What's new

Am I among very few who don't like MWF soap?

I can lather it fine but it is just soap after all. For some reason on the shaving forums its become a status symbol of sorts. If you shave with the "fat" then you must be a serious shaver...and all that.

Their are soaps that offer a more satisfying lather, better protection, and superior scent. I use those. MWF....it's just soap.

+100
It's OK, and I prefer other soaps. If you want the lanolin, Haslinger Schafmilch is better IMHO.

I just received my first puck of MWF. I really liked the shave I got with it last night. I absolutely loved how it left my face feeling. In my very limited experience with it, I would say I could be happy with this as my only soap.

I find it to be very slick (extremely so) but it takes forever to load and the lather is always quick to collapse. But once I accepted that it still shaved very well despite having a horrid looking lather, it grew on me.

I get a good shave out of it, but it's nowhere near the top of my shave soap collection overall.

This pretty much sums my experience as well, although I'm essentially a bowl latherer and it seems almost unanimous that this particular soap works much better with face lathering.

I personally like MWF. I tried it for the first time - lathered like a son of a gun, great slickness and protection - only wish the scent was more aromatic - kind of a vanilla in the shave soap world of scents. One thing I have learned is never throw something away - what you may not like something today - you may love later on.

I love the stuff. For me, I get consistently good lather, and it leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth. I'm also quite fond of the clean laundry-like scent.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I like Mitchell's soap and I'm afraid you are in the minority. I'm sure you'll find a good soap but I will recommend trying it again at a later date, and then using it for a period of time so as to really get to know it a bit. Use cool water. My water is hard and I swirl a bit with a wet brush and come back after a few minute shower and it kicks right up for me.

I just ordered another puck and I don't do that very often. :w00t:

Hey Doug. I don't mind being in the minority, but I'll give your recommendation a try.

I like Mitchell's soap and I'm afraid you are in the minority. I'm sure you'll find a good soap but I will recommend trying it again at a later date, and then using it for a period of time so as to really get to know it a bit. Use cool water. My water is hard and I swirl a bit with a wet brush and come back after a few minute shower and it kicks right up for me.

I just ordered another puck and I don't do that very often. :w00t:

Count me with the few then, because Mitchell's Wool Fat didn't perform for me. Oddly enough the smell was one of the only redeeming qualities the soap had.

The lather it produced was deceitful. Looked every bit like lather ought to, but when faced with a blade it gave little more protection than straight water.

In addition it caused an unusual amount of burning to my face, and I'm convinced the "unique" post-shave feeling has nothing at all do to with the lanolin. I've used a number of soaps and creams that have lanolin in them, and none of them left my face feeling like MWF did. The unique ingredient is magnesium sulphate, which is likely leaving a thin "smooth" and "soft" film of soap scum on your face.

From http://www.amansguidetoskincare.com/mitchells-wool-fat-shaving-soa-260/

Magnesium Sulphate is more commonly known as epsom salts, water containing magnesium sulphate is known as non-carbonate hardness compound, meaning its presence makes the water “hard”. Non-carbonate means that it can increase the presence of soap scum, or residue.

Interesting. Thanks for weighing in and for the link. Do you mind sharing what the other lanolin soaps and creams that you've had more luck with? I might to give one or two a spin.

Count me with the few then, because Mitchell's Wool Fat didn't perform for me. Oddly enough the smell was one of the only redeeming qualities the soap had.

The lather it produced was deceitful. Looked every bit like lather ought to, but when faced with a blade it gave little more protection than straight water.

In addition it caused an unusual amount of burning to my face, and I'm convinced the "unique" post-shave feeling has nothing at all do to with the lanolin. I've used a number of soaps and creams that have lanolin in them, and none of them left my face feeling like MWF did. The unique ingredient is magnesium sulphate, which is likely leaving a thin "smooth" and "soft" film of soap scum on your face.

From http://www.amansguidetoskincare.com/mitchells-wool-fat-shaving-soa-260/

I am almost done 3017ing a puck of The Fat. "Almost done" means 2-3 more weeks of soap left. This puck should go at least 3 months of use. I started using in on July 1st. Had a week off during a vacation, but I also used randomly before July 1st.
That being said, I won't replace it when it is done. It is a good soap, but like others have said, there are plenty of other soaps that are much easier to work with that have equal or better performance. YMMV.

I just used MWF again last night and got a really great lather out of it. I suspect that face latherers will have an easier time getting a good lather than bowl latherers.

It lathered great for me in a bowl. Sounds like I had more luck with that than many. The feel of a residue that was hard to get off was my primary reason for not enjoying it.

I just used MWF again last night and got a really great lather out of it. I suspect that face latherers will have an easier time getting a good lather than bowl latherers.

It lathered great for me in a bowl. Sounds like I had more luck with that than many. The feel of a residue that was hard to get off was my primary reason for not enjoying it.

It's a YMMV thing, indeed, most people find that to be a good "post shave feel" but I can understand some not enjoying it.

Interesting. Thanks for weighing in and for the link. Do you mind sharing what the other lanolin soaps and creams that you've had more luck with? I might to give one or two a spin.

Haslinger Schafmilch is an excellent soap with lanolin. It has a very mild nonoffensive scent. I find the lather to be a bit more protective than MWF.

Also a couple Artisans, Mikes Natural and some Barrister & Mann soaps have lanolin. Both are excellent performers.

Hey Snowman, Thank you. I've heard of those coming up. I need to check 'em out.

Haslinger Schafmilch is an excellent soap with lanolin. It has a very mild nonoffensive scent. I find the lather to be a bit more protective than MWF.

Also a couple Artisans, Mikes Natural and some Barrister & Mann soaps have lanolin. Both are excellent performers.

I loved MWF until I moved to another city and the water changed. Now it lathers poorly by comparison, the lather fades quickly, and I don't enjoy the shave. It's been put away ever since. It makes me wonder if any man has moved just to be able to use his once-favourite soap.

I loved MWF until I moved to another city and the water changed. Now it lathers poorly by comparison, the lather fades quickly, and I don't enjoy the shave. It's been put away ever since. It makes me wonder if any man has moved just to be able to use his once-favourite soap.

Now that would be a little extreme, but you never know!

Ha ha! That's great! Could have been the factor that pushed some guy just over the tipping point on that decision!

I've never been able to get a decent lather from it. I keep wanting it to do better but it falls behind some stiff competition. Maybe I'm just cut out to be a soft soap and cream lover.

Top Bottom