What's new

Adding smoke to steam cooked pork

I’m looking into adding some smoke to steam cooked pork. I don’t care for liquid smoke. I was thanking an 1oz of scotch ( Johnny walker red) It would add some, but not be overwhelming..

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Sounds good. You could soak a cloth in the JWR and put it over the pork so it wouldn't drip down

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Look into smoke powder (a.k.a., powdered smoke, mesquite powder, hickory powder, etc.) It's much easier to use than liquid smoke (far less likely to overpower, but a little still goes a long way), and it does not have that acrid note that liquid smoke can get.

A quick search on your friendly, neighborhood internet will get you plenty of hits. I recently got some hickory smoke powder from Walton's and have been very happy with it. Mesquite is out there, too (but not at Walton's).

What cut of pork are you steaming? Ground pork, cubes, loin? you could get a few pieces of charcoal going in a Weber place the pork in there and toss some wood chips, sage, rosemary whatever. Then put the lid on for a couple minutes. Rosemary and sage is powerful stuff so be careful with that.

I'll say that if you want smoke in pork, smoke it! Don't steam it. But at least you're not boiling it. Ugh.

If that's not an option, smoked salt would be my choice.

Top Bottom