What's new

Adios Remington

I believe the 60 will carry on. Sure, it's the 10/22's main competition, but I cant see a it being a smart business move to quit manufacturing it, though. Now Ruger can make money even if a guy chooses a 60 over a 10/22.

I've always admired Ruger design.
Much simpler to manufacture than Remington
and more reliable function.
From what I’ve read, Bill Ruger made very complex actions more efficiently produced by mastering a complex casting process that allowed the skipping of many machining steps. I’m hoping they even bring back some discontinued calibers and models... They are really releasing a lot of different styles and calibers now. It would be cool to see some classic levers resurrected.

I sold hundreds of Remington rifles and shotguns during a decade with Woolco in the 70's and early 80's, so I grew to favor the brand with their reliable and good-looking guns. I wonder how many 700, 742, 760 rifles and 870 and 1100 shotguns we moved out the door. Saddened to see yet another storied gunmaker falter.

While I really like my Rugers and own quite a few, mostly Old Model Blackhawks, they occasionally have Remlin like QA. I have a New Vaquero in 45 Colt that had throats that were around .446 and barely two that matched. You might get away with that with jacketed bullets but it is death to accuracy with cast bullets. 45 Colt is a high volume caliber and they appeared to not like replacing tooling. My New Model Blackhawk in 41 Magnum was fine.

Then there's the mini 14
proxy.php

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have 3 and no complaints. All early 70's production, a M700 Varmint special and a couple of 1100's, one a rather plain looking model I bought at a Nato Rod and Gun club in Turkey, the other a 1100LT 20 ga that I rescued. My sister had gotten it in partial payment for a trailer. It had been rode hard and put up wet. The magazine follower had swollen and was frozen in place. butt stock had been cut off then extended with a piece that did not fit either the buttstock or buttplate, and forearm had some cracks. I finally found a couple of nice pieces of wood at Numrich, fixed the magazine problem and put in an upgraded Timney sear so trigger is better for an old rifle snob like me. I also upgraded both it and the old 12 ga with new barrels that take choke tubes.

I did see over on another forum that Ruger was supposed to be purchasing Marlin from the Remington group, and am hoping that will be for the best. I sincerely hope that they will bring back the 39a rifle.
I kinda fear Ruger would do away with the old Marlin model 60 though. I actually shoot that better than any of the Ruger 10/22's I've tried.

The first gun I ever fired was a Remington 512 bolt action 22lr. Happy to say Remington made many of my firsts in the shooting. I believe I was smart in trading/buying these off of my dad and grandfather when they considered trading them away.

I was fortunate to get a marlin 1894 since the Remington acquisition and mine has been flawless. I actually prefer to the old JM micro groove guns, as with this Remlin, I can shoot a variety of cast bullets with good accuracy and performance. I hate to see Remington vanish, but I am hopeful that the best of the brands will be carried on and not disappear.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The first gun I ever shot was my Grandfathers Remington Scoremaster which I now have.

Quality firearms.

They once were but when they adopted MIM parts over tool steel on their shotguns they killed that reputation -

"Failure to extract" was never an issue prior to that efficiency & cost-reduction move.

Top Bottom