What's new

American Button Company Info...

I am interested in purchasing or trading for a Gillette American Button Company razor, but before I really go looking for one and actually post something in the WTB section, I want to make sure that it is a razor that shaves well. At least as of now, I'm not really interested in collecting razors to look at. I want something that would shave really well in addition to being really nice to look at. Does anybody have any experience shaving with these razors? I currently have a '56 SuperSpeed, a Ladies Gillette, and a Diplomat. I've found each of these razors to be really nice shavers, but there is just something about the beauty of those American Button Company razors that makes me want to try one of those. But again, how do they shave? Any words of wisdom from the shaving sages?

Also, I think I've been able to discern that this razor is the Empire.
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Image:ABC_Razors_1.jpg

Does this one have a nickname as well?
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Image:ABC_Razors_2.jpg

I think I've only seen these two razors in these two colors, silver and goldish, respectively, but is that the only way there were made? Do silver editions of the second one exist or gold ones of the first?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom that can be shared.

Brian,
The ABC razors with the metal cases came in five different sets, the Empire, Shell, Flower, Plain and Basket patterns. The catalog shows they all came in both gold and silver. I have all five sets and the Flower and basket in gold and silver. But of all of the 11 sets, I only have four of the ornate patterns, Empire, Flower, Scroll and the Shell. I don't know if there is a case dedicated to the scroll pattern, mine came with a basket case.

Except for the length on the blade positioning posts, the ABC razors use the cap and guard design of the Old Type razors. The razor is more aggressive then any of your razors but in a short time you can get used to it and it will reward you with wonderful shaves. Try it. The worst thing that can happen is you sell it for what you paid for it if you don't like it. But you will.

Good Luck,
Len

Last edited:
I have several of the ABC razors and use them periodically.

IMHO, they are more aggressive than the three you currently have in your rotation. The shaving angle is a little different than the more modern razors.

With that said, they're still gentle razors. They have a nice weight and balance, in addition to being nice-looking razors. I use mine with a Swedish Gillette blade (no shimming) and a good, slick soap.

Still, after a week of use, they can give me a mild burn. Otherwise, I'd use them more often.

Great! Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that they came in both gold and silver. I definitely prefer silver to gold, so I'm glad to hear that is an option. I'm also glad to hear that they can be pretty good shavers, even if a bit more aggressive than what I am accustomed to.

I just want to make sure that I have things straight with the cases and the razors. I think I can tell which one is the Empire design and which is the Flower design, but I'm a bit unsure on the others.

Is the Shell case the one with the oval in the center and the radiating lines coming out from this center oval as pictured in this photo? What about the razor in this photo? I'm assuming that is a Scroll design razor? Is there a separate Scroll case? http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Image:ABC_Razors_4.jpg

Thanks again guys.

Is the Basket case the one that almost looks like a thatched pattern with variously arranged vertical and horizontal lines as in the following photo? What about the razor? Is that the plain razor or the basket razor or the shell razor? http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Image:ABC_Razors_3.jpg

I have a number of these - five (still looking for a Shell pattern...) - and I love them. I get my best shaves from these - yes, they are a bit more aggressive than closed bar razors (I'm not entirely sure what "aggressive" means anymore), but they are far more maneuverable - with the small/low profile head of this razor, I find it easy to get under my nose, around those troublesome angles, etc. etc. The weight and balance of these little guys are perfect for me.

I think you'll like your razor(s) - you'll want more than one!

Good luck.

[Inner voice: *damn* - another competitor for these things... should tell 'em these razors are AWFUL.]

Incidentally, the two razors you link to: Empire silver and Floral (or Flower) in gold. Those are the fancy-pants ABCs I have, incidentally. Watch SOTD and you'll see mine show up every now and then (I think I posted a SOTD with the Empire last week and the floral this week...?)

Last edited:
I just want to make sure that I have things straight with the cases and the razors. I think I can tell which one is the Empire design and which is the Flower design, but I'm a bit unsure on the others.

Is the Shell case the one with the oval in the center and the radiating lines coming out from this center oval as pictured in this photo? What about the razor in this photo? I'm assuming that is a Scroll design razor? Is there a separate Scroll case? http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Image:ABC_Razors_4.jpg

Thanks again guys.

Is the Basket case the one that almost looks like a thatched pattern with variously arranged vertical and horizontal lines as in the following photo? What about the razor? Is that the plain razor or the basket razor or the shell razor? http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Image:ABC_Razors_3.jpg

The Shell case is the one radiating from the center. The razor with it is the scroll design.

The basket case has the vertical and horizontal lines making small squares. The razor shown with it is the shell pattern and the most common that I have seen, also most common in silver and is generally with the shell case. I have also seen it with the scroll razor.

Oh. The silver razor seems to be the most common regardless of the pattern.

I have never seen a scroll case and it does not show up in Krumholz's book.

Len

Len -- Thanks for helping me identify which one is which razor. I really appreciate it. I'm not sure that my wallet will, but I certainly do appreciate it.

Jon -- Thanks for mentioning it being easier to maneuver with. I have an amish style beard, which means a more maneuverable razor would really be a good thing for me.

Sorry for the late report. I didn't shave until a few minutes ago.

I don't know if it's the razor, but the stars lined up and the shave was phenomenal. If there is going to be shaving in paradise, and I get there, this is damn close.

Used my usual routine: Wash and rinse with Palmer's olive oil soap, lather up (vintage Old Spice tallow soap, DeLong badger brush), waited two minutes, freshened up the lather, then begin the three passes with a twice used Shark Super Stainless blade.

Right away, I noted that I was going to have to bring the "A" shave and watch my angles. This is a nimble razor, and while it let me maneuver when I needed to, I was a expecting a misstep on my part that would produce a nasty cut. Perhaps because I was using a new razor that seems lively, the extra vigilance payed off.

WTG, excellent. XTG, and I started to get a little worried since it was going so well. ATG, and a little touch up. Grabbed the Lilac Vegetal, and that can be a burner with a rough shave, but not today.

I don't know that I'd reach for this razor on a day when I wasn't feeling on top of my game, or I was distracted or rushed. I'm still convinced that it will bite me down the road.

I'm pretty blown away by the shave I got from it today. Wow!

I used my ABC pocket today for the first time as well. Yes it's a nice nimble razor. I only shave with an Old Type once or twice a month and this shave seemed smoother then most. I did my normal three pass routine today and have to say it was not aggressive at all. I used Blenheim Bouquet and a 5th day red pack Personna. I just put this little guy in my rotation.

Len

I am getting increasingly sold on getting one. I think I'll be posting something soon in the WTB or WTT section. I'm sure it can depend vastly on the condition, but how much might an Empire or Floral design in good condition set me back financially? I've tried looking for what these sell for either on the boards here or through eBay, but I've not really found anything, which probably should scare me away. I picked up a Diplomat with a case in really excellent condition that shaves wonderfully and looks even better, but I'm not a big fan of yellow gold. I wonder if that might be a fair trade. Any thoughts?

Brian,
A complete Empire set in good shape will cost a bunch, if you can find one. You have a better chance getting a Floral. I got mine from ebay for $112. It was nice. If you just want one to shave with, the razor alone should be around $35-$40. The shell version is the easiest to find but also the most plain.

Len

Len

The plain one must be what I have. Shaves like a house afire, though.

You see them on the BST. I got mine at an antique mall in a Goodwill box.

I have been shaving DE since Sept. I have been using a mild Tech to get used to it and learn technique.

Last week I gave my Empire ABC a try. I used it all week. It gave much closer shaves than my Tech., I had no issue with razor burn but I did give myself quite a bleeder on the last day of use (but it was my fault).

I found it very comfortable and nice at the beginning of the week but by the end it was getting really not as nice, I think it really likes to have a fresh blade.

I did not have much troubles using it, I just took it slow(ish) and payed attention to what I was doing.

I shave primarily with the ABC I acquired. And I'm new to DE. Another fact, I shave every day with it.

Taking that into account, here's what I've found.

The razor is very maneuverable as they other gents mentioned. There really isn't any place on my face that I can't get at with aplomb.

Regarding the handling of the razor, I recently had an epiphany. If you hold it by the ball end and use that to basically control the angle and absolutely NO pressure at all, you might find as I have that not only does this little antique give the best shave. But also that it doesn't take much time at all.

I can't speak to it's aggressiveness at all as I have only ever DE'd with this one.

However, I use Clubman Original and that stuff is gnarly if you've over-shaved. Since using this tactic, I have only experienced the refreshing 'tingle' that you're supposed to.

I'd be happy to try and take a picture of this technique if need be.

Top Bottom