What's new

Adios Remington

"Papers filed in a bankruptcy court in Alabama on Sunday are giving an indication of who the buyers will be as a result of the Chapter 11 auction that have been ongoing over the past few weeks. Based on the information associated with the court filings, Remington Outdoor will be broken up and sold to a handful of top bidders.
Of paramount local interest is who will purchase the Remington operation in Ilion. It appears that Roundhill Group, LLC, is in line to acquire the Ilion plant. A report in Sunday’s Wall Street Journal puts the auction bid price at $13 million dollars. Roundhill is believed to be an investment group. There are several companies that use the name Roundhill, none of them are in the gun making business.
Sturm Ruger & Co are one of the other top bidders on Remington Outdoor’s gun making business. Several other bidders are involved in Remington Outdoor’s ammunition business.
A hearing is set for Tuesday in Decatur, Alabama when Judge Clifton Jessup will weigh up the auction bids and accept the top offers."

Sad news indeed......

It's a pity that a dark cloud seems to have been hanging over Remington for some time. The ill-fated Walker trigger episodes, all the bad press and legal carryings-on after Sandy Hook, the poor quality of some Marlin rifles after the Remington acquisition, the less-than-great R51 pistol. Alas...RIP Big Green.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
My 1100 was the purdiest gun I ever owned in the early 80's. I still remember the price, $452.00. That was a lot of money for a dude just out of High School.

It's not surprising. Remington built quality guns, but hasn't really built a gamechanger since the 700 came out 60 years ago. Quality of the old stand by models, the 700, 870, and 1100 has steadily declined over the past couple of decades. Think about how often someone says "Buy an old one. They were made better." If a guy goes looking for an "old one" they aren't hard to find since they made millions. There hasn't been a lot of incentive for people to buy a new Remington with its quality declining and the competition now making better guns.

I have 3 and no complaints. All early 70's production, a M700 Varmint special and a couple of 1100's, one a rather plain looking model I bought at a Nato Rod and Gun club in Turkey, the other a 1100LT 20 ga that I rescued. My sister had gotten it in partial payment for a trailer. It had been rode hard and put up wet. The magazine follower had swollen and was frozen in place. butt stock had been cut off then extended with a piece that did not fit either the buttstock or buttplate, and forearm had some cracks. I finally found a couple of nice pieces of wood at Numrich, fixed the magazine problem and put in an upgraded Timney sear so trigger is better for an old rifle snob like me. I also upgraded both it and the old 12 ga with new barrels that take choke tubes.

I did see over on another forum that Ruger was supposed to be purchasing Marlin from the Remington group, and am hoping that will be for the best. I sincerely hope that they will bring back the 39a rifle.

Yep, I would like to see the 39a come back. However, I am skeptical that a new version would be as well made as the older JM guns unless it was farmed out to Miroku. Of course if Miroku made them, they wouldn't be cheap and a guy might as well pay top dollar for a nice JM gun.

I heard Palmetto State Armory was buying the ammo business. I am not sure what to think about that. The only Remmys I own are a 1903A3 and a 11-87 Sporting Clays. I sincerely hope Marlin survives this. Ruger might honor the brand.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
...I have two of the RM380s and I believe they are the best made of all my 380s.

Many folks regard the RM380 as an improved Rohrbaugh R380 & nowadays, clean R380s go for $1000-plus ... don’t think that we’ll ever see a $300-plus RM380, but I do know that my RM is a well thought out/constructed pistol that runs like a scalded dog.

Yep, I would like to see the 39a come back. However, I am skeptical that a new version would be as well made as the older JM guns unless it was farmed out to Miroku. Of course if Miroku made them, they wouldn't be cheap and a guy might as well pay top dollar for a nice JM gun.
At least I have 3 JM models, the 52 39a dad bought me way back then I picked up a 57, and an early 60's mountie.

5D598F21-E363-4C28-AF5C-E68ABF4D8E96.jpeg

Done deal. Maybe the 336 will be worth a look in the future

"Papers filed in a bankruptcy court in Alabama on Sunday are giving an indication of who the buyers will be as a result of the Chapter 11 auction that have been ongoing over the past few weeks. Based on the information associated with the court filings, Remington Outdoor will be broken up and sold to a handful of top bidders.
Of paramount local interest is who will purchase the Remington operation in Ilion. It appears that Roundhill Group, LLC, is in line to acquire the Ilion plant. A report in Sunday’s Wall Street Journal puts the auction bid price at $13 million dollars. Roundhill is believed to be an investment group. There are several companies that use the name Roundhill, none of them are in the gun making business.
Sturm Ruger & Co are one of the other top bidders on Remington Outdoor’s gun making business. Several other bidders are involved in Remington Outdoor’s ammunition business.
A hearing is set for Tuesday in Decatur, Alabama when Judge Clifton Jessup will weigh up the auction bids and accept the top offers."

Sad news indeed......

It's a pity that a dark cloud seems to have been hanging over Remington for some time. The ill-fated Walker trigger episodes, all the bad press and legal carryings-on after Sandy Hook, the poor quality of some Marlin rifles after the Remington acquisition, the less-than-great R51 pistol. Alas...RIP Big Green.

As far .22's go, I liked Remington ammunition a lot
and their rifles not so much.

Top Bottom