What's new

Al's Straight Journal

Shave #7 last night (I skipped Monday due to a bad headache). Another good run, I lathered with Stirling's Black Ice again. Three passes, no cuts or issues. I tried experimenting a little with different angles and approaches. No blood, cuts or nicks this time out. Though this shave felt smoother overall through the process, the shave wasn't as close as last time I wound up with another DFS. No irritation.

Thanks. I'm enjoying it and it is nice to get to a stage where I'm not nicking myself or having much feedback from the alum block. Now it I could only dial it in so the shave is closer. So far I've avoided using the r41 (or other DEs) while trying to learn this, but I miss the regular BBS shaves.

Thanks. I'm enjoying it and it is nice to get to a stage where I'm not nicking myself or having much feedback from the alum block. Now it I could only dial it in so the shave is closer. So far I've avoided using the r41 (or other DEs) while trying to learn this, but I miss the regular BBS shaves.
I found that eliminating the DE shave enhanced my learning appreciably. I would spend the day feeling my face, and planning straight razor techniques to eliminate the problem areas. If there were a DE cleanup, this process could not happen.

Shave #8
I did it. It's been a couple days since I've shaved, between running my daughter around and shaking off a cold I've been too tired to put forth the effort. Wednesday night after my comments above, I was tempted to return to the r41 for a nice BBS, but rather than succumb to that temptation, I forewent shaving altogether. I had today off, so I didn't shave last night, but was determined to get up and give it a go this morning. Before doing so, I went out to check the mail from yesterday and was glad I did. A pass around box from the Nib had arrived and in it I found a tub of SRD vetiver soap. I decided to put it to the test.

During the shower, I tried something new. I used my wife's face soap and worked it into a good lather and let it sit while I washed up, then rinsed. Following the shower, I lathered with the SRD soap, then stropped my blade and set out on the shave. I did a full three passes WTG/ATG/XTG. Afterward I found myself left with a full BBS. Finally. I did pick up two very minor nicks along the way. One on my second pass by the corner of my mouth (right side) and another on my upper lip. The one by my mouth came from overworking an area a bit and I'm not certain about the upper lip as it didn't start bleeding until I was in the middle of clean up. The alum block gave a little feedback, but not much. Afterward I have slight irritation, but again, not much.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Sounds like it is getting better. It helps when there is even the slightest improvement.

Shave #9 last night.

this one felt like a bit of a step back. After reaching a BBS on Friday, I allowed myself to try out a GEM that came in a passaround box from the Nib. I'd promised myself that I'd only shave straight until I was able to reach BBS, so it was nice that I managed that the morning I got the box.

At any rate, given the long weekend, I didn't shave again until Monday night. Though I don't regret trying out the GEM I think waiting so long between straight shaves was a bit of a mistake. The shave felt clumsy and I felt like I'd forgotten some grips and angles that had led to success with my last few shaves. My main trouble was working around the chin area--I just couldn't find the right angles and approaches to get it right. I didn't wind up with any horrible cuts, though I did have a couple minor weepers in an overworked area under my chin.

Overall, I shouldn't be too frustrated with it. I managed to come out with a DFS (and BBS in many places), but the experience wasn't relaxing and therefore not as rewarding despite a generally decent shave.

Shave #10 this morning.

In an act of overconfidence I decided I would try to shave this morning before leaving for work. This was a foolish idea for a few reasons. First, since starting wetshaving in January, I've rarely shaved in the morning on work days. I don't leave myself enough time in the morning and wind up feeling rushed and end up causing damage I shouldn't cause. Today was no exception.

I found myself running fifteen minutes ahead of schedule and figured if I were quick with my shower, I could squeeze in a quick shave (I hadn't shaved the night before because I got home very late). So with a little sleep deprivation and a lot of arrogance I soaked my brush & soap then hopped in the shower. After getting out of the shower, I had the wise idea of switching soaps. I'd prepped my Stirling Black Ice, but last Friday I'd had a great shave (my best so far) with SRD vetiver. So at the last minute I swapped out, which was mistake #2.

I lathered up and began my shave. the first side of my face went pretty well. I had a small nick, but otherwise things seemed pretty normal. When I started work on the other side of my face though, I took a strange stroke on my cheek and gave myself a pretty good slice in an otherwise easy area. Later in the shave I wound up with a couple marks from misplaced blades, reminiscent of the ones I had on my first shave.

I started to relather for pass #2 and realized I was low on lather (remember my mistake swapping soap?). I was able to squeeze the brush and get enough for the pass, but this has never been an issue.

All in all, I finished with a 2 pass shave that wound up about CCS, but also with some wounds that I shouldn't have had. Positive notes, despite my arrogance, are that I completed the shave and still didn't require touchups. Also, I didn't have issues around the chin. This second one makes me wonder if when taking my time I'm overthinking on some tough spots. I certainly don't want to rush my shaves like I did today, but it might help to also not overthink some of these areas.

So, I wish I wouldn't have gone against my better judgment, but in the end, I live to shave another day.

just like you Al...when I was just starting there were times I got over confident or just didn't focus and paid the price...you are doing great and the shaves will get better and better...I never thought I would become as proficient with a straight as I am now, and my shaves are still getting better...don't worry, it will come!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not too worried about it, I just need to make sure I keep my head in the game & don't do anything stupid while learning the ropes. I have a new-to-me razor in the mail from ebay, which looks like it will be properly honed.

Though I need to shave tonight, I may skip the straight and opt for the r41. My daughter has a graduation tomorrow (8th grade) and though I'd prefer to stick with the straight, it might be wise to use something that is less likely to leave marks.

So Friday I had a struggle deciding to shave with the r41. I really wanted to use my straight, but also wanted to ensure a close, presentable shave without cut and scratches left in the aftermath. Given the risk, I broke down and went with the r41. In the end I was glad I did. I had a wonderful shave that resulted in a very easy, smooth 2 pass BBS. Though this had become the general expected standard for my r41 shaves, I was surprised at how much the straight shaving seemed to benefit my technique with the r41. It was an effortless shave that went very quickly.

Last night i came home at 2:30 am to a package holding my new-to-me straight, a 6/8 Jospeh Rodgers & Co (not to be confused with Joe & his sons fame) wedge razor. This razor looked and felt substantially bigger and heftier than my other razor. Still fairly smooth from my morning shave with the r41 I waited until this morning to give the new razor a test drive.

Shave #11

After regular shower prep, I lathered up with Stirling Black Ice again and set out on the shave. The extra heft of the wedge was nice and the shave was smooth. I did a 3 pass shave + touch ups which resulted in a DFS shave on all but the area on either side of my adam's apple. I'm not sure why, but maybe due to the size & handling of this razor I felt a little more comfortable working in some more difficult areas and therefore was a little less tentative. The shave was bloodless, which was a nice bonus.

Hang in there, and the urge to use a DE will subside. Not to say that shaving with straights is necessarily quicker, but you'll likely much prefer to use straights soon enough.

It wasn't so much an urge to use the straight--quite the opposite actually. It was the need to guarantee with reasonable certainty that I wouldn't butcher my face since I had to attend my daughter's graduation. While I've started seeing success in bloodless straight shaves, it still isn't a guaranteed outcome.

I love it it that the one of a couple of DE razors that has the reputation of hacking up your face if you don't have your head in the game is being presented here as an auto - pilot and easy shave with a DE. It goes to show that it is all relative.

Shave #12 last night. My second shave with the wedge. This one went well and was nearly bloodless--I had a couple very minor weepers on my 3rd pass as I overworked some areas, but they never really bled & closed up before I even finished the pass. I did 3 passes and again felt confident with the blade on all three. The only area I really had problems with was on either side of the adam's apple. Hair grows E/W here and especially with the straight is difficult to get to. Overall the shave resulted in a DFS+ which settled in to a BBS in most areas (all but the adam's apple area and a small patch on the right side of the neck) about an hour after the shave.

Shave#13 last night, again with the wedge. Things are progressing and I'm feeling more confidence. The results of the shave were very similar to #12, though maybe a bit closer to BBS. I used Stirling Black Ice again and followed up with PAA Cavendish ASB.

Shave #14 last night

Went back to my whipped dog special hollow last night and had a great shave. I'm fairly confident now (hopefully without being overconfident) that I can achieve a reliable DFS shave in two passes relatively blood-free. Of course that's not what I want--I'm here for the promise of the superior shave to the r41--but it is reassuring to see my confidence grow in handling the straight. A week ago I didn't have the same confidence, when I opted for the r41 to ensure a reliable shave. Were that same decision before me today, I think I'd go to the straight.

So anyway, I skipped the shower prior to the shave last night, so instead I used some Trumper's Lime skin food and some hot towels for the prep. I face lathered with Stirling Black Ice again (my current preferred soap) then stropped the blade. Following some careless wounds a few shaves back with the hollow, I'd been a bit leery of it and since receiving the wedge last Saturday, I've opted for that for all my shaves. I decided last night it was time to return to the hollow.

Yesterday in a couple journals on here, I read some details regarding stropping. At the moment, I have a WD poor man's strop with some cosmetic blemishes. I figured if I was going to nick up a strop, I might as well start off with something cheap. Surprisingly I haven't nicked the strop and am able to strop at a pretty decent speed without issues. early on I'd started to turn the razor the wrong way a couple times, but caught myself and stopped before causing any damage to the razor or strop. All that said, after reading through the journals, I'm not certain I've been stropping enough. Well, I guess I'd been stropping enough, but I didn't see the potential benefits of going beyond 40-50 passes. I was both worried that poor stropping technique could dull the blade and also that excessive stropping might actually cause some issues. Anyway, last night I decided to give myself the freedom to stop some more (about 100 passes before the shave) and anecdotally I think this led to a smoother shave.

But that wasn't the big break through in the shave. Generally my first two passes go quickly, routinely and fairly smoothly. It is in the third pass that I begin to feel the confidence to begin experimenting with things, especially when cleaning up areas. So last night as I was cleaning up some areas toward the end of the 3rd pass, I leaned into the mirror and began work on my chin where I was still sporting some stubble. I began to experiment with the part of the blade I was using. I'd done this previously on one of my first shaves, noticing the difference between use of the toe and use of the heel, but in more recent shaves I haven't consciously played with these variables as I've been concentrating on other things. I took the heel of the blade over the corners of my chin and wound up with what was probably the closest pass on this area of my chin ever (r41 included). I've had a few times in shaving past with the r41 where I seem to have discovered a whole new level of BBS smoothness that makes all past BBS shaves pale in comparison. This was like that, though only in those areas, not over my whole face. I tried playing with similar technique over the hard spots on either side of my adam's apple, and while I wasn't able to bring them to BBS I did get them much closer than recent attempts.

Overall (aside from the adam's apple area) the shave did result in an overall BBS, though not as smooth as my better r41 shaves. However, the area on my chin shows that much closer, smoother shaves await as I hone my technique. I had some feedback from the alum block, mostly in areas I'd experimented with in clean-up. I finished off the shave with PAA Cavendish ASB again, then this morning applied the Veg.

I probably won't be shaving again until sometime Saturday due to time limitations. I'll probably pull out the wedge again since I haven't had a chance to see it mow down a couple days of growth.

Top Bottom