What's new

Alternative to shaving bowl

I know that purpose-built shaving bowls have some sort of ridges in the
base to help agitate the cream/soap, and produce the lather.

I'm planning on using a used container of Pana Cremates Nuavia as a
shaving bowl. These are the old ceramic bowls that are generously built
and deep.

Would this work?

I read a hack that suggested glueing 2-3 coins on the base to act as ridges...
but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice (please don't say I should buy a shaving bowl
as they're on discount at maggards or wherever).

The most important thing is probably the size and shape of the bowl. This depends also on the size brush you like to use. A good size bowl IMHO is about 4.5 - 5.0 inches in diameter and 2.5 - 3.0 inches deep.

Ridges and so forth are not necessary but will help build the lather faster. A rougher, pebbled type of surface can work well. Some type of texture is good, but even a smoother surface can be made to work if you are patient.

I know that purpose-built shaving bowls have some sort of ridges in the
base to help agitate the cream/soap, and produce the lather.

I'm planning on using a used container of Pana Cremates Nuavia as a
shaving bowl. These are the old ceramic bowls that are generously built
and deep.

Would this work?

I read a hack that suggested glueing 2-3 coins on the base to act as ridges...
but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice (please don't say I should buy a shaving bowl
as they're on discount at maggards or wherever).
For years, I used a smooth ceramic latte cup which was, essentially, a small bowl with a handle. Worked fine. My recently acquired Captain's Choice does not make lather any better but is safer for me to use in the bathroom. I would NOT glue coins into the bottom of a bowl, they are totally unnecessary. A lot of people in the business suggest something that's about 4" wide at the top and about 2" deep. Not too steeply sloped, straighter sides preferred. But back in the day, and even still, guys lathered in what are essentially diner mugs on top of a cake of soap. Those containers look a little small but what's the harm in trying it?

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I use a bamboo bowl made by Pampered Chef. It is smooth and not shaped "properly" but it works just fine. Only issue is I clank the brush handle on the side of the bowl sometimes.

I use a ceramic ramekin. It fits a 2.5 Oz soap puck perfectly and I find it more comfortable than a handled mug. I've never tried a large 4" bowl, mainly due to limited storage space in the bathroom.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My Stef Baxter lipped shaving bowl had inverted ridges, if you will.... it works well. I also bought the Timeless plastic bowl for travel. It has some raised ridges but they aren't too sharp so they won't cause unnecessary wear to the brushes.

When I wanna use a bowl now, I just grab a random Tupperware or one the lady's oversized coffee mugs and go to town. I used to have a SymetricalPottery bowl with bumps etc and I can honestly say after giving it away that I can make just as good a lather in virtually any vessel of sorts. Your bowl WILL work just fine. Honestly, im rather curious to see the darn thing if care to share a pic? Sounds like it looks pretty schnazy! I predominately face and head lather for what its worth.

I'm planning on using a used container of Pana Cremates Nuavia as a shaving bowl...

Would this work?
My advice is to try it without the coins to see how well it works for you.

The coins can always be added later or you may find another option. Once the coins are added it may be rather difficult to remove them without damaging the bowl.

Last edited:
Give it a try and see how you like it. Almost anything will work. A lot of it is down to per als preference.

My ideal bowl is about 105mm across and 48mm deep. Big enough to lather brushes and small enough to stop the brush falling into the bowl full of lather. This size also fits nicely in my palm. I prefer rounded sloping sides. I find this stops the dreaded brush clank that you tend to get with straight sides. A lipped rim is a nice touch.

I don’t go for ridges at all. I don’t find them to be any help and if anything they make it harder to pick up the soap I smear I to the bottom of the bowl. I enjoy a variety of materials from silver, bone China and ceramic to titanium, enamel ware and brass. Whatever the material it should have some weight to it. I like to sit the bowl in an inch of hot water in the sink while shaving. It should be heavy enough that it doesn’t float or capsize.

My favourites are attached. Chances are you already have some good ones in your house.

Attachments

• AF45D661-42A8-4BD8-9AB1-6E9AAE6657B4.jpeg
    AF45D661-42A8-4BD8-9AB1-6E9AAE6657B4.jpeg
    837.7 KB · Views: 32
  • ECBCDFF7-9A00-4AAE-9591-B37B5F23B1CE.jpeg
    ECBCDFF7-9A00-4AAE-9591-B37B5F23B1CE.jpeg
    898.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 28C0D4C8-8218-4D9F-AE27-9CE1E94C2EA6.jpeg
    28C0D4C8-8218-4D9F-AE27-9CE1E94C2EA6.jpeg
    958 KB · Views: 30
  • B495EB8A-069F-4FC9-8BBA-0E59CC58D04C.jpeg
    B495EB8A-069F-4FC9-8BBA-0E59CC58D04C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 99EE8E22-EFBF-4CFE-915A-6E6044CF8150.jpeg
    99EE8E22-EFBF-4CFE-915A-6E6044CF8150.jpeg
    737.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 0D96D296-B8A6-4620-9D80-A2DF2A7AE4F8.jpeg
    0D96D296-B8A6-4620-9D80-A2DF2A7AE4F8.jpeg
    755.1 KB · Views: 34
I have many bowls and scuttles but face lather 99% of the time now.
I find a bowl that has a lip the most useful.
A lip that is turned in!
This helps keep the lather in the bowl while working up the lather. 4" by 2". But about anything will work.

By the way, the ceramic Nuavia bowl isn't just old but also hard to find especially if both the bowl and lid are in good condition. If you don't believe me, advertise it in the BST forum and see how long it lasts. But once you glue coins in the bottom of it, it's just another bowl.

I have tried a number of sizes and shapes of cups and bowls around the house, but I keep coming back to my favorite: a plastic Philadelphia Cream Cheese tub. It is oblong and fits perfectly in my hand. If I drop it or knock it off the edge of the sink it doesn’t break. Aesthetically, oy, I put it in the cabinet as soon as it’s dry.

B.jpg

That's the one I have. Guess I will give it a try sans coins and see how it goes.
They are quite heavy and substantial in form. I don't mind if the brush clanks on the sides
a bit...I dont baby any of my stuff except razors hehe.

Internal diameter is abt 9cm and height abt 5.5 cm so might work.

Thanks for the tips guys...learnt a lot.

Reactions: bjm
I have a few small glass Pyrex & Anchor Hawking bowls that I use for shaving. It really depends on the size of the soap.

I have limited shelf space so I usually buy sample soaps to try out varieties.

Top Bottom