What's new

Advice from the pipe smokers

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
How about any of these?

I had two and just bought three more. They smoke as well as my briars. I’ve smoked that model for several years now. It is easier to get a pipe cleaner through the straight stems though. Good idea to buy a couple of extra stems when you order one. Like Meerschaum, cob is quite porous and that makes for a good smoke. You can just toss that paper filter but if you are going to use filters, don’t forget to change them or you will get some nasty tastes and a tough draw 😂. Cobs are excellent smokers. Can’t go wrong with them. Amazon has them for $12.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I use my filtered cobs with the 6mm Savinelli balsa filters somehow the paper ones didn’t do it for me.
You better start rationing those Sav balsas (unless you have an enormous supply), or start carving your own. None out there, except by scalpers charging crazy prices. Sav has stopped production of balsas for well over a year due to supply interruptions, and is now putting out 6mm carbons to accommodate demand.

I'm not much of a filter guy (but Mrs. Columbo is getting more insistent every month), but the Sav 6mm carbons apparently don't clog up too much (apparently the White Elephant ones do) and are getting good feedback from those who are using them.

You better start rationing those Sav balsas (unless you have an enormous supply), or start carving your own. None out there, except by scalpers charging crazy prices. Sav has stopped production of balsas for well over a year due to supply interruptions, and is now putting out 6mm carbons to accommodate demand.

I'm not much of a filter guy (but Mrs. Columbo is getting more insistent every month), but the Sav 6mm carbons apparently don't clog up too much (apparently the White Elephant ones do) and are getting good feedback from those who are using them.
Thanks, I will have a look around. I only use them in my cobs as I fitted all my Savinellis with 3mm reduction pieces.

Edit: 300 for 24.90 original Savinelli - good price?

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Thanks, I will have a look around. I only use them in my cobs as I fitted all my Savinellis with 3mm reduction pieces.

Edit: 300 for 24.90 original Savinelli - good price?
Yes, that seems like a good price. If I were a regular Sav balsa smoker, I’d buy ‘em.

Those Sav inserts are what I use, too. They’re good. The 9mm inserts for the Vauens are pretty neat, too, and thoroughly German, with o-rings and tapered ends for an air-tight fit.

Top Bottom