What's new

Adjustable users: do you dial?

Do you dial?

• Up

• Down

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you use an adjustable and shave multiple passes, I'd be interested to know if you dial the razor up or down between passes.

I realize some razors are numbered differently, but let's use the Gillette system for this poll. Up is more agressive, down is less agressive.

For the record, I have an H1 slim and usually shave WTG on 6, then ATG on 3 or 4. It just seems natural to me to want a less agressive setting for the against-the-grain pass. Though I've heard others talk about dialing up for subsequent passes and I may be missing something.

~Charley

While I don't dial at all on my Merkur Vision razor, on Gillettes I do. I usually have my fatboy on 5, and then I will dial it up to 7 for the last few passes. Especially for S-N passes, as I want more blade exposure there, to cut lower down the hair. It seems to me that by doing that I can avoid any unnecessary tugging.

I am still pretty new to DE shaving, so I am focusing on technique right now. I have my Fat Boy set at 5 and leave it there for 3 passes. I will try 7 soon, but will leave it there for the entire shave.

Thanks for the poll. I am curious to learn what others do. I know there is so much more for me to learn.

I'm comfortable with staying on 5 most of the time. I will change up or down prior to shaving, depending on my beard. But I keep the same setting throughout the shave. Just me.

Gillette slim adjustable:

w/walmart personnas--9 with, 2 against
w/wilkinson sword-- 7 with, 1 against

sometimes I'll drop it down to about 4 for the wtg on my neck, depending on the previous day's results.

I don't dial between passes, but I do for different parts of my face. I thought for the most difficult sections(i.e. the places where the hair is very flat) would benefit from a milder blade angle, but dialing it up on these areas reduces the irritation, and provides a cleaner cut.

I usually shave in 3 passes ,using a slim Gillette Adjustable ,for the first two passes i set the dial on 3 and for the last pass i dial up to 5.

I keep both my Fat Boy and Slim at 5 throughout the shave. I tried 6 today, but wasn't as happy. But the thing I love about shaving everyday is you can switch it up and try stuff out, and not have to wait for the results. If it doesn't work too well, there's always morrow.

Normally, I do a single wtg with my Slim set at 6, then dial down to 3 for the atg and touch ups. As everything else....ymmv.

BJC

I set it and leave it no matter the adjustable.

On an insignificant note, My Progress would make this a simpler task as it does not require loosening the doors to make the new adjustment.

A moot point for me... Set and forget baby!:eek6:

I have 2 adjustables - a '59 Fatboy and a Futur. I use Crystal blades in both.

For a quick shave, I leave the Fatboy on 5 and the Futur on 4.

For a smooth shave, I dial up - for the Fatboy, 3, then 5, then 7. For the Futur, 3, then 4, then 5. I find that I get a closer shave by going more aggressive on the 2nd and 3rd passes, but using a lot less pressure.

First day shave with a new Derby at 5 on my slim. Second day shave at 6 and the third day shave at 7. I never use a blade more than for 3 shaves. Same with the Swedes. Works perfect.

I typically start at 5 on my fatboy and dial down to 3 for the cross and against passes.

I have found with sharper blades, the starting setting bumps down a notch or i get mangled.

With my Fatboy, sometimes I'll do a pass on 4 then a pass on 6. Most of the time, I just leave it on 4 though. Three passes leaves me pretty smooth.

V

VR6ofpain

The Progress and Vision I own both don't have even blade exposure. So I don't dial up, but I use the more aggressive edge for the first two passes, then the less aggressive side for the final ATG pass. Works great!

For a short time I did the same with Gillette Adjustables, but I had to actually dial it down for the last pass, since the blade exposure was even on both sides.

Top Bottom