What's new

Aftershave Hall of Shame

My personal non-favorites are:

Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, which smells as if someone dipped their head in the Office Christmas Party punch bowl.

Osage Rub, which is a horrendous mixture of Bengay pain ointment, Vicks Vaporub, and jet fuel.
I love your description of Osage rub. My barber uses it on a hot towel at the conclusion of my haircut. Your description is spot on.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m laughing. Myrsol Plastic Shave. It’s supposed to be a rose scent I believe. A B&B mod (maybe August West?) once described the scent as ‘sitting on a naugahyde couch with a fresh TV Guide. Young people will not get this, but he’s spot on.

Yet, I just bought 2 more bottles of it. Why? It makes your face feel sooo good.

Last edited:
Great thread! As I read the whole thing, I see that every popular aftershave is hated by at least a couple people, lol.

I am also amazed at how many people get headaches from aftershaves. I can’t even imagine that happening to me.

I have developed a slight disdain for Aqua Velva over the years since I first commented on this thread. I am not sure why, but I do not enjoy it anymore.

I also tried a few sandalwood aftershaves and haven’t found one that I would use regularly. No hate for them though.

Just for the op, @BullGoose , I still love Pashana and am nursing the last few bottles I could get sent to me. Ha.

I am a positive fan of many of the classic drugstore scents mentioned, including Aqua Velva (although today's version is missing something from my Dad's AV).

I picked up AV Musk yesterday thinking it would be a safe bet. I finally found one that does not agree with me. Not sure it is "Hall of Shame-worthy," but it isn't for me.

Great thread! As I read the whole thing, I see that every popular aftershave is hated by at least a couple people, lol.

I am also amazed at how many people get headaches from aftershaves. I can’t even imagine that happening to me.

I have developed a slight disdain for Aqua Velva over the years since I first commented on this thread. I am not sure why, but I do not enjoy it anymore.

I also tried a few sandalwood aftershaves and haven’t found one that I would use regularly. No hate for them though.

Just for the op, @BullGoose , I still love Pashana and am nursing the last few bottles I could get sent to me. Ha.
Ha. I did not mind Pashana until the mishap. Now, I cannot even think of it without having flashbacks.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Avon Bay Rum - the old stuff - is a fine bay rum. It came in a barrel and other shaped bottles. Wonderful.

But there is an anniversary keepsake re-issue from 1981 that is to be avoided, IMO. This:

yuck copy.jpg

It has some kind of capillary action- that is it creeps like penetrating oil - and when it reaches your lips, and it will - it tastes wretched. I hate throwing away a collectible, but the stuff's unusable. IMO.

AA

Avon Bay Rum - the old stuff - is a fine bay rum. It came in a barrel and other shaped bottles. Wonderful.

But there is an anniversary keepsake re-issue from 1981 that is to be avoided, IMO. This:

View attachment 1476879

It has some kind of capillary action- that is it creeps like penetrating oil - and when it reaches your lips, and it will - it tastes wretched. I hate throwing away a collectible, but the stuff's unusable. IMO.

AA
That’s a shame, that bottle and label are pretty nifty. It may be worth it to decant another aftershave or generic bay rum in it. At worst, I‘m sure someone would be willing to buy it empty.

Finally got sick of my bottle of DSC's post shave dew. I was trying to use it up and finally got fed up with it's uselessness at calming irritation. This dew goes on easy and has a faint non-offensive odor, but it's awful at soothing post-shave irritation.
Though I did shave with a slightly used blade and did one pass too many, and my sandpaper stubble doesn't help any.
I've got much better results with Nivea's cooling cream and every Stirling balm I've tried so far.

This will be an controversial one for some: Aqua Velva Ice Sport. I love cool water and cool wave scents but hated this one. I tossed it in the garbage because it wasn't even worth PIFing to someone else. Yet obviously there are many who love it here. Maybe I got a fake or a bad batch but I don't want to try it again.

So many nice after shaves in this thread ;)

I don't really hate any of them.

But, the wife hate two of my after shaves, Tabac and Wars Classic
I just love Tabac, it's a classic that I grew up with.
When I was a kid in the 60's and 70's almost all my male relatives and teachers smelled of Tabac.
And Wars is just a classic woody spicy scent that is beautiful.

Top Bottom