What's new

Aftershave atrocities and the ladies

It seem like the "men" of the preceding decade have committed unforgivable aftershave atrocities, by bathing in it. Now, the around here, the ladies associate the "Usual Suspects" with skeezy old '70's era dirtbags.

You know the "Usual Suspects", Pineaud, Old Spice, Brut, Skin Bracer, etc... anything that was available in local marts back then.

No matter which usual suspect I use, I get the same reaction from the general populace, "Ewww, smells like old man" is the universal response.

So, while T&H Trafalgar is working well, I'd like some variation.

Musgo Orange Amber has been deemed by SWMBO at "old mannish", Musgo Oakmoss is a little too like cucumber lotion, Musgo regular is Meh.

I am looking for suggestions that are unique enough to not be associated with any other scent. Trafalgar works, Acqua Di Gio works, I would imagine Speick would work (if it smells like the stick). What else is different enough fro the norm to work?

Alt-Innsbruck doesn't smell like anything else (within my awareness, anyway). Tobacco flower is the only fragrance agent. It's got a sweet/anise vibe.

If I were you I'd find some new people to hang around.:lol:On a serious note have you tried the splashes from Addidas like Dynamic Pulse or Gillette Cool Wave, or the Classic that doesn't seem to get much love and one of my favorite scents British Sterling?

I would go to a Whole Foods and check out some of their offerings. Whatever they carry will be anti-old man. Forgot to give you a specific recommendation...Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn. It's pretty light, but it smells like nothing else I've tried.

Last edited:
You gotta wonder where all these young girls are sniffing the old guys!

If you don't like the reaction to the classics, I think you should probably bag the scented AS altogether. Rather than buy something horribly overpriced like Aqua di Gio aftershave, just get a good scentless AS (I like Lucido) and buy the Aqua di Gio frag. It probably smells the same but lasts longer.

Last edited:
Old Spice Pure Sport. It has a certain "kick" to it that other more generic "blue" aftershaves don't have. I don't think it has that "cheap drugstore aftershave vibe" at all. Not that there's anything really wrong with "cheap drugstore aftershave vibe" at all, I happen to like "cheap drugstore aftershave vibe" myself..

I find that men and women just prefer different scents. It can be frustrating, but I'm afraid you will have to use an aftershave that has a little lace around it's waistband if you want to make women happy. I love Masters bay rum and wear it during the week, but wear Acgua di Gio on the weekends for my wife. Jeez.

Irisch Moos is pretty unique. And boy, you ain't kiddin' about Brut. In my college days- even tho I NEVER used the stuff- prolly 90% of the rest of the male student population used it!

Why not AV Ice Sport? There's no way she'll say it's old mannish if you don't tell her it's AV. It resembles nothing of the classics for scent.

Musgo Orange Amber has been deemed by SWMBO at "old mannish", Musgo Oakmoss is a little too like cucumber lotion, Musgo regular is Meh.

There is only one Musgo Real aftershave (and one balm), Orange Amber and Oakmoss are colognes.

Alt-Innsbruck doesn't smell like anything else (within my awareness, anyway). Tobacco flower is the only fragrance agent. It's got a sweet/anise vibe.

I kind of like Alt Innsbruck but, honestly, I find it really old smelling! When I saw it was made since [FONT=arial, sans-serif]1953 I thought there was a typo and they meant 1853... it's that old smelling! [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I find[/FONT] the opening too be a bit much, but then it settles into a really nice tobacco scent that I quite enjoy!

I think anything old school, traditional or barbershoppy is going to smell just that to the ladies and get identified as "old man".

If you don't want to smell like the mall but still have an aftershave that gives off a scent then consider some of the english aftershaves form the classice perfume houses like Floris (Santal, JF, etc.) or Penhaligons. Issue with that is that those are very, very pricey. I think you are better off going with an aftershave that fades away quickly and appying the cologne of your choice. You get a lot more scent options that way.

Top Bottom