What's new

AE Sizing Fail

My first two pairs of shoes came in from the Shoe Bank the other day. Before ordering them, I tried measuring my foot with the paper thing from the AE website. That didn't work, so I went to Nordstrom and got measured there and tried on some Park Avenues (they had a pretty limited selection). Right foot was smaller than left foot, but 9 1/2 D was most comfortable, so I ordered two pairs of 9 1/2 D shoes, both of which were made on the 8 last. I figured they'd fit pretty close to the same as each other, but I was wrong.

The Hales felt really snug around the top of my toes, so I put them aside. I've been wearing some junky Rockports forever and thought that I just wasn't used to how nice shoes should feel.

I decided to wear the Cliftons first. They were much more comfortable. I really enjoyed wearing them, but at the end of the day realized that there had been some rubbing on the back of my right heel. My left foot is fine, so I really couldn't have gone with a different size on these anyway. What do guys with slightly different sized feet do? When I was trying on the PAs at the store, the salesman had some pads that he was putting in the shoes to try to adjust the fit a little.

Tried the Hales on again this morning. The length really felt right and they felt a little better around the top of my foot, but after walking around the house a little, I felt like they were still more tight than they were supposed to be. The laces seemed stretched apart and the toes on my left foot (the larger one) felt pretty uncomfortable. I didn't want to get these scuffed up, so I put them back in the box and dejectedly put my old shoes back on. Any thoughts on whether It might be worth trying a wider version of this shoe or if I'd be better off trying a shoe made on a different last?

Thanks!

Even when a good quality shoes are a perfect fit, it takes a few weeks of break in for them to feel right. I generally start by wearing a pair of all leather shoes around the house for a few hours 2 or 3 X before I wear them for a full day. My right foot is slightly larger than my left, so the right to feel acceptable before I buy - or scuff up the sole and can't return them. Your feet tend to swell slightly during the day so shoes are generally tighter in the evening than the morning.

Size standardization only exists for lower quality shoes. If you are a size 10 for a sub-$100 shoe, you will be able to wear 99% of size 10 shoes under $100 (just an arbitrary threshold). If you are a size 10 for a pair of Allen Edmonds, you may be a size 10.5 for another pair, a size 11 for a third paid, a size 9.5 for a fourth pair, etc. I have four pairs of Allen Edmonds, and all four are different sizes.

EDIT: Your shoes will need time to break in, but if they hurt to the point where you may develop blisters or calluses, you have the wrong size. Shoes should feel tight, not hurt your feet when new.

When I went to the AE store, the salesman measured my foot. He actually said my foot measured a 9 in length, but my instep/arch measures similar to an 11, and my width was like a 4EEEEEEE or something.

I wanted Daltons, so he had me try on a 9 E and D. The D was very tight, and the E felt really nice. Since I was wearing what I thought would be the thickest sock I'd ever wear in them, I ended up going with the 9E. We discussed it, and he basically said that it should feel good out of the box. There will be a little stretch over time, but don't buy a pair that is too tight thinking it will stretch out to feel right over time.

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the Hales are going to have to go back. Now I just have to decide if I try another Hale in a 9 1/2 E or a different shoe made on a different last in a 9 1/2 D.

this

Not all AE lasts work for me, i.e. last 5 is the worse fitting last, does not fit at all.The lasts 1 and 7 fit me the best

When I last looked at an AE catalog, each shoe gave the last that the shoe was built on. Find a last that fits well and stick with it. I love Park Avenues and the other shoes built from it. I have narrow feet and find Park Avenues work for me:biggrin1:.

Top Bottom