What's new

Am I missing out?

Hello gentlefolk,

I’m quite new to wet shaving and only have the brush that comes with Supply’s kit (I may return the razor / kit in general since I prefer the Rockwell 6C). I’m wondering how do these kit synthetic brushes compare to other synthetic brushes? Say a Trafalgar (or beyond that, Muhle or EJ STF)? Is ignorance bliss? Am I missing out by using this brush?

Separately, I’m also considering trying out a badger brush.

Thank you and cheers to your next shave.

The Muhle/EJ STF are one of my favourite synthetic ever, the brush behaves just like a badger, the gentlemen I got the brush from told me once you use it you will never like any other synth and he wasn't wrong. Just a beautiful brush, I have the 23 mm v1.

As for badgers I would suggest first buy some inexpensive ones like yaqi, being cheap doesn't mean they are garbage. Absolute bang for the buck brushes, then you can decide if you like badgers or not.

Cheers
Rohan

If you don’t mind a smaller brush, I highly recommend the Simpson’s Special in Best or Pure Badger. The Best is about $35 and the Pure about $25. I have both and they are excellent brushes and a great intro to a quality Badger.

for synthetics, I really like Yaqi and Semogue. I can’t comment on the Trafalgar as my T1 and T2 are still on their way from the UK.

Thank you all - so should I take it that the "kit brush" from Supply is not in the same league in terms of experience and usability to some nicer synthetic brushes or even a mid-tier badger?

I’d kindly like to disagree that just because one thing is working for you, you aren’t missing out. Much of this hobby is about experiencing things for ourselves...you won’t know if you’re missing out until you try something and find out.

It’s ideal if you have a trusted friend that can lend you something you’re eyeballing, I realize that’s not always realistic though. Fortunately most of the higher artisan items have decent resale if you have to buy to try and find out it’s not for you.

For synthetics I like the Yaqi Rainbow handle with Pony knot, Yaqi Segreda Familia synth, Razorock’s Big Bruce Plissoft, and Stirling’s 2-band synth. For badgers I like Paladins and SVs.

it really depends on what you like, and what you want. I have been very much into having a few brushes and sticking to those and only those. I have a Simpson Special Pure Badger, I used it for about two years straight, great brush. It's cheap and if you don't like it for whatever reason, you can gift it away and or maybe sell it or whatever.

I would have never found synthetics if I wouldn't have taken the leap, I'm glad I did, I have three of them, and I truly enjoy them.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Be careful. If you start thinking you are missing out you may end up with quite a collection.

It depends on your constitution. For the last few years of my thirty plus with a Crabtree & Evelyn badger I was ready for a new brush. I finally settled on a Kent BK4. Yes, I was definitely missing out, but I have no desire to acquire another brush.

You are really not missing out on anything if you are happy with the brush. When I first started I had a cheap synthetic brush and I also though I missed out. I got an omega boar brush because it was cheap and used it every day and loved it. Then I thought I should step up my game and got a cheap boar brush and also loved it and so on and so on. Now I have over 30 brushes from very cheap to very expensive, relative to my budget. I keep two brushes on my stand, one cheap synthetic and one badger. When I am in a hurry I choose the synthetic and when I have time the badger. It is really up to you but you are warned that you could end up in the rabbit hole we are all in. Try to enjoy the shave more than collecting items.

So I couldn’t resist and ended up buying a Muhle STF and a Duke 3 Best - and in my opinion, I was missing out! The Muhle is so much nicer and softer than the Supply brush and the Duke, while still very new, holds lather incredibly well and really massages my skin. Returned all my Supply stuff in fact.

So I couldn’t resist and ended up buying a Muhle STF and a Duke 3 Best - and in my opinion, I was missing out! The Muhle is so much nicer and softer than the Supply brush and the Duke, while still very new, holds lather incredibly well and really massages my skin. Returned all my Supply stuff in fact.
Awesome! Glad you gave it a go and found something favorable 😎

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
If you are afraid of missing out based on your brush, you may as well buy a bunch. That concern is a sign of impending SBAD. When it comes down to it, the brush doesn't have as much functional benefit compared to the razor, blade, and soap/cream you use which all contribute to the quality of the shave. A nice brush is the icing on the cake. It's more of a luxury item. If you are wondering if you are going to miss out, the SBAD is building up and you'll have a few more brushes in no time anyway. :)

It depends on your goals and your needs I guess.

A nice brush is the icing on the cake. It's more of a luxury item.

That's how I see it too.

I got on perfectly fine for decades with one brush, one razor and two soaps. One day I just decided that carts weren't cutting it (heh) any more and that opened floodgates of experimentation with razors, brushes, and soaps. I don't *need* more than one of any of them but as IMBW identifies, I found brushes in particular to be a pure luxury. In the past I would have denied or postponed the luxury but I'm feeling especially mortal these days and so I enjoy them for their beauty of design and construction, for their varied and often luxurious face-feel, and even for the meditative experience of whipping up a pleasant lather on my face or in a bowl with horse and boar and badger and, uh, whatever synthetics are made of.

If you are afraid of missing out based on your brush, you may as well buy a bunch. That concern is a sign of impending SBAD. When it comes down to it, the brush doesn't have as much functional benefit compared to the razor, blade, and soap/cream you use which all contribute to the quality of the shave. A nice brush is the icing on the cake. It's more of a luxury item. If you are wondering if you are going to miss out, the SBAD is building up and you'll have a few more brushes in no time anyway. :)

So really what you're saying is...I need to focus on acquiring more razors, blades, and soaps? :)

The brush (knot) is one aspect of a shaving brush. The handle is another. I'm a handle person myself. That's where all the art or aesthetic is. IMO. The hand is a sophisticated instrument. You might want to see what handle shape your hand likes best. You don't have to buy a bunch, just try a different shape and size. I have a nice Simpsons that I love the shape of, but I wish it was 1.1 - 1.2 times the size.

Same goes for knot setting, although that's pretty easy to figure out. For me, a fan set to 48mm loft. I don't have many of those.

Use science and spreadsheets - not like I did.

-jim

Top Bottom