What's new

Air Fryers?

These seem to be the craze right now. My wife wanted to get one so we picked one up today. I'm not sold on it, although haven't tasted anything from it.

What are opinions here? Or maybe recipes? French fries and fried chicken are a huge weakness for me. Will it taste as good?

I just got one for Christmas as well but I haven't cooked anything in it yet. We were busy with the holidays and the flu went through our house so I just haven't gotten around to it.

I do have a couple friends that have them and they think they're great. This is why I wanted one myself.

I try to avoid fried foods because of the health factor but this will allow me to enjoy some of them guilt free. I was going to go to the store and pick up some breaded shrimp and things like that soon. I have some chicken tenderloins on hand so there will likely be some of those breaded and given a go soon as well.

I'm told that the food tastes great from it.

@dfoulk that is what I'm hoping for. We try to avoid all fried foods. But every now and then we get a craving for fries or fried chicken. If this can taste as good or near my as good I'm all in

@dfoulk that is what I'm hoping for. We try to avoid all fried foods. But every now and then we get a craving for fries or fried chicken. If this can taste as good or near my as good I'm all in

I'm thinking the same thing. I went to doing wings on the grill to get away from the deep fried stuff. Healthy Fried Chicken does sound wonderful though. I got an air fryer cook book for Christmas to go along with it and another smaller one came with the air fryer. If I stumble upon something really good I'll send a recipe your way.

I hope you guys are right and it tastes great but i also think the hot oil gives the food a bit of flavor and color..... if i had to guess, because i dont own one, the food is gonna be crispy, well flavored but it going to miss that "yummy fried" taste.....kinda like the difference between doing fries in canola oil verses peanut oil.

Please post your results as i to would like to know.

My step son got one for the wife and I, but like you guys, between the holidays and a cold going through the house, we haven't tried it out yet.

Wife had been talking about one, but I was on the fence about it. It was nice to get as a gift so we didn't have to decide :) Plus ... the fact that he gave us (her) a gift was incredibly touching, for various reasons :)

I got a Char Broil Big Easy before Thanksgiving. First time I tried it, I cooked the turkey too long and it got dried out. I then used it on a chicken and it came out great. Crispy skin and juicy inside.

My wife got one but returned it to the store. The problem she had with it came when she wanted to turn the food over. Cooking would stop and she would have to wait 10 minutes for it to cool off before she could resume cooking. My wife called customer service and they said that this was "normal." My wife's sister-in-law has the identical unit but does not have that problem. As a result, my wife went to the store and bought another unit. The same problem occurred. When she returned the second fryer to the store, the clerk said that hers was the sixth unit returned for the same reason in the past two days.

We have one. It is essentially a small convection oven so it is not going to replace the glorious deep fried experience. That said, it is perfectly fine for starchy sides that benefit from some crispness. Breaded fish and shrimp has been so-so. Baked potatoes are yummy but easily the best dish has been chicken wings. Just a little S&P and 20 minutes produces some delicious and crispy wings. I would keep it around just for those darned things.

Well last night my wife broke it out and did a WeightWatchers recipe that is basically bagel holes (think donut holes) but made with a bagel dough. She seasoned them like an everything bagel, and the buggers tasted really good. We are going to try french fries this weekend and wings also. I will report back.

Top Bottom