What's new

After the fourth SR shave

So, i just finished my fourth SR shave. The first one was awful—pulled on my beard and just wasn’t comfortable. I wasnt sure what the issue was, so posted on here and made adjustments. I experimented with the angle, better stropping and wetter lather. All helped quite a bit and I’ve only had the tinniest nicks, so generally am pleased with my progress. The shave is shockingly smooth even after one pass.

Two questions on the smoothness/comfort of the shave. It still doesn’t feel anywhere nearly as comfortable as my DE shaves. I used my safety razor to clean up a few lines and notice that the shave is smoother, seems sharper and more confortable. The SR still has a slight pulling sensation and my skin sometimes feels a little raw. No redness and very few nicks—just a general burning feel for part of the day. Do you think that’s because the blade isn’t sharp enough? I’m more than willing to admit it might be technique (I’m a newbie, for sure!).

The SR is a Gold Dollar 800. I bought it at Wet Shaving Products, and is supposed to be shave ready. Anybody had good luck with them? I’ve read positive reviews of them and am more likely to believe it’s my technique over the razor. Just wondering if it’s worth sending to another place to get honed and checked just to make sure it’s me and not the blade!

Try this. Do a first pass DE knockdown then finish with a couple passes with the SR. See if that helps. :a4:

I have no experience with the Gold Dollars, so I won't pontificate.

Possibly not sharp enough. Get a finishing stone and dress it a bit. I believe shave ready blades rarely are, though they’re very close. I think some vendors may be afraid of getting them too sharp. I have no idea about how Gold Dollars come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

probably technique and perhaps the edge has slightly degraded because of technique. always good to have a second reference razor.

i dont recallbhearong anything bad about wsp. pretty sure he can hone gds.

probably technique and perhaps the edge has slightly degraded because of technique. always good to have a second reference razor.

i dont recallbhearong anything bad about wsp. pretty sure he can hone gds.

I don’t think it’s a matter of whether WSP can or won’t hone. They simply don’t want to over hone. Some folks might not want a super sharp blade.

You can always try to make a blade a wee bit sharper to suit you than you can dull it to start over. At that point, why buy a shave ready blade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WSP sells 2 "versions" of the 800. one honed (~$45) and one not (~$20). Are you sure you bought the one that comes honed?

I would contact them. The sales language from WSP and A Sharper Razor sounds like they will try to help you out to make sure everything is ok.

Pulling means not sharp enough. I try not to talk bad about GD razors but they are known to not hold an edge for long. And being new to all SR stuff its easy to dull an edge by inproper use and stropping.

Id say to send it out for honing and pickup a second vintage razor. Send the vintage out for honing too. 2 razors are best. One to use and one for a backup when you send one out. Plus you will notice the difference in how well a vintage holds up compared to a GD.

Top Bottom