What's new

Advice on buying new synthetic brush

I'm in the hunt for a new synthetic brush. I've read several threads and topics but I need some more guidance.
I will use it in my regular rotation but it would become my travel brush too, so it should fit my pill bottle. Max dimensions are a total height of 110 mm and a base diameter of 35mm.
I can get a Muhle synthetic locally for €35 but I was wondering if there are other good options which are less expensive and would fit my travel tube.

I've read a couple good things about the FS synthetics as well, but maybe there are other great brushes out there?

All advice and comments are welcome

Muhle Synthetics are top of the line. The FS come with some QC issues, but are good lather makers and inexpensive if you leave it behind. If it were me, depending on how long I would be gone, I would go with the FS just in case I lost it.

If you want to get only one, get the Muhle and make sure it is the Version 2 fiber.

Later on you can look into custom built handles with TGN synthetic knots if you want variety.

If you want to get only one, get the Muhle and make sure it is the Version 2 fiber.

Later on you can look into custom built handles with TGN synthetic knots if you want variety.
I agree completely. The V2 Mühle synthetic brushes are the best available--from the firm that created silvertip fiber synthetics. If they appear to be pricey for your budget, the Black Fibre Mühle HJM model brush is a terrific alternative. It has many fans on this and other websites, and mine cost me $39.00. It's worth looking into for a luxury experience.

V2 Muhle synthetic for me.

No others need apply :lol:

proxy.php

Thanks for the advice! Muhle v2 gets the most votes easily apparently!
I was considering a FS too but because I can buy the Muhle in a real shop and skip shipping costs, the price difference between a FS and the Muhle will be almost nothing I guess.
I'll compare the prices of the two and will probably decide and go for the Muhle. Looks like it's the premium synthetic brush.

Thanks all!

Muhle silvertip is much better than my FS synthetic. It feels very soft and it is like it had a much finer hair. Lathers well too and holds water much better than FS. I've not tried out the older versions of Muhle (like the black fiber) and cannot compare the them.

After re-reading your original post, I must have misunderstood your intention to get only a single brush. I was aiming my comment about the FS for travel use. I would echo what others have said that the Muhle is light years ahead of any other synthetic, and if I were to choose only one, that would be it. I have both a Muhle 31k256 for daily use, and a FS Richmond 24mm synthetic for travel. However, the Muhle is a much better brush IMO...

Wonder how many of those proclaiming the Muhle to be 'light years' ahead of any other synthetic brush out there have actually tried a Jack Black... :a11:

Wonder how many of those proclaiming the Muhle to be 'light years' ahead of any other synthetic brush out there have actually tried a Jack Black... :a11:

Well at 85,(Bloodly) U.S. dollars I don't think I will.

Plus it's made in China so I can only guess what the mark up must be.

I'll go with the Muhle as I like to suppose the E.U.

Keep in mind, though, that the Men-U Premier synthetic--the first brush I purchased, before learning about B&B--is a hugely marked-up in price Omega brush. You can purchase the equivalent Omega brush for $25-30 (at Connaught Shaving, for example), versus $59 for the Men-U Premier. I myself have preferred the Muhle HJM black fibre, but, as always, YMMV. The Omega/Men-U Premier is stiffer, if that's what you prefer.

Top Bottom