What's new

Adjustables

my very first DE razor was the Merkur Progress, blame mantic, monkey see and all that.

but while getting to grips with DE i quickly found that an adjustable wasn't a good choice for a beginner.
i just couldn't help myself playing around with the settings with the inevitable results.

enter the Merkur HD, now that's better.

well tonight i tried my Fatboy for the first time, i got it from b/s/t but it's just been lying around, i had been using one of my injectors up 'til now.

let me tell you, it'll be getting a lot of love from now on

that's a damn fine razor
yes my technique has improved and the need to constantly alter the settings has gone but somehow everything just clicked into place

i'm normally a 2 pass shaver, both WTG and maybe a XTG on the cheeks if i'm feeling brave, going ATG/XTG on my neck has been a killer so i avoid it
i could live with that

but with the Fatboy i did
2 WTG #4
1 XTG #3
1 ATG #2

and all is well

so if your thinking about an adjustable, do yourself a favour and get a vintage Gillette

Stop fueling my RAD! I've been looking at Slims/Fatboys for the past couple of days. Going to go antique shopping soon, hope I find one! And glad that you enjoy yours, happy shaving!

^^Too bad. I just sold both of my slims. PIF'd a fatboy. And have another fatboy that I've promised out to another member. Should have caught me earlier. :)
And I say you should run with the RAD. I have now shaved with a Toggle and a Slim and they are both amazing

^^Too bad. I just sold both of my slims. PIF'd a fatboy. And have another fatboy that I've promised out to another member. Should have caught me earlier. :)
And I say you should run with the RAD. I have now shaved with a Toggle and a Slim and they are both amazing

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kidding, it will be ok. Still have to get used to an SS, and an Aristocrat before I move onto Adjustables. That is, unless I find a great deal on one soon

edit: found a great deal on a Fatboy E3 (almost my dad's birth date code) for 14.50. Too bad I bid 14 at the last second! Maybe next time. I'll post a WTB on the BST next week.

Last edited:
Stop fueling my RAD! I've been looking at Slims/Fatboys for the past couple of days. Going to go antique shopping soon, hope I find one! And glad that you enjoy yours, happy shaving!

Save yourself the time and hassle and pick one @ the b/s/t - You will find reasonable and not so reasonable but there are great deals out there form well known members. I got my Slim for 27$ shipped, close to mint condition and the Fatboy for $23 shipped also close to mint. If you want to find a shave ready razor I think you should get it here but if you want to find it at antique store and feel like a bargain hunter go for it :biggrin: , just keep in mind that afull tank of gas will cost like 1.5 -2 razors from b/s/t .

Last edited:
These days my Fatboy is definitely my go to razor amongst my others. Though this Friday my Murker Slant should arrive. Let's see how that one stacks up.

Top Bottom