What's new

Aftershave for oily skin?

Hi all, I've browsed through the forums and read the recommendations on aftershaves, but I think I need something more specific. I've begun to notice that about two hours after shaving, the areas I shave tend to get kinda oily. At first I thought it was because I was using Proraso ASB, so I switched to Aqua Velva today. I noticed though that while it was less oily, it still got to the point where it felt uncomfortable and I need to wash my face a bit. Are there any aftershaves that tend to dry out skin more? Perhaps bay rum?

Also, could it possibly be because I apply some 100% glycerin to my face before each pass?

I find the Proraso ASB greasy as well. Try the Nivea extra soothing. But I find even that more "heavy" than Aqua Velva. Also, try shaving with only a soap, I find that drys my face out pretty well.

I like the stuff too - I keep a bottle in my desk at work and use it half way thru the day. My faces tends to get greasy/shiny during the day, especially in warmer weather.

(Just for clarification - a bottle of BAXTER'S TONER everyone - wanted to beat you all to the punch. Although some days I wish it was a bottle of....)

Not sure if this will help, but I find that during the winter when my skin is most dry almost anything will do (I have oily skin). During the summer, however, I find that a good spritz or two of QED toners followed by a little Trumpers Coral Skin Food is all I need. I guess what I'm saying is have you tried Trumpers skin food?

Sounds like something with no moisturisers at all is what you need. Most alcohol splashes have at least a bit of glycerin to help moisturise. Try Dominican Bay Rum, which has none, or make your own with cloves, bay leaves and allspice. Or use a bog standard witch hazel water from the chemists- this will astringe nicely, but wont have that "tingle" from the alcohol.
You may also want to try rinsing your face a little more thoroughly to remove the last of the glycerin you are putting on it, or even cutting out the glycerin and jsut using lather. Glycerin is well absorbed into the surface and VERY hygroscopic- retains water. The ammount in an aftershave might be 5%- you are slathering your face with it neat.

Ok, here's an update. I tried using no glycerin and nothing after shaving except for rinsing. It seemed to keep my skin feeling normal longer, but my skin felt sorta raw afterwards. Yesterday my alum bar arrived and used it this morning after shaving. Although it stung and made my skin feel a little tight, my skin still feels normal six hours later and any discomfort went away a few minutes after using the alum block. I also bought some of that Sharps Skin Tuner on the cheap, but it has yet to arrive.

Thanks for the advice and I'll update when I get the Tuner.

Top Bottom