What's new

Acquisitions JUNE 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this weekend was overcast and cool, the perfect sort of weather to take some leisurely strolls around the city, popping in to any and all convenience stores, dollar stores, and non-large chain pharmacies one comes across.

To that end, I was pretty successful with some great finds. I've attached some photos, but here's the roundup:

100 mL of Ralph Lauren Chaps Cologne: $29.99 CDN - I love this scent, reminiscent of Stetson but more refined. 100 mLs goes for close to 80$ on the 'bay so I'm pleased!

200 mL of Skin Bracer Musk - A very interesting Skin Bracer derivative, a woody musk that settles down into a pleasant powdery scent. Not like AV musk or Old Spice. Today being cool and overcast was a perfect day to try it out - Nice! I got two 100 mL plastic containers, and decanted them into a spare glass vessel I had.

Wilkinson Sword black bowl - I first saw this specimen about two years ago and today decided to see if it was still there. It was. The scent is not like the blue bowl, but it is pleasant, less "modern", and does contain ethylparaben (not sure if the blue bowl does as well, but I thought it was worth noting). I'll use it tomorrow and give an update on the performance!

Aqua Velva Ice Sport Deo/Anti-perspirant sticks - The anti-perspirant doesn't have much scent left, but the deo does. Smells sort of like the A/S. Very nice. At 3.49 each I bought the three they had. The sticks say Smithkline Beecham. As an aside, they also had Brut Actif Blue deo, but that was 7.99... I may still get it, as the label said Faberge and I'm curious!

Enjoy the photos!

Attachments

• $IMG577.jpg
    $IMG577.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 830
  • $IMG578.jpg
    $IMG578.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 834
Well, I tried the black bowl today. The scent is old school, sort of like Erasmic. Lather was very slick but not a lot of cushion. No nicks or cuts, but overall not a top performer, I'd say middle of the pack. I'll continue to use it for the novelty. I'm actually tempted to go and pick up a blue bowl, just because.

I used it again this morning, and I must admit, the performance was even better today. The key was a bit more water. I easily got some meringue-like lather that did not diminish on my face. As a comparison, I would rank this higher than say, Crabtree and Evelyn (which I find surprising)! the cushion was not bad, and it is a very slick soap. As far as moisturizing properties, I can't say as I use after shave following my shaves. Hmmm... I think I have to dig out my Sienna or C&E Sandalwood to double check my earlier claim! On the downside I feel that this soap is used up quickly, my badger brush seems to eat through it.

Cheers,

Ryan

I like my initial haul of 5 Gillette DE's so much I really wanted an adjustible. Everyone gushes about the Fatboy, but prices seemed a bit too high right now, so I wasn't going to go for it. I saw the "slim" adjustibles were not too expensive, so I put in a $20 bid for one and got it. Funny thing, though. While I was searching for it, I found a "fatboy" up for sale but mismarked as a slim!! I was able to identify it based on the picture (not bad for a noob, eh?). Anyway, I put a bid down for $45 thinking someone else would notice it and outbid me, but I got it for $43, which is higher than I frankly wanted to go, but a lot less than a lot of others are going for these days, so I'm happy. And I went shopping on ebay for 1 razor, I came out with 2!

$razors.jpg

Hey you cant beat it when you find a good deal! I have scored two nice sets because of listing issues. A cased Merkur Slant and a cased Gillette Single ring. Had they been listed where they would have been more noticeable I would not have scored them. Congrats!

If 90% of the Slims on the bay are listed as Fat Boys...why not the other way around every once in a while! :lol:

Then, there's that elusive REGUS razor that I keep seeing. But when I look at the picks, just a regular 'ol Gillette.

And I won't even start my rant on all the "adjustable" Super Speeds, Knacks, and Flares.

If 90% of the Slims on the bay are listed as Fat Boys...why not the other way around every once in a while! :lol:

Then, there's that elusive REGUS razor that I keep seeing. But when I look at the picks, just a regular 'ol Gillette.

And I won't even start my rant on all the "adjustable" Super Speeds, Knacks, and Flares.

Just goes to show: with everything, do your research first.

A highly anticipated shipment from QCS arrived today. It included 4 creams: Vostock, Provence, Hanami and Basilica. They tubs are filled to the absolute brim with lovely scented cream and while they all smell great the Hanami smells so wonderful that I had to test lather it right away. Lovely stuff, Matt.

This showed up in the mail today. The brush seems to be in usable condition, I think? I gave it a good scrubbing with soap & water. I lost about ten hairs in the process. Is that normal for an older brush? Maybe a restoration is in order? Forgive all the questions, I'm still learning.
$IMAG0102.jpg$IMAG0105.jpg

I won 190 Feather blades on ebay for £30 inclusive of Postage. That's about £15 saved on what they would have cost me elsewhere.
My bargain Truefitt&Hill 1805 gift pack arrived as well. 100ml ASB, 165ml Shaving Cream, Brush in Super (Rooney 3/1) and a Mach 3 handle all for £54 (RRP £135). I reckon the sale of the ASB and Mach 3 handle on ebay will mean the cream and brush will end up having cost me very little.

Gillette tto flare tip off bst
Trumper sandalwood cream to replace used Rose
Rapira Platinum Lux on order
Trumper Curzon cologne last month to replace used one.

Made some pretty good scores today. Found a fatboy in a slim case. A gold Aristocrat thats missing one side of the door end cap and has the laquer peeling away. I'd post pics but you guys have seen a million of them. A non-shaving related score was this. A Parker Royal Challenger. Still trying to learn about it and see if it can be brought back to life. Always wanted a vintage Parker Pen.

Just arrived in the mail!

"NOS CASE RED IMP 132 9/16 Never honed. Scales are straight, some scratches on inside of scales. Blade is in immaculate, brand new condition..Comes in original rust resistant paper"

View attachment 249868

Last edited:
Went to Bloomingdale's in Lennox Mall today to look at the AoS products and I needed a new brush. The walmart boar hair wasn't cutting it. Ended up getting "the pitch". I ended up getting a set with the full size pre shave oil, cream, and after shave balm as well as a badger brush for $100. What made me end up getting it was the free gift with purchase of another full size set of the oil, cream, and balm. As well as the gentleman sales clerk gave me a TON of samples. I encourage anyone wanting to buy AoS products check out Bloomingdale's if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom