What's new

Aftershave vs. Cologne

I have often wondered what exactly is the difference between an aftershave and a cologne and what is the purpose of each. I did some searching and found this article that I found helpful. I thought you might enjoy it as well. Aftershaves are meant to treat and sooth the skin post shave. More often than not they are scented with a fragrance. Colognes, eau de toilettes and eau de perfumes are more for smelling nice and generally not applied to the face, but some other part of the body, e.g. chest or abdomen.

In a nutshell: they have similar ingredients (with some variation), alcohol being the common ingredient. The higher up the aromatic scale you go there are usually oils added. The difference among them is in the percentage of aromatics (these are ballpark numbers and it varies from product to product) and staying power of the scent (i.e. length of time):

Aftershave: 1-3%
Eau de cologne: 7%
Eau de toilette: 10%
Eau de perfume: 15% and higher

So...take away message: use your aftershave to treat your facial skin post shave to sooth and heal. If you want to smell nice and if you like your fragrance to last all day then use an eau de cologne, toilette or perfume.

I have often wondered what exactly is the difference between an aftershave and a cologne and what is the purpose of each. I did some searching and found this article that I found helpful. I thought you might enjoy it as well. Aftershaves are meant to treat and sooth the skin post shave. More often than not they are scented with a fragrance. Colognes, eau de toilettes and eau de perfumes are more for smelling nice and generally not applied to the face, but some other part of the body, e.g. chest or abdomen.

In a nutshell: they have similar ingredients (with some variation), alcohol being the common ingredient. The higher up the aromatic scale you go there are usually oils added. The difference among them is in the percentage of aromatics (these are ballpark numbers and it varies from product to product) and staying power of the scent (i.e. length of time):

Aftershave: 1-3%
Eau de cologne: 7%
Eau de toilette: 10%
Eau de perfume: 15% and higher

So...take away message: use your aftershave to treat your facial skin post shave to sooth and heal. If you want to smell nice and if you like your fragrance to last all day then use an eau de cologne, toilette or perfume.

Thanks for the article! And GREAT SUMMARY!! :punk: :punk:

I read something, many years ago, that cologne (and EdT, EdP) are meant to be applied anywhere but the face. Something about the reaction on body oil vs. face oil, and how it changed the ultimate scent; no idea if the author had anything scientific to back up the assertion.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I understand the differences but I just use whatever I fancy. I prefer high alcohol content, regardless of any possible drying effect, simply because I love a post shave burn. For me, no shave is complete without a burn. I know many say that is a sign of poor technique or too close a shave, but.... I love the burn! 😁

Top Bottom