What's new

Alum block, yes? no?

I like using the Alum block. I use it with the cold water rinse following my shave. I leave it on to dry as I rinse and stow all my other gear. Then I wash it off with more cold water followed by balm. It's great for stopping small weepers and I find the sting refreshing. Or if no sting, I like the feedback letting me know that my technique was good and getting better. Also, I read on this forum that Alum makes a great deodorant. And you know what -- it does! I tried it and it works. So maybe I can offset all my out of control shaving purchases with the money I'll save by not buying deodorant! Now if I can just convince my wife...

I used to but then I ran out a while ago and can't get them in town any longer so I have to wait till I place another order.

Alums have become part of my shaving routine, since I read about them on B&B. Before B&B I didn't have a clue that they even exist. I also love them for how well they work as a deodorant.

I use it.
My aftershave routine :
Cold water rinse
Alum
Wash with glycerin soap (Marco's another way)
Aftershave splash (nivea vitalizing)
Aftershave balm(nivea replenishing/sensitive)

Works for me ,I do wait for the alum to dry ,though.

Last edited:
I use it sometimes, depends on how my shave felt. I think about once a week or so, been skipping it for a while.

I've been working through a sample pack of blades and today I tried a "Vidyut Super-Max" I wasn't too impressed with it but I'm going to use the entire pack just to see.

Anyway I didn't think much of it and I was moving through my post shave routine and I used my alum block.

WOW one heck of a burn! Me thinks I'll be using Witch Hazel for these blades.

I'm off to research these blades.

Can you sometimes taste the alum when rinsing it off?

I've had the razorock alum for a while but have only used it daily recently. Every few shaves I can taste nastiness when rinsing it off, before splashing on a toner or aftershave. Not a pleasant experience.

I found Alum made my skin a lot more red than when I didn't use it. Now that I have less burn and weepers and ingrowns, maybe it would work better for me.

For those who use Witch Hazel and Alum, would it make more sense to use WH before the Alum?

From what I understand, one of the properties of using Alum is that it helps to close your pores. Wouldn't it help to get the WH in your skin as an astringent and then use the Alum as an astringent and to close your pores. And then do a cold water rinse?

I use mine every time I shave. I like the feed back it gives about my shave. Also it seems to make my face feel softer and healthier when I use it everyday.

I only use it to stop bleeders which is very rare, now. You don't really need it, but it can be quite useful.

This.
If you need it, you need it, if not, I find it best to avoid it as it has caused minor irritation.

Also be aware that it will fluoresce if you are getting ready to visit an establishment that uses such lighting :wink:

For those who use Witch Hazel and Alum, would it make more sense to use WH before the Alum?

When I started with the DE and straight, I had bought into the full post-shave routine (never did buy into the pre-shave oil).
I'd shave, rinse, apply the alum block, then while that was drying, clean up the brush and razor, then rinse the alum off with witch hazel, followed by aftershave.

Now, it's probably been close to 18 months since I've touched the witch hazel, and I've used the alum block maybe 4 times in the last year.
Shave, rinse, aftershave, done.

I find that if I use the Alum Block it intensifies my razorburn. My neck looks horrible. If I use Thayers WH is it much better. It seems I have a bad reaction to rubbing the Alum around my neck.

I used Razorock alum for the first time this morning and it felt great. I usually rinse with Lucky Tiger menthol and then apply AS but today I skipped the Lucky Tiger and used the alum block. This may become a habit.

Top Bottom