What's new

Am I the only one who can only get a couple shaves out of a blade?

I hear about some of you going 5 or more shaves with one blade and it blows my mind. I use Feathers and can maybe get 3 shaves if I'm lucky. After that the blade chews me up something awful. I think I could get 2-3 with Sharks. Pretty much every other blade I've tried I could only go 1-2 (Derby, various Gillettes, Astras).

What gives? I have very thick stubble but so do lots of you guys. Feathers are supposed to be the sharpest of the sharp so why can't I get more shaves out of them? :001_unsur

You aren't the only one. I get 3 shaves average with a blade. Any more than that and it's just miserable.
I use mainly Lord Platinum, Feather, or Persdonna Blue.

I use a blade for two shaves. One shave then turn it over for the second then in the blade bin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3 shaves per blade is decent...I can get 4 - 6 shaves a blade...but it all depends on how many passes you do and how much surface you shave. I do a 2 pass (WTG and ATG), full face shave (beard/neck area and mustache area). Someone else might do only along the side and get 10 - 12 shaves a blade. Others might also include their heads and only get 2 - 3 shaves a blade. Soap also factors into this (what it's made off - clay, glycerin, etc) how it wears the blades edge.

Really, 3 shaves isn't that bad, all things considered.

Well cool! I feel better now knowing I'm not the only one. Would be nice if Feathers weren't so expensive but I have yet to find a better alternative.

Really? I'd always get at least 10 good shaves out of my derby blades.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I'm in the three to four shave department also. Anything more and I risk the blade scraping across my skin. Though I can get about five and sometimes six shaves with a Kai Blade.

As I think a lot of more experienced folks on here would say, YMMV.

For me, maybe I could get that fifth, sixth, shave out of a blade. But why risk it at the expense of a poor shave? Blades are cheap (in the grand scheme). Am I throwing money away changing after three or four shaves? Maybe. But it's worth it to me (plus I get to try out more blades that way).:001_302:

Prep can make a difference too. My blades last about one shave longer when I do a full shower, then kyle's prep. But I normally get 2-3 shaves per blade. Thick, coarse (even after kyle's prep) daily shaving here. You're not alone!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I toss my blades after 2 shaves, regardless of brand.
I could push them further, but why bother?

DE blades are cheap.
DE blades are readily available when you need new ones.
DE blades are designed to be DISPOSABLE.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I hear about some of you going 5 or more shaves with one blade and it blows my mind. I use Feathers and can maybe get 3 shaves if I'm lucky. After that the blade chews me up something awful. I think I could get 2-3 with Sharks. Pretty much every other blade I've tried I could only go 1-2 (Derby, various Gillettes, Astras).

What gives? I have very thick stubble but so do lots of you guys. Feathers are supposed to be the sharpest of the sharp so why can't I get more shaves out of them? :001_unsur

I have coarse dense growth too so I know where you're coming from.

The longest I've used a Feather blade was 4 shaves in my Tech and the last 2 wernt comfortable. I couldnt bear a 5th.

Derby Extra give me 4 very good shaves. For the price of them thats plenty.

The only suggestion I can make, is keep trying different blades and as your technique evolves, you may find they start lasting longer.

If you like the sharpness of a Feather, as I do, but would like a smoother blade, as I do, try a Gillette Yellow. I find them at least as sharp as Feather and possibly sharper, and quite a bit smoother. I have the 2nd blade of a tuck in my D2 date code SS with 10 shaves on it. The last shave was a 3 pass BBS so its got a lot of life left in it. First shave with it was in my NEW SC and I found it too sharp.

The other blade I really like that combines smoothness and sharpness very well, is Perma-Sharp Super. The first one in my Gillette Regent went well past 12 shaves and I only switched it to try another blade and promptly put another Perma Sharp back in it.

I dont personally see the point of throwing anything away if it still works, regardless the cost.

I only get three shaves with a Feather blade no more as YMMV because everybody is different, some can get anywhere between 2 or 4 shaves with a Feather depending on the of stubble.

I'm there with you. 3-4 shaves max for DE blades. SE and injector blades can get 7-10. Just remember everyone has different facial hair. Some of my friends have very light beards as could probably do 2 to 3 times as many shaves than me on a single blade.

It's been said before that Feathers may be the sharpest but they certainly aren't the longest lasting. That ultra-keen edge is probably ultra-delicate and can't handle much wear and tear.

Personally, I try to use a blade until it no longer shaves properly. I'm not fond of throwing away good metal to rust in a dump--and possibly injure someone at some point. Yet recycling the blades is not a viable option for me, so I try to minimize the number I'm throwing away. To that end, I'm actually playing around with straights and hope to eventually use them exclusively at some point. (not the only reason, but it's a factor)

Oh, and my personal "Excalibur" best is ~20 shaves on a DE blade. I think it was an Astra SP. And yes, I have rather tough/dense facial hair.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
And yes, I have rather tough/dense facial hair.

I thought Otters had fur...

949756.png

I couldnt resist lol.

Top Bottom