pots. I believe most of them are self-watering. Meaning the bottom half of the top bowl is porous, and unglazed.

Chefchris uses his violet pot everyday for lathering, and doesn't have any trouble with too much water seeping in to the lather. It might even help keep the lather from drying out. He uses boiling water from our teakettle, too.

We bought pottery glaze at an arts & crafts store to glaze the pot, but we haven't done it yet. And probably won't as it seems unnecessary.

If you buy a handmade violet pot, you could ask the maker to glaze the bowl completely, if you are worried about the self-watering aspect.

Good point, JoAnna. I have sent a note to the folks at the web site I linked from where the photos I posted came. I asked about the specific dimensions of the cavity to determine if there's enough space for mixing lather. I'll ask about the glazing when I get a reply.

Cheers,

The african violet pots website link I posted previously has measurements for their pots. I don't know if there is a standard size for these pots in general, or what. That site has 4-5 sizes.

The pots you linked to are great looking.

There are plenty of people making and selling these things on the internet, too.

Its either put a Hot plate in the bathroom, or stick a shaving mirror above the stove somewhere!!! The things we will do to get good hot lather!!!

I have a few different sizes, from large to medium. I find it easier to reach into deeper bowls with the larger brushes.

- I have a Shavemac that is now fully bloomed and is about 4" tall and 2.5" in the widest part of the bloom.
- I have a Taylor's brush that is just marginally my largest at 5" high and about 3.5" at the widest part of the bloom.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

mrs. chefchris said:
One thing about violet pots. I believe most of them are self-watering. Meaning the bottom half of the top bowl is porous, and unglazed.

Chefchris uses his violet pot everyday for lathering, and doesn't have any trouble with too much water seeping in to the lather. It might even help keep the lather from drying out. He uses boiling water from our teakettle, too.

I have a feeling the seepage would be way too slow to damage your lather in the time it takes to shave. After all, the whole point of this for the flowers is that it is very slow.

We bought pottery glaze at an arts & crafts store to glaze the pot, but we haven't done it yet. And probably won't as it seems unnecessary.

Well, this isn't really a necessary warning, since you probably won't try to glaze it anyway, but.... You would have to fire the pot after you applied the glaze, of course. Other than finding a kiln (you may have access to one, I dunno) the problem with this is that you will also remelt all the other glaze already on it. The effects of this could be not great. Of course you may know way more about pottery than I, and I may be making a fool of myself, but that's my 2c.

If it turns out to need a sealing, I would apply some sort of acrylic sealant or the like to the bottom surface, instead, perhaps.

On the whole, these things seem like a pretty darn good idea. If I get around to upgrading from my walmart oversize mug in the hot sink method, that is...

dszpiro said:
I have a few different sizes, from large to medium. I find it easier to reach into deeper bowls with the larger brushes.

- I have a Shavemac that is now fully bloomed and is about 4" tall and 2.5" in the widest part of the bloom.
- I have a Taylor's brush that is just marginally my largest at 5" high and about 3.5" at the widest part of the bloom.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Chefchris has a Saville Row 3324 and a tweezerman brush, and both work well for him in his (what I think of as small)violet pot. YMMV. Here are some pics(post #59),

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=36178#post36178

Moses,

What I have is called "Sculpey Glaze", and states on the bottle that it is a air-drying glaze.

I don't know a thing about pottery, for the most part. The whole thing is a moot point anyway. I was just trying to forewarn people of the details of violet pots.

Thanks for the info on the glaze and the shots of the pot: it looks like the perfect size!

The violet pots I linked to were quite a bit more expensive than the $5 you mention for the WalMart pot. I think I'll give WalMart a try first.

Cheers,
Danny

Air drying glaze. How strange. But kinda cool. Now I think you should do it just to see how the stuff works. :)

Anyway, yes, rather moot, I suppose. Been when has that ever stopped anyone on this board from saying anything. :rolleyes:

I know very little about pottery. But I did take a class not so long ago, before moving to the city and no longer having time for that sort of thing. :bored: I probably reached a skill level that with a little trial and error, I could have thrown a lather bowl. Someday when I once again have a life of my I intend to throw my own scuttle/bowl, rather after the pattern of these things, I think, but perhaps with a handle.... I have some ideas mulling in my head....

dszpiro said:
Thanks for the info on the glaze and the shots of the pot: it looks like the perfect size!

The violet pots I linked to were quite a bit more expensive than the $5 you mention for the WalMart pot. I think I'll give WalMart a try first.

Cheers,
Danny

Wal-Mart may or may not have violet pots in stock, as I'm not sure if they are seasonal items. You can always check garden stores, thrift stores, and any type of places that you can think of, that might carry the pots.

Or you can befriend an old lady and dump her violets out when she isn't looking. :wink2:

Top Bottom