What's new

All Hail American Cheese

Everyone loves American Cheese, right? Why do we love it so much? What brands are our favorites? How do we eat it?

I'm partial to New Yorker brand although I think the quality has slipped a bit since Land o' Lakes acquired it.

I eat a slice everyday when I get home from work. I tell my wife I'm getting my "after school snack".

Let's discuss American Cheese. :001_tt1:

Well, american cheese is barely cheese, but it definitely has it's place. Grilled cheese sandwiches just wouldn't be the same without it!

Loves? No.

But it has it's place on a grilled cheese or burger. Ignoring the fact that you can make a better version of either with better cheese.

Loves? No.

But it has it's place on a grilled cheese or burger. Ignoring the fact that you can make a better version of either with better cheese.

Absolutely! Grilled cheese with 'real' cheese is much better, but a good old fashioned american cheese version is still good.

Calling that stuff "American Cheese" is like calling budweiser "American Beer." Why we choose to misrepresent ourselves so disgustingly is beyond me. I'll take a slice of tillamook and a Ninkasi with my snobbery please...

Resume loving!

Calling that stuff "American Cheese" is like calling budweiser "American Beer." Why we choose to misrepresent ourselves so disgustingly is beyond me. I'll take a slice of tillamook and a Ninkasi with my snobbery please...

Resume loving!

Agreed. 'American' anything seems to get this stimulus as goods that are hyper-processed. Very unfortunate. There are tons of American made products that are of high quality.

hmmm... snobbery that is unwarranted, I'd say. Look: cheese is cheese. Yes, there are different methods of making it, but "american cheese", better known by its correct name of pasteurized process cheese, is, as the FDA states, made from a single cheese, or a number of cheeses, usually Colby and Cheddar - in other words, REAL cheese, not something fake or built with a chemistry set. The reason one uses a process cheese is because it melts much better than 'ordinary' cheese and is useful on sandwiches and burgers. But it's still cheese - while it may not be brie, camembert, or gouda, it's still the number one choice in terms of sales, and adorns every party platter made in the U.S. It tastes mighty good, too. Make mine Kraft, since that's about all I can find here without having to go to some swanky upscale food store. They did invent it, you know - and popularized a taste that is universally recognized as wonderful.

This article might be of interest: http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/stuff/7806sci2.html

American cheese is good on many subs, cheeseburgers and as mentioned, grilled cheese. Also good in omelets. I do like it.

Pastrami, American Cheese and banana pepper rings on Italian bread is a great picnic sandwich for me. (plus Sriracha)

Great post, BRRV.

Ohhhh, I didn't know what you meant by "American Cheese"
Heck yeah! I'm a super fan.
Kraft American Singles are the only ones.
I love 'em on anything.
Especially cold cut sandwiches.
Oh and a must for grilled cheese. No other cheese will do.

I prefer the thin slices to the thick.

Velveeta is a "process cheese spread", so technically it's not an American cheese per se due to it's ingredients. A pasteurized "process cheese spread" is a variation of cheese food, which must contain at least 51% of the cheese ingredient by weight, have a moisture content less than 44%, and have at least 23% milkfat. Quote: "Pasteurized process cheese spread is a variation on cheese food that may contain a sweetener and a stabilizing agent, such as the polysaccharide xanthan gum or the Irish moss colloid carrageenan, to prevent separation of the ingredients. The cheese must be spreadable at 70 F, contain 44 to 60% moisture, and have at least 20% milkfat." I personally prefer pasteurized process American cheese to Velveeta, although Velveeta is a little easier to work with in some respects, since its' spreadable, and a little sweeter.

To be called, precisely, "pasteurized process American cheese" it must be made from cheddar, colby, cheese curd, granular cheese, or a combination. When other varieties of cheese are included, it must be called simply American cheese. It can get a little confusing.

Disclaimer: After college I spent a good many years running hotels, and was trained as a chef by the company I worked for as I worked my way through the management program.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
hmmm... snobbery that is unwarranted, I'd say. Look: cheese is cheese. Yes, there are different methods of making it, but "american cheese", better known by its correct name of pasteurized process cheese, is, as the FDA states, made from a single cheese, or a number of cheeses, usually Colby and Cheddar - in other words, REAL cheese, not something fake or built with a chemistry set. The reason one uses a process cheese is because it melts much better than 'ordinary' cheese and is useful on sandwiches and burgers. But it's still cheese - while it may not be brie, camembert, or gouda, it's still the number one choice in terms of sales, and adorns every party platter made in the U.S. It tastes mighty good, too. Make mine Kraft, since that's about all I can find here without having to go to some swanky upscale food store. They did invent it, you know - and popularized a taste that is universally recognized as wonderful.

This article might be of interest: http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/stuff/7806sci2.html
BRRV:
+ 1 and I couldn't agree with you more, but I wonder if there are any Cheesemongers amongst us and what would they add
or rebuttt.
proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php
"Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese". Billie Burke

PS Besides loving American Cheese (grilled cheeses, omeletts, ect...it does have many great uses),...I happen to 'go bonkers' every time when I'm around Broiled (drizlzled with Olive Oil and fresh cracked sea salt and black pepper), Stilton Bleu Chesse
and Fresh Figs for dessert. I'm in Culinary heaven!!!.
proxy.php

Attachments

• $Black%20Mission%20Fig.jpg
    $Black%20Mission%20Fig.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Velveeta is a "process cheese spread", so technically it's not an American cheese per se due to it's ingredients. A pasteurized "process cheese spread" is a variation of cheese food, which must contain at least 51% of the cheese ingredient by weight, have a moisture content less than 44%, and have at least 23% milkfat. Quote: "Pasteurized process cheese spread is a variation on cheese food that may contain a sweetener and a stabilizing agent, such as the polysaccharide xanthan gum or the Irish moss colloid carrageenan, to prevent separation of the ingredients. The cheese must be spreadable at 70 F, contain 44 to 60% moisture, and have at least 20% milkfat." I personally prefer pasteurized process American cheese to Velveeta, although Velveeta is a little easier to work with in some respects, since its' spreadable, and a little sweeter.

To be called, precisely, "pasteurized process American cheese" it must be made from cheddar, colby, cheese curd, granular cheese, or a combination. When other varieties of cheese are included, it must be called simply American cheese. It can get a little confusing.

Disclaimer: After college I spent a good many years running hotels, and was trained as a chef by the company I worked for as I worked my way through the management program.

Holy cow (pun intended)! Your vast knowledge of American Cheese and processed cheese food impresses me. Nice work!

Never liked it. I prefer sharper cheddars. I wouldn't complain about American cheese in an omlette though.

I tend to collect somewhat "useless" information - and you had to know the different types of cheeses, much the same way you have to know liquor, or wine, or any high end food item, to work in the food and beverage biz; like, for instance, (blue) stilton is traditional to serve with port, etc. And in fairness I used the article I posted for much of the arcane info that I only remembered peripherally. If you are purchasing food for a commercial operation, you have to know what comes in the back door and what to order, precisely - otherwise, when you order process american, and aren't specific, you get something else, usually cheaper to your supplier, who will play all kinds of games with you if you aren't careful. I'm actually glad I "retired" from the hotel biz 20+ years ago.

Never liked it. I prefer sharper cheddars. I wouldn't complain about American cheese in an omlette though.

Yes, to each his own. I don't care for some of the swiss cheeses - too dry and grassy for my taste. And I prefer Monterey Jack, a semi-hard cheddar, on burgers myself.

Last edited:

Resume loving!

i always thought budweiser was American Beer why wouldn't be :confused1

Im a fan of American Cheese. I prefer it in my grilled cheese, hamburgers and sandwiches. I always try using higher end/different cheeses for those applications and always miss plain ol' American.

I am a land o lakes fan, as it is it tastes great and melts very well. I only get the kind from the deli counter as I like it sliced really thin.

If I am going to just eat cheese, or a little cheese and crackers then i go with something else. But for above applications it is my go to cheese.

However, Your cheesage may vary

Not a fan.

I tried it again after reading/viewing a bunch of Josh Ozersky's posts on burgers. He is adamant about the need for American cheese on a cheeseburger but I can't agree.

i always thought budweiser was American Beer why wouldn't be :confused1

it is. american cheese is also american, never said it wasn't, only compared the two. it's unfortunate in my eyes that those products are ubiquitous with a place that is responsible for a number a higher quality ones in their respective culinary categories. I never said I have a problem with you eating kraft cheese and drinking budweiser, I only meant to express my own personal feelings that are uniquely mine and not meant to be imposed anywhere else...

Top Bottom