What's new

Advice on how to break in Semogue SOC two-band finest badger?

Hello gentlemen,

I've just received this brush which is my first badger brush (been using synthetics).

I appreciate your advice on how to break it in.
I've read the post in the wiki about the dawn and then leaving it overnight with some lather.
However, on the box Semogue is warning to "never keep the brush wet for long periods of time" so it got me a bit worried.

Appreciate your advice gents.

I have got the same brush with the Taj handle. It does not need breaking in. Wash it with dish soap, rinse and dry. Do a palm lather or two, then it is good to go. The stink will need a couple of uses to go away completely. Iirc, the first palm lather was 💩 , after that it made fine lather.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would just use it. If you want to do a test palm lather first then let the brush fully dry before your first shave it then go for it but I wouldn't bother.

I have got only few natural hair brushes, but the first rinse/wash always removed some dirt from the knot. The water got contaminated with something at least. Did you guys not have that or don't care?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have got only few natural hair brushes, but the first rinse/wash always removed some dirt from the knot. The water got contaminated with something at least. Did you guys not have that or don't care?
Well, it is pretty common to wash out a brush before the initial use. I do this with all my new brushes, and sometimes the water is quite dirty. Use a shave soap and hand lather, then wash the lather out of the brush and use it.

The brush does not need break-in in the same way as boar brushes do. It will get a bit softer with use, though. The directions are just saying to let the brush dry out thoroughly after use. Don't put it in a closed cabinet, for example, rinse it, squeeze out any excess water, then put it in a place where the air circulates.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I suspect you're correct in that break-in advice - for a boar brush. I would be surprised if you found the SOC was dirty, but it certainly can't hurt to wash the brush. It's a lovely brush, enjoy many great shaves using that beautiful brush.

Top Bottom