What's new

After shave matching my Colognes, good idea or no?

I usually buy an aftershave matching my cologne. Are these good products? I know that Proraso and other successful brands are good but I like to match my cologne fragrance. Good idea or no?

Couple of examples:

Cool Water Aftershave

Burberry Brit Aftershave

I also like Proraso aftershave or Nivea aftershave. What should I prefer?

It is very simple. If you use fleeting scent that has a short "life span" then they don't have to match.
Proraso is excellent for that, because it smells pleasant for a short while but is a lot softer very quickly,
and then quickly fades away. In no way will it compete, fight, mix or overpower you cologne.
If your after shave has a long lasting scent (like Sir Irisch Moos), then it would be ideal to match them
(and use Irisch Moos Eau De Toilette in this case).

If your cologne is important to you and you don't want to takes risks, matching them sounds better.
BUT, the opposite is true. Since AS's and colognes/eau de toilette's don't always have the exact same scent
(sometimes even very different), the safest option would be to use a AS that fades away completely and does that quickly.
Again, a AS like Proraso is perfect for that.
But if you really like a very particular cologne of course it would not hurt to try their AS as well.
Hope this this is any helpful for you.

It is very simple. If you use fleeting scent that has a short "life span" then they don't have to match.

+1

Aftershave by definition (since it contains fewer fragrance compounds than cologne) is not very long lasting. There are of course some exceptions. I wouldn't bother matching scents if the aftershave is gone, and undetectable after a half hour.

Honestly, I think matching scents is too limiting; try to go for complimentary scents instead (again assuming that the scent of the aftershave actually hangs around for awhile).

Its a great idea if you like it :biggrin1: I do it sometimes with my English Leather, Grey Flannel and Stetson. But I often wear Clubman and Clubman SR A/S's and that stuff lasts all day!

Top Bottom