What's new

Alternatives to the fat Wallets

I have seen a couple of posts in here and there talking about wallets and card holders etc. Personally, I've tried to go as minimalistic as possible for a while now. I already carry 2 cellphones in my pockets and don't need a huge wallet to go along with it.

The problem is there are times where I carry a lot of cards and other stuff with me and other times where I can go with only a few cards.

So here is my approach. I use a card holder and a money clip. This allows me to switch up for days when I have a lot of cards but not as much cash on me, I just fold the few notes I have and put it into the card holder with the rest of my cards.

On days where I am going out lets say drinking, and only an ID and 1 card and cash will do, I just use the money clip,

For the days when I am on the road travelling for work and need to bring all my cards (personal and business) + ID I use both.

Here is a pic of the card holder and wallet I use. The card holder is a bottega veneta vn card case, and the money clip is a M-Clip Money clip. The money clip is probably one of the best one's I have used. It doesn't ever stretch out no matter how full it is, and it will even grip 1 note with a death grip.

Anyhow are there any other minimalists out there? What are you guys using?

$photo (3).jpg

Like you I have used a money clip (Duckbill) and a card wallet (Hartmann). The one issue I have with a money clip is it does not protect the bills from wear in your pocket if you carry anything else in with it such as a knife or flashlight. Recently I have been using a Mitchell Money Clip wallet, which I have grown to like. It protects the bills and you also do not have to take the entire clip a part to fish out a bill, unlike a standard money clip, or deal with folded bills. I also like several of the Bellroy products such as the Slim Sleeve (if you can deal with folded notes).

I went with a minimalist wallet about 5 years ago and never looked back. I purchased the Saddleback ID wallet about 1.5 years ago to replace the dept store front pocket wallet I wore out, and love it. Perfect size, bulletproof, and looks great.

2 id's, total of 6 plastic cards (debit, credit, health insurance, etc.), and enough room for a decent number of bills.

Legion

Staff member
You want minimal and thin? This is what I carry. One card, Drivers licence, public transport card, plus cash. In kangaroo leather, it is about as thin as a wallet can get.

I'm ditching my Saddleback wallet and going with my old trusty ACM wallet. I only carry cards these days anyway.

You want minimal and thin? This is what I carry. One card, Drivers licence, public transport card, plus cash. In kangaroo leather, it is about as thin as a wallet can get.

wow that is beyond minimalistic. can we get some more pics of that?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I like something less than a brick on my behind, my choice for a time has been a front pocket jobbie made out of salmon skin, max thickness 7/16 ths inch with a drivers license, CPL, Health Card, Credit Card, Bank/ATM, a couple three business cards, and twenty seven bills. It is permissible to put in the back pocket also

$IMG_6556.jpg

I like your solution Boris. I'm semi in the market for a front pocket wallet (or a nice slim card wallet). I almost NEVER carry cash, so just spaces for my cards and preferably an ID window would be awesome.

Legion

Staff member
wow that is beyond minimalistic. can we get some more pics of that?

Sure. I took the chain off it. I don't need it since it fits fine in a front pocket. It has three compartments. If you put the cards in the outer two they hold the notes in the middle one tight like a money clip.

Last edited:
I have had an All ETT sail cloth wallet for years. Once past the oddity of the material the function is great.

After a few different front-pocket wallets, I've settled on a phone case from Pad & Quill that looks like a Moleskin notebook. It holds my driver's license (clear ID window), 3 credit cards, and usually 4-5 bills of varying denomination. I figured that since I'm carrying the phone anyway, I might as well use the space it already takes up in my pocket (or jacket, or bag) to carry my "wallet stuff." I've previously always carried my phones "naked" (no case), and while the P&Q adds considerably to the size of the phone, I feel the trade-off by not carrying a wallet is worth it. One less thing in my pockets! I've been using it for about 5 months and I love it, and don't see going back to a wallet anytime soon. People ask me about it or comment on it all the time.

$iphone5_lpb_cropped-key.jpg

I like something less than a brick on my behind, my choice for a time has been a front pocket jobbie made out of salmon skin, max thickness 7/16 ths inch with a drivers license, CPL, Health Card, Credit Card, Bank/ATM, a couple three business cards, and twenty seven bills. It is permissible to put in the back pocket also
Is that a rogue wallet by chance? If so, how do you like it?

After a few different front-pocket wallets, I've settled on a phone case from Pad & Quill that looks like a Moleskin notebook. It holds my driver's license (clear ID window), 3 credit cards, and usually 4-5 bills of varying denomination. I figured that since I'm carrying the phone anyway, I might as well use the space it already takes up in my pocket (or jacket, or bag) to carry my "wallet stuff." I've previously always carried my phones "naked" (no case), and while the P&Q adds considerably to the size of the phone, I feel the trade-off by not carrying a wallet is worth it. One less thing in my pockets! I've been using it for about 5 months and I love it, and don't see going back to a wallet anytime soon. People ask me about it or comment on it all the time.

View attachment 349567

I love this concept, but I can't help but feel that it would be inconvenient when actually taking a call on the phone. You'd be holding back the cover with all your credit cards and ID hanging out right?

Legion

Staff member
I love this concept, but I can't help but feel that it would be inconvenient when actually taking a call on the phone. You'd be holding back the cover with all your credit cards and ID hanging out right?

And I cant help feeling that the electromagnetic radiation pouring out of the phone would eventually scramble up the magnetic strip on the cards.

I suspect you are supposed to pop the phone out and then hold it normally, but I agree that this sounds a bit obnoxious.

I either fold the cover back to talk on the phone, or take it out of the case, which isn't hard. And for 5 months I've had credit cards in the slots 24/7, never a problem with any of them. . .

That does seem kind of cumbersome, I wonder if anyone makes something similar that allows you to talk while the phone case is closed.

That does seem kind of cumbersome, I wonder if anyone makes something similar that allows you to talk while the phone case is closed.

I've seen cases that have card slots on the back of the phone and an open front. Not as cool or as much storage, but still practical. I guess you could pop the phone out to use it... but then the phone isn't protected when you're actually using it and I'd say its more likely to get dropped or nicked while you're using it than while its just in your pocket.

Top Bottom