What's new

aggressive + adjustable + butterfly head = ???

hi gents,
looking for a new razor.
I was pretty locked on 3one6, but I'm finding myself wondering if there's is a better razor for my.

mandatory requirements:
1. aggressive.
2. timeless (stainless steel or otherwise).

will be great if the razor will be:
3. butterfly head.
4. adjustable.
5. NOT VINTAGE.

read alot in here (good time to say - great forum and members), and tried to find something online, besides weishi nostalgic I couldn't find anything else.

any ideas?

R

romsitsa

Butterflys are not aggressive at all. For 1,2,3,4 get a cheap adjustable, like a Slim, and cut down the bars.

Adam

Butterflys are not aggressive at all. For 1,2,3,4 get a cheap adjustable, like a Slim, and cut down the bars.

Adam

Which butterflies are not aggressive? Not the Pearl brand. Both the closed combs and the open combs are pretty aggressive. Much more than, say, the Parker TTOs.

R

romsitsa

Which butterflies are not aggressive? Not the Pearl brand. Both the closed combs and the open combs are pretty aggressive. Much more than, say, the Parker TTOs.

Pearls are poorly made and iirc slightly narrower than classic gillette TTO-s, but far away form an Ikon Tech, LeCoq, or Star 1912.

Adam

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm with Adam, try a Gillette Slim. On the higher settings its as efficient as I want, and I like efficiency from my razors. They're also very smooth because of a design tweak only Gillette Slims and most Fatboys have.

Slim_Blade_Support_Points.jpg

Those raised portions clamp the blade to the inside of the doors greatly increasing blade rigidity. I'm not aware of any other TTO razor that implements a similar design.

They are vintage, but solid Brass and can be easily sanitized.

I'm not sure why anyone would like an 'aggressive' razor. 'Efficient' on the other hand, especially for myself, is a very desirable quality.

I'm with Adam, try a Gillette Slim. On the higher settings its as efficient as I want, and I like efficiency from my razors. They're also very smooth because of a design tweak only Gillette Slims and most Fatboys have.

View attachment 1090011

Those raised portions clamp the blade to the inside of the doors greatly increasing blade rigidity. I'm not aware of any other TTO razor that implements a similar design.

They are vintage, but solid Brass and can be easily sanitized.

I'm not sure why anyone would like an 'aggressive' razor. 'Efficient' on the other hand, especially for myself, is a very desirable quality.

for my aggressive is efficient.

it's incredible that non of the major companies- Edwin jagger, Merkur, Muhle etc. dosen't manufacture adjustable and butterfly razors...
and the companies who do manufacture charge an arm and leg for that or manufacture in bad quality...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
for my aggressive is efficient.

it's incredible that non of the major companies- Edwin jagger, Merkur, Muhle etc. dosen't manufacture adjustable and butterfly razors...
and the companies who do manufacture charge an arm and leg for that or manufacture in bad quality...

Lots of moving parts in a TTO. If you want CNC quality, you'll have to pay for it.

I think adjustables are great learning tools, but the majority of those that use them ultimately pick a setting and keep it, making the adjustability factor moot.

I really like my Slims but to use them effectively they need to be set to either 7 or 9. My skin doesnt like blade gap in a razors design so they dont get used very often. One thing they are though, is smooth. On the higher settings they're also very efficient.

As a learning tool to understand blade gap and how it can affect your shaves, they're well worth trying.

Lots of moving parts in a TTO. If you want CNC quality, you'll have to pay for it.

I think adjustables are great learning tools, but the majority of those that use them ultimately pick a setting and keep it, making the adjustability factor moot.

I really like my Slims but to use them effectively they need to be set to either 7 or 9. My skin doesnt like blade gap in a razors design so they dont get used very often. One thing they are though, is smooth. On the higher settings they're also very efficient.

As a learning tool to understand blade gap and how it can affect your shaves, they're well worth trying.

adjustable can be used for a learning tool, but I'm not a beginner.
for me adjustable is a tool that allow you to shave whenever you need.
doesn't matter if you shave every day or once a month.
and it's easier to change blades a clean the razor (at least in my opinion).

but you all probably right, I should buy a quality 3 or 2 piece and hope that in the future I'll find all in one...

Top Bottom