What's new

Adventures of a Straight Razor greenhorn.

Hey folks, I've been lurking on various forums for a year, I guess It's time for me to sign up on one of the forums, I hope I picked the right one. I know there is an introduce your self page so if you want some background on me check here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/385820-Checking-in-from-Utah?p=5870165#post5870165

I thought I'd use the general discussion section to chronicle my adventures in shaving from the perspective of a straight razor virgin. Hopefully my experience will help some other newbies along the way. Cross your fingers that I don't butcher my strop too bad, or make a bloody mess of my face.

My father died a year and a half ago. Among his things there was a straight razor. My mom surely would have tossed it, so I grabbed it thinking that if I was lucky, It might be worth something. I don't recall my dad ever having used a straight razor, I don't know perhaps it was something he got when his father died, or perhaps a souvenir from time he spent in England. The razor is in great condition but is used. It has some minor nicks, that are just visible with the naked eye.

So, I looked it up
HESS Hair Milk Laboratories ST. PAUL. MINN.
Solingen, Made in Germany.
"Forty Two"
HESS Stainless Steel Frozen Temper

$Best.jpg
$Best1.jpg

Holy Cow it is worth something! Around $80? Some how I never got around to listing it on ebay, instead I read reviews on the razor and was fascinated by the quaint people that bought and still used these things. So much culture and ritual, who has time to strop a razor, build up a lather hand shave, then dry everything off so it doesn't rust? I shave with my electric on the days drive 13 miles to the office. If I ride my bike to the office, I'll just skip that day.

I've come to the realization that I'm to fascinated with the idea of shaving with a straight razor. I'm too attached to the razor to give it up now. The ironic thing is that I work at a place that requires me to have a clean shaved face, a place where if you want to grow facial hair, you have to have a doctor's note. If you have a doctor's note, you have to grow it all out. It's an all or nothing deal. Well I just got my doctor's note 3 weeks ago, Utah Winters are very very dry and shaving irritates my skin, no matter, what I do. I plan to shave my neck and cheeks during the winter and shave it all in the Summer. This should give me a chance to only cut up part of my face. By Spring, I hope to be practiced enough to only slightly scar my face. I realize I'll need some additional supplies. I need to buy a strop, cream, badger, scuttle, styptic pencil, aftershave and... anything else? I'll post again when I've figured out which ones to buy.

Good Idea Bluesman, can a moderator delete this thread? I'll copy this over to the Straight razor shave clinic.

First, sorry for your loss. As or th razor, that's a beauty. Great shavers too. I'd suggest considering picking up a cheap starter kit to get proficient and save the family razor for when you're comfortable.

As for skin, many of us found our skin concerns lessened it over time once you get your form in traditional wet shaving.

Great idea starting this thread btw. Keep us posted.

Top Bottom