What's new

After shaving with a straight razor for a year at least. Would you ever go back to DE shaving

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I experience shaving with a DE or SE more of a chore that needs to be done, and don't experience the "Zen moment" that I do with a straight. I only shave with an SE once or twice a month when rushed in getting out the door.

I do appreciate this. My straight shaves are more focussed and intense than my DE shaves, but I also like the ability to switch off and let my mind wander with a DE, which is far less wise with a straight. ;)

Aside from the "remove brain before shaving" days, the biggest obstacle for me, is the work away from the face. Some find the honing and stropping therapeutic, but for me that is the only part of traditional shaving that I find to be a real chore. I really have to be in the mood for it, and if all I had was straight razors, I'd most likely go back to full beard.

I'm a straight razor shaver. I shave with straight razors. That's the way it's been since I first took the plunge a year and a half ago.

That said, I love using a GEM for Micromatic Mondays. I love occasionally pulling out the Rolls Viscount. And, if I'm really rushed or my hand is shaking especially badly, I love my Old Type.

Would I ever give these other razors up? Highly doubtful. Will I ever abandon my straights in favor of predominant use of something else? Not so long as I can still use them safely.

(And FWIW, I use hard soaps, croaps, creams, and even sticks. Call me fickle.)

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
No. I never shaved with DE/SE, went straight to straights from disposables actually. That said, the initial investment and learning curve is not insignificant, but the results are hard to beat especially if you have sensitive skin or such.

I switched about four years ago and sold my DEs not long afterwards. I just enjoy shaving with a straight more. When I'm travelling or in a great hurry, I use my Feather AC SS.

Never mastered the art of sharpening a straight to the level I like. Had some sent out to be professionally sharpened but still preferred DE & SE and the occasional Feather AC. Aside from the longer timeframe for myself needed in shaving with a straight, the time spent in maintaining the edge through stropping is another reason why I stopped using it. Some straights I see here are sure pretty though.

After 8 years of DE shaving, I finally took the plunge into straights about 6 months ago. As long as I can still shave with the straight, I can't imagine ever going back.

I just wish I would've braved the switch earlier.

Those that hone their own straight razors will likely never use anything else, I know I do. Straight shaving is a beautiful journey, once you arrive it’s difficult to turn back...

I have used a DE when pressed for time, but that is very rare. It has its place IMO.

That looks like art. Very nice.
Thank you 😊
Those that hone their own straight razors will likely never use anything else, I know I do. Straight shaving is a beautiful journey, once you arrive it’s difficult to turn back...

I have used a DE when pressed for time, but that is very rare. It has its place IMO.
Shaving with a DE about ten times a year and honing my straight razors I don't quite agree unless you underscore "likely".😊

I tend to more practical. I use a straight 100% of the time I'm home. When I travel by car or have "check in", I'll use a DE. I keep a stash of twin blade disposables to keep the TSA happy for when I go "carry on" only. I don't travel with checked bags that often, so I don't DE much.

It's not to say that I don't like my DE shaves as much as I like my straight shaves better.

That noted, I think straight razor shaving has forced me to be a "better" shaver and be more mindful of beard prep, direction and lather/soap quality.

S

Squinty

I used my fathers 1960-70s DE to take off the fluff from 16-20 years old (with new blades). And after another 30 years of disposable and cartridge shaving I took up straight razor shaving as an experiment.
More to test the edge of a worn SR that I'd found in an heirloom box. Shaving wasn't the intended use but I needed a razor edge and ground hacksaw blades just didn't quite get there.

Coming up for 11 months;not more than a year, I don't feel as if I would go back to cartridges and as mentioned haven't entertained DE for 30 years.
I hated shaving but SRs have turned a chore into a satisfying experience.

I shaved with a DE from the summer of 2010 when my kids were born till December of 2016. Once I tried a SR I never went back. I still have my DE's and a ton of Feather blades but they are sitting in the drawer. I have placed an order for Wolfman so if it goes through then I will use DE again.

I never did DE shaving unless you count the razor below as a DE. I went straight from disposables to straights.

And NO, I would never go back, nor do I have the desire to take up DE shaving. Ever since I got comfortable with straights and shavettes, I don't like to feel anything other than the blade on my skin. With the few safety razors I've tried (all SE other than the Zazor pictured below), I found myself using too much pressure to try and get that feeling I crave from straights & shavettes. It's a good recipe for weepers.

Zazor
Zazor.jpg

Well, never say never.

I jumped into straights a few years ago and haven't looked back. I sold all but one DE. I used a DE about 10x per year.

My work schedule changed recently now I am using a DE most of the time. I haven't worked out a new routine and a DE is more practical now. It stinks and as I enjoy using a SR.

I had never used a DE before I started using a straight, jumped straight in from electric shavers and disposables. I have a DE which mawashi pifed me, at the time that DE gave me smoother and better shaves, was still learning honing(although technically I'm still learning) at the time so that is probably the reason.
I tried the DE a few weeks ago because like everyone else here I was in a rush, WTG it was fine, but when i started to go ATG it felt like shaving with a straight with microchips in it, slight tugging and prone to cut skin. This was with a fresh feather blade.
I had to pull out my heljestrand to finish the shave because I was cutting up my face.
I cant see myself ever fully going over to DEs unless I get a disease which prevents me from using straights.

I like slant de razors quite a bit but if I use a safety razor 90% of the time it is a se razor and out of that 90%, 80% of that time it is usually a lather catcher where it has the blade you hone or something like a rapide. That is my main gripe with the de and the se-I don't love the edges on the disposable blades they vary between feeling like you are shaving with a foil edge, to just a rough synth edge, to a slightly undercooked stainless edge (if you stretch a blade and let the coating crutching the blade fade). I also don't love the deflection of the de blade, which is probably why I like the slant, it solves that issue decisively.

Top Bottom