What's new

Adequate Set-Up for "Travelers"

The Chief Pastor at the church I attend noted that they were getting a little low on supplies with a Travelers Assistance ministry he heads. We are in Wyoming along the interstate, and I know that he goes out to assist people who are broke down, out of gas, stuck in a snowy ditch etc., but they also help people who are passing through hitch-hiking or riding the rails (vagabonds or whatever name you choose)--they don't discriminate on who is helped.

They will often give people access to the church bathroom to get cleaned up. Some of the things they were needing were toothbrushes, soap, and. . . . . . wait for it. . . . .wait for it. . . . .razors and shaving supplies.

Now I am sure that they are mainly thinking disposal "bic-type" razors and some Barbasol cans for guys that get stranded with a broken down car etc., but sometimes, we are looking at people who are more in need. No issue there--I can just stop by the dollar store and do a lot of good; however, I immediately thought of sending people on with DE safety razors when appropriate (people in a more long term state of "traveling", but I had some logistical concerns that I was hoping for advice on before I even suggested the idea.

1. What is the right razor(s). I was thinking a common like a Gillette NEW Long Comb. I also thought about a Tech, which seem more common as well as a twist to open Weishi clone I saw at the Dollar store only these might be inappropriate for longer terms between shaves. I thought the NEW would be the best option due to durability and the ability to slice through long growth (without being as aggressive as an Old Type). Any thoughts??

2. Blades. I can get Rapira Platinum Lux or Voskhod for $.08 cents per blade and they seem to be adequate at least in any razor. BUT HOW COULD YOU HANDLE the spent blades with a "traveler". I would not want to contribute to a situation where "sharps" were left lying around as a dangerous form of litter. All I could think of is that if went people with a safety razor, send them with empty prescription bottle. I DON'T WANT TO BE IRRESPONSIBLE passing this stuff out!

3. Soap. You can get a dozen Arko sticks on Amazon for less than $1 per stick. No problem.

4. Brush. Can a person get a decent shave using Arko without a shave brush?? I would think so. I don't like the idea of a communal shave brush.

Even buying the cheapest items new, I think for $2 (Weishi clone having five blades and a stick of Arko), we could get them 15-20 shaves--maybe two months even. This could be doubled, tripled. . . . . multiplied by $0.40 per multiple if pulling tucks of Rapira or Voskhod from a 100 pack.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts (even if you have reason to shoot down the idea). . . . .I really like the idea of the NEW if we had a way to get past some of the logistical issues (like dangerous spent blades especially). I would bet that some of the NEWs would be used in a manner similar to how they were used during the Great Depression.

It's a nice idea, but I think the uptake might be very low. People stranded or otherwise down on their luck in a strange place will generally be reluctant to try something "new" like DE shaving, preferring the familiar cheap cartridge razor and canned foam. I'f like to think some would give a DE shave a go, but I'm not convinced.

Very thoughtful, but I would go the brushless cream route and disposables, as you mention, disposing of the blades poses a risk of dangerous loittering, and if someone has trouble shaving with safety razors, we are talking health related risk as people can cut themselves, get infected, when in this situations, I know it sounds exagerated but is aleays safe to think worst case scenarios.

Good points! The people that I would hope to help out are a little are the people who would probably be at risk of infection. That kind of kills the idea. Better to focus on provided a short-term cleanup to those who want it, rather than provided something longer term.

My sons still take their NEWs in a case camping with them, but they are better able to deal with a cut when with the Scout troop.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies!!

I would do a bulk buy of those plastic Gillette Super Click razors. They are durable but are not sold at retail in the US. Other brands can work just as well, though some are too aggressive IMO. That said, most people would probably look down on this razor and not want to even try it, much less stick with using it.

The Chief Pastor at the church I attend noted that they were getting a little low on supplies with a Travelers Assistance ministry he heads. We are in Wyoming along the interstate, and I know that he goes out to assist people who are broke down, out of gas, stuck in a snowy ditch etc., but they also help people who are passing through hitch-hiking or riding the rails (vagabonds or whatever name you choose)--they don't discriminate on who is helped.

They will often give people access to the church bathroom to get cleaned up. Some of the things they were needing were toothbrushes, soap, and. . . . . . wait for it. . . . .wait for it. . . . .razors and shaving supplies.

Now I am sure that they are mainly thinking disposal "bic-type" razors and some Barbasol cans for guys that get stranded with a broken down car etc., but sometimes, we are looking at people who are more in need. No issue there--I can just stop by the dollar store and do a lot of good; however, I immediately thought of sending people on with DE safety razors when appropriate (people in a more long term state of "traveling", but I had some logistical concerns that I was hoping for advice on before I even suggested the idea.

1. What is the right razor(s). I was thinking a common like a Gillette NEW Long Comb. I also thought about a Tech, which seem more common as well as a twist to open Weishi clone I saw at the Dollar store only these might be inappropriate for longer terms between shaves. I thought the NEW would be the best option due to durability and the ability to slice through long growth (without being as aggressive as an Old Type). Any thoughts??

2. Blades. I can get Rapira Platinum Lux or Voskhod for $.08 cents per blade and they seem to be adequate at least in any razor. BUT HOW COULD YOU HANDLE the spent blades with a "traveler". I would not want to contribute to a situation where "sharps" were left lying around as a dangerous form of litter. All I could think of is that if went people with a safety razor, send them with empty prescription bottle. I DON'T WANT TO BE IRRESPONSIBLE passing this stuff out!

3. Soap. You can get a dozen Arko sticks on Amazon for less than $1 per stick. No problem.

4. Brush. Can a person get a decent shave using Arko without a shave brush?? I would think so. I don't like the idea of a communal shave brush.

Even buying the cheapest items new, I think for $2 (Weishi clone having five blades and a stick of Arko), we could get them 15-20 shaves--maybe two months even. This could be doubled, tripled. . . . . multiplied by $0.40 per multiple if pulling tucks of Rapira or Voskhod from a 100 pack.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts (even if you have reason to shoot down the idea). . . . .I really like the idea of the NEW if we had a way to get past some of the logistical issues (like dangerous spent blades especially). I would bet that some of the NEWs would be used in a manner similar to how they were used during the Great Depression.

Good man!!

Your point about disposing of sharps is well taken. That’s why I suggest going with disposable razors.

Top Bottom