What's new

Alden Shoe Restoration v. B. Nelson Shoe Restoration

How about some pics.

Now that's what I call a shoe fetish!

Actually, I have had these shoes recrafted by Alden once already. The stitching on the sole basically disintegrated on one of the shoes and it separated quite badly from the upper. I'm not inclined to use Alden's Restoration service again.

+1 for B Nelson... you really cant go wrong. Yes it may be more expensive but in the long run, the shoe will last longer.... kindof like some of the higher end shaving soaps - higher entry cost but lasts longer.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
#1. ORIGINAL PICTURE TAKEN IN SEPTEMEBER, 2012.
5E9F1616-655F-4AC5-B899-21CCEB5E46CB.jpeg

#2. PHOTO TAKEN IN NOVEMBER, 2018.
07ED4162-58FB-4FD3-A7F2-294BEFA542EC.jpeg

Back in September of 2012, I decided to conduct a comparison between the Alden and the B. Nelson shoe restoration process. Here we are 6 years later. The pair that were sent to Alden are still going strong. The pair that I sent to B. Nelson have had some issues. The first issue had nothing to do with B. Nelson’s workmanship. One day while walking down a city sidewalk, the tip of the sole got caught between a crack in the sidewalk and tore the tip of the sole. It was not a big tear but enough that the sole separated from the mid-sole of the shoe and it required my local cobbler to cut about one inch off the sole and repaired it, doing the same on the other shoe for uniformity. (See Dec. 2016 post #138 in this thread for pics.)

The second issue just appeared but I would be hard-pressed to say that any fault lies with B. Nelson.

In reviewing my original post, I did reference an area of the shoe that perhaps needed to be re-stitched (See above Photo #1) and that wasn’t done nor did I specifically request it.

If I had sent the shoes to Alden they may not have done it either or they may have sent the shoes back stating the shoe was not structurally sound enough to do a full restoration and sent them back (which they reserve the right to do). If you look at the original photos of the black NST shoes I don’t think Alden would have refused to do the restoration as the area needing restitching was hardly noticeable.

However, I do think that without the restitching, it may have led to some compromise to the shoe that you can see now which is a tear/crack in the shell cordovan (which is known for its exceptional durability with proper care and maintenance, which I believe I adhered to, and are known to last for decades.) On the other hand, maybe the shoes are just old and the leather, unfortunately, just gave out at one of the highest stress areas after years of regular usage. I would say these particular shoes were worn on average at least once a week.

I would place these shoes somewhere between 15-17 years old. I think I paid in the area of $550 at the time and $125 for the restoration six years ago for a total of $675 spent over the span of those years. (The cost of these same shoes today... nearly $800). I plan to keep on wearing these shoes until I think they are unwearable or unsightly (in my mind’s eye).

All in all, I am displeased? On the contrary. I am very pleased by the fact that I got another 6 years out of these shoes (which I will continue to wear for some time to come). I will post pics as these shoes progress into its death throes. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Also, the Black Straight Tip Bluchers I utilized for comparison purposes with the Mahogany Straight Tip Bluchers after the Mahogany pair were restored back in 2012 (see previous photos) were sent to Alden last week and should be done in 6-10 weeks. They were essentially in the same condition as the Mahogany pair when they were sent in. I would venture a guess at being close to the same age as the NST’s. (approx. 15 years old). I will post pics when they arrive.

Finally, since 2012, the cost of the Alden restoration has increased by just $16 from $159 in 2012 to $175 in 2018. Not bad considering the craftsmanship utilized in this process and the fact that their restoration package includes shoe trees and cloth shoe bags.

B. Nelson, on the other hand, has had a much more dramatic increase over the years. The same repair that I had done in 2012 for $125 has increased by $35 and now costs $170 (add $30 more for shoe trees and flannel shoe bags, which is included with Alden, for a total of $200). What da heck!

However, if you want your shoes back sooner, then the higher premium at B. Nelson may be worth it
since you should get your restored shoes back in less than half the time it will take Alden to get the job done. B. Nelson has an approximate turnaround
time of about 2 weeks as opposed to the 6-10 week timeframe given by Alden.

See you in about 6-10 weeks. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I have a few beautiful pairs of Aldens and rarely get to use them now. The neuropathy in my feet kills me. still pull them out and shine and admire them. use one pair of cordovan's for weddings etc. won't even get into all the white's and nicks boots sitting alone.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Yesterday, I received the card from Alden stating that my shoes were received and to expect their return within the next 8-10 weeks.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So I decided to send the Alden NST to B. Nelson (photographed in the above post #146 ) to deal with the tear in the leather.

I sent the very same picture to Nick V. at B. Nelson and he explained that the repair would consist of placing a patch between the inner lining and leather and then fill the tear. In Nick’s words: “It won’t be perfect but improved.” For $30 (+$20 shipping), I figured what the heck. I’ll post some pics when I get them back.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
UPDATE:

Received email from Alden that the newly refurbished Black Shell Cordovan Straight Tip Bluchers that I had sent to Alden in the first week of November, are enroute. Will post pics when they arrive (about a day or two).

As for the Alden Black Shell NST that I sent to B. Nelson on Dec 2nd, well as of 12/12, they still had not been received by B. Nelson. The tracking information had them in a NY, NY post office since 12/6 with no further updates. I contacted Nick V. at B. Nelson and he indicated that they had not arrived yet.

The feeling you get when you lose that favorite sweatshirt you’ve had for 20 years started to wash over me.

Yesterday, I got a call from Nick V. at B. Nelson. He confirmed the arrival of the shoes. We then proceeded to have a 10-minute conversation about what needed to be done. Originally, I was just going repair the tear in the leather but now I am going to replace the heels and also add flush mounted metal toe plates (I always wanted to try these).

Turnaround time... 10 days to two weeks.

Total cost (including the $20 for shipping)... $150.00

I’ll post pics upon arrival.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Alden shoes have arrived back from their refurbishment and I couldn’t be more pleased. Here are some pics. These shoes are at least 10-12 years old and I am hopeful to get at least that many more. I do appreciate getting a new box since I discarded the original and of course, the shoe trees are included as part of the refurbishment as well as the flannel shoe bags. I have at least 3-4 more pairs in the cue that are either ready or almost ready for a refurb. For the cost of $175.00 to refurbish quality shoes such as these Aldens, I think is a shoe-sound investment.

7AAE49F4-1A1F-4B31-B380-D9E7808C1044.jpeg
D3392885-DD21-4246-895C-8CD4E44A6F79.jpeg
8221A5E1-D9BB-4C87-B38B-C5A978075E67.jpeg
77CF7B32-4740-4BC9-ACD0-E5ECA48D3283.jpeg
FA81A5D1-B1EB-4089-AE9E-6BC2CE37DA32.jpeg
3A6FB8BC-16C8-48ED-913B-52DAC22C5A19.jpeg

A couple more weeks and the B. Nelson shoes should be here. See you then. :scooter:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Next up for refurbishment are the shell cordovan Alden Leisure Hand Sewn Loafer. No doubt over a decade old and have yet to have been re-soled.

These are going to be sent to Alden for a full restoration.
52539FE9-E97B-4D50-B963-2D51AA22A397.jpeg

8822978C-40A3-480E-A6A1-1F20AF14DA53.jpeg
FBE99352-0F53-4C76-A087-68878AE33ED5.jpeg
C6F1FBE5-5402-40DF-A313-A3A2B90C9991.jpeg

Attachments

• 6875FC26-E76E-403E-B33F-3B3C0043AF2E.jpeg
    6875FC26-E76E-403E-B33F-3B3C0043AF2E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Today I received an email from Nick V. at B. Nelson. The shoes he received on 12/14/18 are on the way.

I’ll post some pics when they arrive.

I'm really enjoy watching your journey. I'm going to have to do this in a few years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Alden shoes have arrived back from their refurbishment and I couldn’t be more pleased. Here are some pics. These shoes are at least 10-12 years old and I am hopeful to get at least that many more. I do appreciate getting a new box since I discarded the original and of course, the shoe trees are included as part of the refurbishment as well as the flannel shoe bags. I have at least 3-4 more pairs in the cue that are either ready or almost ready for a refurb. For the cost of $175.00 to refurbish quality shoes such as these Aldens, I think is a shoe-sound investment.

View attachment 935328 View attachment 935329 View attachment 935330 View attachment 935331 View attachment 935332 View attachment 935333

A couple more weeks and the B. Nelson shoes should be here. See you then. :scooter:

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
These next pics show the before and after of the tear in the leather. Not really much difference
Before:
A46BD9D8-3353-4EF6-9BDA-E3BC3EB56A1E.jpeg

After:
E96B1496-6CB7-4B91-9D81-A3FDB4844E45.jpeg

The patch that was placed inside the shoe.
93263675-D26D-435A-B5ED-BF9A6013CD06.jpeg

Ok. So first off. I did receive the Alden card saying they received my the Leisure Hand Sewn loafers for restoration. So those should be ready in 6-10 weeks.

As for the B. Nelson shoes, perhaps my expectations were too high or maybe I was expecting a miracle but nevertheless the shoes came back and the tear in the leather looks the same as did when I sent it there. Sure, I did get new heels and flush mounted toe plates but if I knew the tear would essentially look the same, I don’t know if I would have gone the extra mile for new heels and toe plates. Also, the patch that was supposed to go between the shoe lining and the outsole looks pretty shoddy.

Will I use B. Nelson again? Absolutely. I gave him a rough job and my expectations ran high. The other work he did on these shoes was just fine. Anyway... here ya go.

2C935400-AEB6-4F4B-B5D9-036BF386364C.jpeg

48634188-5A46-40AB-9322-CC2FDDC2D511.jpeg

551A63C7-0E77-4935-9264-1EB3ABD05C67.jpeg

4BE7B547-9CDE-402A-A93C-C32BADC2A5AE.jpeg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Saw a charge on my credit card two days ago for repair from Alden. Received email today that UPS will deliver shoes tomorrow. Excited to see repair. :yesnod:

johnnieg,

Great thread. Re the crack on the side, I have never had real shell shoes, but that is the type of thing that generally kills off my best calf and other steer-hide shoes. I do not recall it ever looking like it was caused by anything structural in the shoes. I have taken or sent shoe to various places--Corrective Shoe Repair in Washington, DC, used to be excellent, skilled, expensive--and have never seen anything that really did much to repair that kind of damage or even helped hold it off. I would love to know of a shop with some technique for effectively dealing with that.

Again, great thread. Skilled repair of that quality of shoe is always worthwhile in my opinion. Even a tear here and there is not really a flaw and should not prevent one from wearing that quality of shoe. For one thing, indicates one has been buying good shoes for a long time. I think there is--or used to be--a tradition among the "upper crust" in New England of wearing old, used-up but excellent dress shoes--the so-called "Boston cracked-shoe," associated with Adlai Stevenson and Tom Wolf's Bonfire of the Vanities, by legend bought immediately after graduation from one onf the major Ivies and never replaced--and I suspect the reason was just that. That is, to say: "we are old money" and if you do not understand, you are not. There are photos around suggesting Prince Charles may have a similar approach to dress shoes, for whatever reasons. Makes me like him more than I would otherwise.

That said, I can't quite get there myself. I guess I am not old money, or money at all. As one wag said, "Oh, and if you’re going to try this at home, bear in mind that down-at-heel shoes are patrician on Old Money types, but merely bohemian on the middle class." (Actually, if I thought it was actually "bohemian" I might for it. Bohemian is not the descriptor that comes to my mind.)

Top Bottom