What's new

Adjustable DE work really well for me

I find that when I use my Merkur Futur, set on a 4-5, and do my first with the grain passes, followed by a re-set to about a 2, for the XTG and ATG passes, I get a really good, really nick-weeper free shave.

So, I just ordered another Merkur adjustable, the Progress (long handle), because I apparently have no impulse control. I went with West Coast and moments after I pulled the trigger, realized I never put in the B&B discount code.......d'oh! I sent a follow up e-mail pleading my case, we'll see how it goes.

Any comments on the Progress adjustable?

My Dad uses the Merkur Futur.. I tried it for a week and it was not to my liking. I may try it again but not just yet. I own the Progress and I gotta say that I do like it and I get great shaves with it. Sure there are some design flaws but it works for me.

My Dad uses the Merkur Futur.. I tried it for a week and it was not to my liking. I may try it again but not just yet. I own the Progress and I gotta say that I do like it and I get great shaves with it. Sure there are some design flaws but it works for me.

What are the design flaws to you, Sledge?

What are the design flaws to you, Sledge?

Some folks have complained that the handle is slippery when wet. The aggressiveness on one Progress is not equal to another. So my 2 might be 3 or 3.5 on yours or vice versa. There has been issues with blade exposure being more on one side of the head cap cover than the other. The yellow knobs are a turn off for some.

Last edited:
Some folks have complained that the handle is slippery when wet. The aggressiveness on one Progress is not equal to another. So my 2 might be 3 or 3.5 on yours or vice versa. There has been issues with blade exposure being more on one side of the head cap cover than the other. The yellow knobs are a turn off for some.

Yep, that yellow knob is an unfortunate aesthetic glitch in my mind, but it seems a superior design trick to the Futur, where you have to grip the head (being careful not to slice yourself) while turning the handle to adjust. All in all, it will be a good addition to the stable. And here it ends! No more razors!

Top Bottom