What's new

Ad attempting to convert shavers from DE to a cartridge

I stumbled on this video on youtube and after watching it I just felt sad. The myth of two blades shaving closer than one is still alive and kicking. Hopefully, DE shavers watching this humbug will realize that the guy shaving with a DE has probably never held such a device in his hands before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that the people Gillette is targeting with this ad, are reading B&B or similar forums. It's sad, but they will keep trying to drive DE razors and blades off the market.
The only thing we can do, is keep buying DE blades :001_smile

holy mackerel I did not understand a word of what was said and the acting was terrible but I must go out and get myself a what ever it was, because only then can I be truly happy,---what were we talking about---Oh my god I must get that brand of detergent to be truly happy...

You can't blame them for trying, if I owned Gillette I'd be trying to push people onto the more expensive razors too. Give it a few years and the guy with be holding the twin blade where the DE was and being happy with the shave from his Fusion, it's business.

It's like when Apple changed the connector on its iThings. Do you really think they did that because it had quantifiable benefits? No, they did it so that they could sell you a whole new range of accessories.

Seeing as Gillette can charge £10+ for a pack of 4 Fusion cartridges they are certainly chasing the money but I'm confused as to why both worlds can't exist in the same space. Boots don't have much to choose from, all my stuff is from online. But in this era of smartphones Carphone Warehouse still sell a Nokia for £6. Why bring this up? People still just want a phone for calling and texting, not a social media device which just happens to have a phone attached. Not everyone will be happy with the latest trend. So why can't companies let DE shavers have their share? If Gillette were to release a Fusion model with a DE design they could still easily sell it, I think. And in these times shouldn't shops and companies be selling to everyone to keep their heads above water?

Interesting? Yes.
Untrue? Perhaps.
Sad? No, not really.
Reason to hate or boycott Gillette? Absolutely not!

This is called marketing and sales. And Gillette has always been a leader.

Better to watch as the world is conquered...and we continue with our happy lot.

Better to watch as the world is conquered...and we continue with our happy lot.

proxy.php

Similar to most advertisements on TV, this ad really frustrates me. This isn't even close to how actual shaving occurs and every one of "us" known it. Unfortunately, commercials like this will keep Gillette in power for a little while longer...keeping a wet shaving nation at bay.

I stumbled on this video on youtube and after watching it I just felt sad. The myth of two blades shaving closer than one is still alive and kicking. Hopefully, DE shavers watching this humbug will realize that the guy shaving with a DE has probably never held such a device in his hands before.

I would argue that, in a single pass, multiple blades shave closer than one, for most people. For people who just want to get the shave over, and get on their way (which, let's face it, is probably most people) a multi-blade cart is more efficient.

Since shaving with a DE just going down the grain is closer for me. Much better than what I was using before and not as harsh on my skin which was in bad condition compared to the clean look I have now. Looking in the mirror isn't so dreadful any more!

Interesting contrast: when the carts first came out, the ad would have had the DE guy shaving real-l-l-l slowly and carefully, then "OUCH!", the dreaded nick that always happens.

Top Bottom