What's new

Allen Edmond Stands- Fit vs. Park Avenues

I have a pair of AE Park Avenue's in 8.5 EEE that fit great- if anything, they might be ever so slightly too wide. Thanks to a Morton's Neuroma, I have to wear wide shoes (+ Metatarsal pad).

I recently ordered a pair of Strand's in 8.5 3E (since they are on the same last as the PA's) and they fit very tight. So tight that I actually had the neuroma pain in my foot at the end of the day.

I assumed that since they were built on the same last that the shoes should fit the same. Is that the wrong assumption?

Is it possible that something is wrong with the shoe? The shoe is marked as 3E inside and on the box I received it in, but if you put it side by side with my PA's, it does appear noticeably narrower.

I suppose is is possible that the shoe will break in after a few wearings, but I did not have this issue with the Park Avenue's- They fit perfect from the first wearing.

Not sure if I should try to return these, exchange for another pair (if it's possible that these are mislabeled or "defective") or just stick it out and hope that they will break in.

The shoes look absolutely incredible. It would be sad if I couldn't get a good fit.

Thanks!

They are built on the exact same last (the Welted 65 last). I have both the Park Aves and the Strands in EEE and they both fit well on my foot. They don't fit exactly the same, but I would assume that's based on wear and how I've broken them in. I will say it took a little bit of time to break both of them in. They don't widen but they contour. For the Strands I would recommend applying some good leather conditioner to help the break-in process and get them soft and supple.

Have you been to an Allen-Edmonds store? If you haven't, it might make sense to get properly fitted. When I first started buying AE's, I bought them from Nordstrom's great summer sale, and I found out later by visiting an AE store that I had bought about 1/2 a size too large. Nordstrom's customer service is impeccable and let me swap although I had been wearing both for about six months. But one thing the saleswoman at the AE store told me is that, especially with dress shoes, you want to feel the shoe on your foot. I found when I had the wrong size on, my foot was moving around a little bit and so I would "fight" my step a little bit and my feet would be a little worn out by the end of the day. But with the proper fit, its like wearing slippers. So based off of her recommendation, it actually sounds like the Park Aves might be the "wrong" size and the Strands might end up being the "right" size.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I've been fitted, but go to a wider size due to the neuroma. I did consider going to a 8.5 2E when I ordered the Stands, but am glad that I didn't, since these seem to be so much more narrow.

I'm giving the Strands a break today, but will try to wear them again over the weekend to see if I can break them in some more. I do have a shoe stretcher, but hope not to have to resort to that on these shoes if possible.

I just didn't expect that there would be such a difference between 2 shoes built on the same last.

I hope that the shoes will break in and fit better, as aside from the fit, they look great. I go them in the bourbon color.

You are correct that the fit should be about the same. If the fit is too tight, I doubt they will stretch enough to be comfortable.

I have seen a mislabeled pair in the AE factory outlet store, which was clearly shorter than others at the exact same size and style, probably a full size less than what was stamped inside the shoes.

I searched but could not find the thread, but if was roughly one year ago I think. Where a fellow member posted some pictures of their Dalton or Long Branch boots, after they had ordered a second pair of a different color. But the second pair arrived and looked visibility different in width, especially from directly above. I can not remember what he said about the fit, but I think he kept them.

Well, looks like the shoes were mislabeled. I wound up getting another pair which fit perfectly in 8.5 3E.

Good to know! I don't have the Park Avenues, but do have a pair of Strands and Fifth Avenues. The fit should be the same. Though I did notice that it took significantly longer to break in the Strands. I'm assuming that this is due to all the extra leather on the upper.

Top Bottom