What's new

Aftershave Cocktails. What are you mixing?

Been using Thayer's witch hazel the last couple months but not sure if it does anything. I miss the burn of the alcohol based AS but I hate how strong most AS smells. If I do a dab of Aqua Velva, it's all I can smell all day and it gives me a headache.

Thinking of mixing a little AS with some Thayer's and seeing how that works out. Also read about adding a few drops of glycerine so maybe try that as well.

Been using Thayer's witch hazel the last couple months but not sure if it does anything. I miss the burn of the alcohol based AS but I hate how strong most AS smells. If I do a dab of Aqua Velva, it's all I can smell all day and it gives me a headache.

Thinking of mixing a little AS with some Thayer's and seeing how that works out. Also read about adding a few drops of glycerine so maybe try that as well.

I use Thayer's Witch Hazel with every shave. My skin couldn't handle Alum and this really does the trick; very soothing. Regarding glycerine, I also add one drop to my palm and then mix my aftershave of choice in with it. I find it to enhance almost any a/s but don't use too much!

I do the PinMaster bay rum mix. I wanted to try the Bootlegger's by adding Superior 70 but I just can't find it anywhere and I've tried about 10 Walgreen's in 5-6 cities. I created a 3-part bay rum that I call "RumRunner's Bay Rum with 1/3 each of PVIBR, Masters, and Stephan's bay rum. Kind of a Bootleggers but w/o the Superior.

I've been adding different AS to witch hazel so I have to try some of the ideas shared above.

Clubman Vanilla 50/50 Tabac, this is the first mix I can honestly say created its own fragrance when combined. Might get a 50ml glass bottle and make a proper mix
rather than just a few drops of each in the hand.

I forgot to mention this. I always combine my AS with Thayer's. If nothing else, the reaction is very entertaining.

About the only thing I mix up is witch hazel. I take a 16oz bottle of cheap drugstore witch hazel, add a teaspoon each glycerine, sweet almond oil, and crushed menthol crystals for a nice soothing, moisturizing and brisk A/S..not to mention super cheap.

I use Thayer's Witch Hazel with every shave. My skin couldn't handle Alum and this really does the trick; very soothing. Regarding glycerine, I also add one drop to my palm and then mix my aftershave of choice in with it. I find it to enhance almost any a/s but don't use too much!

I'm like this but with Dickinson's. Witch hazel and then afterhsave is my everyday thing. Beyond that I don't have enough *** to really try blending them.

When I smelled Floid Blue for the first time, I detected notes reminiscent of Aqua Velva and 4711. I found many other had the same thoughts about it. I tried mixing the two 50/50 and it's close, but I think I need to experiment with the proportions to get the scent a little closer. It's been a while since I used it, but I'm thinking the mix needs more 4711 than AV.

This is very interesting. Now I wish I hadn't shaved yet

EDIT: I just tried Aqua Velva and Florida Water 1:1 and it is REALLY good. I'm considering not even bothering with the AV/4711 cocktail and sticking with this. Very similar to Floid blue IMHO but the Florida Water does something to the Aqua Velva that's really good, it doesn't just smell like the two scents mixed together. Hard to explain but my goodness, I might just dump equal parts of the two into a different bottle and call it blue steel or something cause it was something else.

Last edited:
This morning I tried Aqua Velva and 4711 about 1:1 and I can't say it's as good as the AV/Fla Water combo. It's nice but it just smells like a sweeter 4711 with that cloved citrus undercurrent lingering. I guess it just smells like 4711 and Aqua Velva mixed together which shouldn't be surprising but again I'm basing it on my combination from yesterday. I'll be mixing Aqua Velva with Fla Water every time from now on. That stuff was dynamite

This is very interesting. Now I wish I hadn't shaved yet

EDIT: I just tried Aqua Velva and Florida Water 1:1 and it is REALLY good. I'm considering not even bothering with the AV/4711 cocktail and sticking with this. Very similar to Floid blue IMHO but the Florida Water does something to the Aqua Velva that's really good, it doesn't just smell like the two scents mixed together. Hard to explain but my goodness, I might just dump equal parts of the two into a different bottle and call it blue steel or something cause it was something else.

Really glad someone else likes this combo too.

Top Bottom