What's new

Adios Remington

It's not surprising. Remington built quality guns, but hasn't really built a gamechanger since the 700 came out 60 years ago. Quality of the old stand by models, the 700, 870, and 1100 has steadily declined over the past couple of decades. Think about how often someone says "Buy an old one. They were made better." If a guy goes looking for an "old one" they aren't hard to find since they made millions. There hasn't been a lot of incentive for people to buy a new Remington with its quality declining and the competition now making better guns.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on some of these point. I literally own Remingtons made from 1917-present, I also have access to at least a dozen Remington rifles and shotguns made from 2010 onward, through close shooting buddies. Add onto the top of that, I'm also a tool maker and hobby gunsmith and gun builder. Of the 6 Remingtons I own that were made over the past 15 years, not a single one of them has given me a single issue. Nor do I know of anyone personally that has seemed to get a lemon, but it seems to be a persistent internet topic always with reference to the anti-gun hit piece over the triggers. Now I will say that the current offerings are not as pretty as those of the past, but mechanically they are much tighter now.

Now y'all have gotten me in the mood to go fondle my 1991 ADL in .30-06 (the first rifle I bought for myself)

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Well hopefully the new parent company will be true to their word about bring them back, getting them right, and then leave them alone! I personally would love to see some innovation... but quality control improvements first!

Last edited:
Back in the 70’s I worked for Woolco selling firearms, while I went to tech school. We sold a bunch more Remington 870’s, I mean into the thousands. We also sold the Winchester pump, but the Remington fit and finish blew the Winchester away. We also sold the Marlin lever action. I believe that Marlin was not associated with Remington at the time. Ammunition? Remington sold two to one over Winchester.

Remington quality was unquestionably the best back then. I sure hate to see this happening to Remington, but I guess boardroom decisions have sealed their fate.

nikonNUT

So just a PSA but JJE the owners of Palmetto State Armory (see what I did there) are the one picking up (a part of) Remington. Gives me a little hope in that at least it's a pro 2A outfit (Yeah, I know... Poverty ponies and all that) and not some capital group that focuses on golf clubs (Nothing against golf) and would rather raze the place and put up a high rise.

P.S Here's a break out of the purchasers. Looks bad for Remington Arms proper :(
  • Remington Firearms: Roundhill Group (Real Estate Investors) Bye...
  • Dakota Firearms: Roundhill Group (Real Estate Investors) Please let them get out alive and keep making 40x's etc. I would really have loved to see someone like Zermatt (Origin Bighorn?)pick them up.
  • Remington Ammo: Vista Outdoor (Federal Ammo) Not a fan of Vista (to much centralization a'la Remington) but better that a real estate group.
  • Barnes Bullets: Sierra Bullets Good!
  • Marlin Firearms: Sturm, Ruger & Co. Also good!!
  • Bushmaster Firearms: Franklin Armory Holdings Uhmmm, I'll take it. FA uses a lot of Chinese stuff but at least they are in the know.
  • Tapco (parts): Sportsman's Warehouse, Inc. Small parts and the such. Going to be a "House brand" I suppose but still good.
  • DPMS Firearms: JJE Capital Holdings (Palmetto State Armory) Bleeping AWESOME!
  • H&R Firearms: JJE Capital Holdings (Palmetto State Armory) See above!
  • AAC Silencers: JJE Capital Holdings (Palmetto State Armory) See above!
  • Parker Shotguns: JJE Capital Holdings (Palmetto State Armory) See above!
  • Stormlake Barrels: JJE Capital Holdings (Palmetto State Armory) See above!

Last edited:
So just a PSA but JJE the owners of Palmetto State Armory (see what I did there) are the one picking up (a part of) Remington. Gives me a little hope in that at least it's a pro 2A outfit (Yeah, I know... Poverty ponies and all that) and not some capital group that focuses on golf clubs (Nothing against golf) and would rather raze the place and put up a high rise.

P.S Here's a break out of the purchasers. Looks bad for Remington Arms proper :(
  • Remington Firearms: Roundhill Group (Real Estate Investors) Bye...
  • Dakota Firearms: Roundhill Group (Real Estate Investors) Please let them get out alive and keep making 40x's etc. I would really have loved to see someone like Zermatt (Origin Bighorn?)
  • Remington Ammo: Vista Outdoor (Federal Ammo) Not a fan of Vista (to much centralization a'la Remington) but better that a real estate group.
  • Barnes Bullets: Sierra Bullets Good!
  • Marlin Firearms: Sturm, Ruger & Co. Also good!!
  • Bushmaster Firearms: Franklin Armory Holdings Uhmmm, I'll take it. FA uses a lot of Chinese stuff but at least they are in the know.
  • Tapco (parts): Sportsman's Warehouse, Inc. Small parts and the such. Going to be a "House brand" I suppose but still good.
  • DPMS Firearms: JJE Capital Holdings (Palmetto State Armory) Bleeping AWESOME!
  • H&R Firearms: JJE Capital Holdings (Palmetto State Armory) See above!
  • AAC Silencers: JJE Capital Holdings (Palmetto State Armory) See above!
  • Parker Shotguns: JJE Capital Holdings (Palmetto State Armory) See above!
  • Stormlake Barrels: JJE Capital Holdings (Palmetto State Armory) See above!
Awesome rundown.

I share your enthusiasm with JJE acquiring AAC, Stormlake, and the rest. Very interested to see what becomes of AAC under this new ownership.

I sold hundreds of Remington rifles and shotguns during a decade with Woolco in the 70's and early 80's, so I grew to favor the brand with their reliable and good-looking guns. I wonder how many 700, 742, 760 rifles and 870 and 1100 shotguns we moved out the door. Saddened to see yet another storied gunmaker falter.

I worked for the parent company of Woolco in the corporate office. Which store were you in? I traveled extensively and visited many stores.

I worked for the parent company of Woolco in the corporate office. Which store were you in? I traveled extensively and visited many stores.
I began in Salina, Kansas in 1973, transferred to Grand Island, Nebraska in 1976. Stayed until the end times in 1983. Sporting Goods at Woolco was a great place to work. From time to time I think back to my days with Woolco. One thing that has always stayed with me is how many guns we sold. Phenominal. The volumes of things like ammunition, bicycles, fishing supplies, archery equipment, bowling balls, baseball and softball equipment still impresses me almost four decades later.

Back in the 70’s I worked for Woolco selling firearms, while I went to tech school. We sold a bunch more Remington 870’s, I mean into the thousands. We also sold the Winchester pump, but the Remington fit and finish blew the Winchester away. We also sold the Marlin lever action. I believe that Marlin was not associated with Remington at the time. Ammunition? Remington sold two to one over Winchester.

Remington quality was unquestionably the best back then. I sure hate to see this happening to Remington, but I guess boardroom decisions have sealed their fate.
Marlin was definitely not associated with Remington in the 70's. I have several Marlin lever actions that predate that decade, and several post 70's, that have the crossbolt safety and really do not see any difference in the quality, None are made by Remington. My Remington experience is rather limited, one M 700 Varmint Special and two 1100 shotguns all from the early 70's and find the quality quite good. I have one Winchester pump from the same few years, and it's a pump vs the semi auto, and while I find nothing wrong with it, the quality is not up to the level of the Remington's.

I began in Salina, Kansas in 1973, transferred to Grand Island, Nebraska in 1976. Stayed until the end times in 1983. Sporting Goods at Woolco was a great place to work. From time to time I think back to my days with Woolco. One thing that has always stayed with me is how many guns we sold. Phenominal. The volumes of things like ammunition, bicycles, fishing supplies, archery equipment, bowling balls, baseball and softball equipment still impresses me almost four decades later.

So true. Many of the Woolco and larger FW Woolworth stores (so-called "A Stores) had great sporting goods departments. I recall going to a store in Montana when an ad appeared for shotguns and a rifle - I don't recall what make or models. The prices were great and there was a line up of guys before the store opened.

Back in those days there never was a shortage of guns or ammo.

So true. Many of the Woolco and larger FW Woolworth stores (so-called "A Stores) had great sporting goods departments. I recall going to a store in Montana when an ad appeared for shotguns and a rifle - I don't recall what make or models. The prices were great and there was a line up of guys before the store opened.

Back in those days there never was a shortage of guns or ammo.
We used to run specials on shotgun ammo and when we did, we just stacked it on the floor, still on the pallets. We would usually sell two to three pallets ever sale. The 870’s back then were beautifully made, while the Winchester’s were obviously budget shotguns. Remington’s blueing was high luster while Winchester’s was flat. The wood on the Winchester’s were stained but did not appear to be sealed. The Remington’s were high gloss. The 1100’s didn’t outsell the Winchester 1400 because they were way more expensive. But they were a beautiful firearm.

Very sad to see them bow out. Quality firearms.
They used to be. But the fall of Remington wasn't overnight. This has been a long time coming. They got lazy and rested on laurels. And their recent attempts to innovate, especially in the handgun market, were pretty much disasters.

It's a bit like watching Sears go belly up, and seeing Craftsman turned into another Chinese-made brand under the mega umbrella of Stanley/Black&Decker.

Sears was once an American icon. Now it's a cautionary tale of resting on laurels.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
They used to be. But the fall of Remington wasn't overnight. This has been a long time coming. They got lazy and rested on laurels. And their recent attempts to innovate, especially in the handgun market, were pretty much disasters.

It's a bit like watching Sears go belly up, and seeing Craftsman turned into another Chinese-made brand under the mega umbrella of Stanley/Black&Decker.

Sears was once an American icon. Now it's a cautionary tale of resting on laurels.
And I still wonder what happened to Roebuck?

Like I said up thread a few posts. I, nor anyone I know, all of us extreme gun guys, have ever found or know of anyone that has gotten a lemon from Remington, IN THE FLESH. Now you do read a lot of gripes on the interwebz, often along 2 trains of thought. 1; Remington is not an AR company so everything they make is Fudd. 2; Their rifles aren't pretty like the used to be, even if they are much more accurate and every part is within a tight tolerance. Remington hasn't been solely owned since way before any of us were born, and within the past couple of decades they were bought by a capital venture group who also made the screw up of buying every junk firearm brand that came along. Sorry guys, but Marlin, H&R, Bushmaster and DPMS have not been worth a hoot in more decades that the 5 I've been alive, they were always second or third fiddle to others. Remington rifles, shotguns and ammo still sell well within the small shooting niche that still is interested in bolt rifles and pump shotguns, but that is not going to pull along the dead weight of the rest of the conglomerate.

On a positive (?) note.
Although Remington has pretty much gone south, adequate replacements were quick to show up.
Browning has always been a manufacturer which has made lever rifles, auto and pump shotguns, bolt rifles, semi auto rifles, and small bore pistols that were/are always a better made product than were most Remingtons. Depending on one’s perspective you might say it isn’t that huge a loss.
Throw Benelli, Ithaca, Winchester, Tikka, Beretta, Ruger, and maybe a few others in the mix.
No shortage of quality long arms.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Sad to see. My dad was a warranty repair station for them at one time. Winchester's shotguns had gone to crap and Remington was still making decent ones (1980's - 90's). I've had a couple Model 11 shotguns which were really nice, an 870 and a model 34 .22.

nikonNUT

I don't think that Remington has gone away just yet. Not the first time it has been bought by someone. Only time will tell.
True but vulture capitalism (Not a hater of capitalism mind you!) seems to be the way these deals go :( I buy your company for $XXXX dollars and then say "Go secure some loans for $XXXX" You just financed your own take over and I just watch the death spiral as various facets of your product suffer as you try and make ends meet and I take the profits. It's why I'm happy to see a holding company like JJE involved. At least they know and (seemly) love guns. Time will tell and I may very well be made a fool of!
Oh, and not botching .gov contracts would help! Had a lock on the PSR but for lack of quality (or greed) lost a contract for oodles of $15K rifles. Submitted samples with Bartlein barrels (awesome BTW), kicked butt, got the contract, swapped to factory Remington barrels, accuracy suffered, and SOCOM killed the contract... Now Barrett is the supplier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom