What's new

Am I crazy to want to spend my money in this instance?

Sorry if I’m being obnoxious by posting and asking for experiences in raise comparisons.

I’m curious if anyone has had the Canadian Pre-War tech and went on to try a Feather as-d2? The build quality of the Feather is eye catching , but obviously if the Canadian 1932 is a better shaver I won’t waste my cash on it.

Sorry if I’m being obnoxious by posting and asking for experiences in raise comparisons.

I’m curious if anyone has had the Canadian Pre-War tech and went on to try a Feather as-d2? The build quality of the Feather is eye catching , but obviously if the Canadian 1932 is a better shaver I won’t waste my cash on it.
Tech rules!

I've got an immediate post war Canadian, probably 1945-51, seems to be a four part originally. I got the head and part of the handle for a bargain price.

Just like this but Made In Canada Pat 1932
proxy.php

It's a superb efficient shaver. Stuck an English fat handle from the era on it. Sweet.

I have not got an AS-D2 so I will not claim anything, but my hunch is I doubt if the AS-D2 Tech 'homage' brings anything astoundingly new to the table, apart from probably excellent build quality and a very high price tag. It seems optimised for Feather blades.

But, if it satisfies an itch..

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

If you're making the rent/mortgage payment, the kids aren't going to school barefoot, and you want it...

The AS-D2 is a very mild razor. Not suprisingly, it shaves well only with the sharpest of blades, like the Feather. If you want to limit yourself to the pricey Feather blades, go for it, but MUCH BETTER razors are available for a lot less.

If it were me, I'd be looking at the Rockwell 6S. All stainless, with differing baseplates to dial in that "sweet spot". A bit less expensive, too.

I have the AS-D1 and about 8 various Techs (1932 Canada included).

They shave similar. The build quality, long handle and handling of the Feather is luxurious. The Tech feels much less luxurious to handle and look at, likely due to the overall weight of the SS Feather. My Feather was about $130 when I purchased and my Techs are $10 local finds.

Neither get used much any more. But when I did use them, the Tech was/is used much more than the Feather. I have spent a year or longer with a Tech without rotating. I would pull out the Feather the odd time for fun.

If I could only have one, I'd choose the Tech. My DE shaving teenagers also prefer the shave from the Tech.

The AS-D2 is a very mild razor. Not suprisingly, it shaves well only with the sharpest of blades, like the Feather. If you want to limit yourself to the pricey Feather blades, go for it, but MUCH BETTER razors are available for a lot less.
Such as?

I

Island

I think the feather is a wonderful razor if one wants an extremely smooth and gentle shave and are willing to do a fair amount of buffing and tolerate a 8.5/10 quality shave. It is indistructable, weighted perfectly and well made. It does need sharp blades. There are better razors if you weigh efficiency over smoothness, but there is always a trade off.

I used to have an AS-D2 and I also used to have about 7 Techs.

One time, on a whim, I put the Feather handle on a post-war Tech and the fat Tech handle on the AS-D2 and did a comparison shave.

The Tech head on the Feather handle shaved and felt exactly like the AS-D2. Conversely, the Feather head on the Tech handle felt and shaved exactly like the Tech.

I determined from this that any perceived difference in the shave between a post-war Tech and the AS-D2 were based on the handle, which is why I sold the AS-D2. Great razor, but really just a stainless steel Tech that covers the blade tabs.

The Canadian Tech of which you speak is more efficient than the AS-D2, for sure. Smooth and comfy, still.

In short, the Canadian Tech is the better shaver for me. I would choose the AS-D2 only if I had to have new and didn't want vintage or if I much preferred having the blade tabs covered.

Having said all that, I really did like the handle of the Feather. I wish somebody would make an aftermarket clone of that thing.

Thank you for the direct comparison. I haven’t been too impressed with the post war British tech I got recently so I hope the Canadian incoming shaves more to my liking.

lasta

Blade Biter
I used to have an AS-D2 and I also used to have about 7 Techs.

One time, on a whim, I put the Feather handle on a post-war Tech and the fat Tech handle on the AS-D2 and did a comparison shave.

The Tech head on the Feather handle shaved and felt exactly like the AS-D2. Conversely, the Feather head on the Tech handle felt and shaved exactly like the Tech.

I determined from this that any perceived difference in the shave between a post-war Tech and the AS-D2 were based on the handle, which is why I sold the AS-D2. Great razor, but really just a stainless steel Tech that covers the blade tabs.

The Canadian Tech of which you speak is more efficient than the AS-D2, for sure. Smooth and comfy, still.

In short, the Canadian Tech is the better shaver for me. I would choose the AS-D2 only if I had to have new and didn't want vintage or if I much preferred having the blade tabs covered.

Having said all that, I really did like the handle of the Feather. I wish somebody would make an aftermarket clone of that thing.
Yintal has that handle, supposedly brass though not stainless.
Screenshot_20231117_105627_Firefox.jpg

It's a hot butter knife, melts away whiskers with next to no blade feel. It's the smoothest and most comfortable razor I've ever tried. 2 passes and its BBS city. Easy qualifies for a daily shaver if needed.

If you're thinking about it, should definitely give it a go. RAD is overrated ;) Worst case can sell back for about the same if you buy preowned.

I had the AS D2 and now I don't. Why? It was so mild I was doing repeated passes, lots of buffing and just generally getting frustrated and PO'd. Nice quality and for what? An inefficient razor that ain't cheap. Lots may disagree but this is what I have found. Stick with the Techs

Top Bottom