What's new

Alternatives to mustache wax?

Is mustache wax the only thing to tame a mustache or are there other products? I use Dandy Candy Original Moustache Wax now. I'm happy with the control is provides, but I'm wondering if there's something that leaves the hair more natural looking.

Natural looking is hard to come by. In my limited experience, Taylor of Old Bond Street "moustache wax" is the most natural looking, but is a cream in a tube. Scent is light, pleasant, and very "TOBSy." My first impression was that it provided no hold at all, like applying hand lotion to your moustache. I tried it a few weeks later with dryer moustache hair. I found the moustache hair "fluffier" and very natural in look and texture. The hold was much better than my prior experience.

An alternative product I have seen discussed is Got2B Glued in its strongest formulation. Many liked its performance over the waxy feel, but I have not tried it. Elmers purple glue stick is non toxic, and popular among those in competitions. Again, no personal experience there.

Since then I have trimmed things down and have not used any product. There was bit of discussion here: Moustache at 4 Months; My Wax Experiences - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/moustache-at-4-months-my-wax-experiences.605821/

Some of it depends on how much hold you want. I make my own, so I have no experience with the commercial options out there, but one thing I sometimes do is apply a little beard oil (mine are either argan or grapeseed based) and let it soak in before applying wax. Then I lightly comb through the mustache after the wax sets. You can also apply the wax as normal, no oil, hit the whole thing with a hairdryer and then comb through it. It's a more natural look but with some control. My current batch of wax is medium hard, I would say. Strong enough to hold a handlebar, but soft enough that it can be applied without external heat.

Good information! I put my hair gel on my mustache this morning. I didn't work at all! I did it for the sake of science. :)

Experiment with how much you use, using heat(blow dryer), and different products. Get a nice comb if you don’t already have.

If you want real light hold, but nice scents, check out stache salt.
I am a big user and supporter of Captain Fawcett’s wax. Firm enough to sculpt my handlebars when I want to style them, but also can go the other way as well.

This is waxed right up but I feel it looks pretty natural at the moment.

Attachments

• 3868519E-28CB-4D44-8A04-43DB9CD209B9.jpeg
    3868519E-28CB-4D44-8A04-43DB9CD209B9.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 32
Top Bottom