What's new

Am I the only one that does this with merkur 2 piece razors?

I make mine 3 piece razors for easier and better cleaning.
The knob stays in because of a little ring around the shaft above the knob that goes into the razor handle. If you pull the knob you can remove the knob and shaft.
There you'll find a little ring that holds the knob in the handle.
If you remove that, the knob won't stay in the handle and when it comes time to clean, you can just take knob out so everything is open for cleaning
Yes, you could just yank out the knob piece every time, but I see that wearing on the playing and these pot metal/zamak razors worst enemy is playing failure
I can post pictures later of what everything looks like but I'm just curious
I didn't do it on my progress, worried about breaking the plastic and not sure if it's the same mechanism.
But did it on all my 34c'c and my 37c.
Disclaimer:
I'm not saying you should do it if you haven't. I take no responsibilities for anyone breaking their razor lol. That would be sad

Just curious if anyone else has done this?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
No, I don't. Mine only get used a few times a year so I don't think that it is necessary in my case. For me it is overkill. I think that we over think too many things these days, not only shaving things but things in general.

No, I don't. Mine only get used a few times a year so I don't think that it is necessary in my case. For me it is overkill. I think that we over think too many things these days, not only shaving things but things in general.
I agree!!!
I had to do it first with one I sent out to be stripped and cerakoted (34c) and when I got it back I liked having the knob piece come out for some reason and for cleaning, so I never put the ring back on.
Then I just did it to my 34g, 34c, and 37c.

R

romsitsa

I convert my 3 piece ones into a 2 piece, if possible. I like the idea of the fixed knob.

No I don't remove the C ring because I like the razor to remain a two piece razor. Maybe annually I strip down and lubricate the knob shaft and C ring with machine oil and that seems to keep it working without any soap build up. In fact I always see oil on the shaft when I strip it down so clearly that regime is working. I also wash the razor after each use as hard water seems to cause a scum build up very quickly.
The Progress, 34C and 37C are designed exactly the same and there is a risk the C ring can get lodged up the handle shaft with removal of the knob which can make it difficult to recover; leave well alone.
The Progress is a 50's design and has stood the test of time. I think the handle is made of brass too; certainly the female threaded shaft.

Last edited:
No I don't remove the C ring because I like the razor to remain a two piece razor. Maybe annually I strip down and lubricate the knob shaft and C ring with machine oil and that seems to keep it working without any soap build up. In fact I always see oil on the shaft when I strip it down so clearly that regime is working. I also wash the razor after each use as hard water seems to cause a scum build up very quickly.
The Progress, 34C and 37C are designed exactly the same and there is a risk the C ring can get lodged up the handle shaft with removal of the knob which can make it difficult to recover; leave well alone.
The Progress is a 50's design and has stood the test of time. I think the handle is made of brass too; certainly the female threaded shaft.
i remove the c rings before first use. no risk of ever getting caught. knob comes out every blade change. It's exactly what I'm asking for this thread.
16007790267686192071688071009198.jpg

Aside from my progress or mergress and future all my merkurs are like this.

I do not see the advantage, nor the slightest utility
That inner device in C is a convenience for the user, removing it is as absurd as it is useless (at least in my case)
Well that's one way to be disrespectful but act respectful.
If you don't see a need for it when you read the initial thread starter then just move on.
No reason to comment and act superior and condescending.
It obviously has a use for cleaning for peoe who use theirs more than once a year. That's a use lol I literally said that.
A simple no or not to comment would have been appropriate.
Enjoy your day, sir

Last edited:
I do not see the advantage, nor the slightest utility
That inner device in C is a convenience for the user, removing it is as absurd as it is useless (at least in my case)
It does no good in these forums to just comment on threads and act superior or tell people their ideas are "absurd" and "useless" when I clearly gave my reason and use. The reason and greatness of this forum is the support and help the community gives
If you read something that you don't agree with, that's understandable. But to comment and finish with calling the posters whole thread "absurd" and "useless" helps noone.
That's not why these forums are here.
Youtube is a place for trolling.
We support eachother here. And at least have tact when we express differing opinions.

I like the two piece designs. I've taken it off for cleaning, but I put it back on for re-assembly
Understandable.
I was just curious what people thought
I read that you can damage/lose the c ring in the handle when removing and reinstalling early on (years ago) so I just removed them.
Nothing wrong with using is as it comes. I just like cleaning all inside :cool:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
No reason to do this, Merkur made this a feature for the user to not drop the knob out and onto the floor accidentally.

No need to clean up inside the handle tube regularly at all. Also, I've never understood how the ring gets displaced in some member's razor. Seems highly unlikely during normal use.

:confused1

No reason to do this, Merkur made this a feature for the user to not drop the knob out and onto the floor accidentally.

No need to clean up inside the handle tube regularly at all. Also, I've never understood how the ring gets displaced in some member's razor. Seems highly unlikely during normal use.

:confused1
I agree. If you never remove the knob assembly you'll never have an issue with the c ring or losing the knob.
Totally understood.
Again I'm not trying to tell people to do this. Just wondering if other have. That's all.
I exclaimed the danger of even removing the knob assembly as it comes.
I don't mean to mislead or ask people to do this.
Just wondering if anyone has

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've got a couple of 2-piece razors. One is a Merkur 37, which I did exactly that to. I also did that to my 38C when I had it. Hard water, tallow soap = soap scum. I like to be able to clean it.

My other 2-piece is an all metal Fasan Double Slant. There is no retaining ring on the knob, designed so at the factory.

It's YMMV, and that's mine.

O.H.

Brother 2010,

There's an old saying, but it's still true: Never ask a question if you don't want to hear the complete answer.

You asked the question, if anyone else had done the interesting procedure you described. Part of the complete answer, whether it was Yes or No, is why they have or have not done it?

To give reasons, aids in the learning of all of us. I didn't see any disrespect, expressed or implied, in the answer you received. I too would answer No, as I don't see any great advantage in the procedure, though I do say it was clever.

My Merkur 34c and 37c razors are all clean, inside and out. It's remarkable what a daily flush with hot water also can do. But I confess I also have a bias in keeping things original. Thanks for sharing your inventive modification.

I agree. If you never remove the knob assembly you'll never have an issue with the c ring or losing the knob.
Totally understood.
Again I'm not trying to tell people to do this. Just wondering if other have. That's all.

I don't do it, but I can certainly see the merit. I'm happy to not have the knob drop out, which I guess means that I don't trust myself to not be clumsy.

There is something though that I think needs to be kept in mind and that is that some of us have very hard water which can leave deposits on or in a razor, others have soft water which seems to not do so. I have an idea that the formation of soap scum may depend on water chemistry as well. I don't know the particulars of that but if one keeps seeing buildup on or in a razor, I can certainly see the attraction of taking the ring out.

Totally understood.
I can see doing it either way, not sure why this discussion would descend into a "flame war". I decided to leave the C ring in mine. I don't want the bottom piece falling out as I tend to drop and bang up razors. That is also a big reason I've never sprung for a high-end, gleaming piece of steel or titanium shaving jewelry, great as many of those may be.

Top Bottom