What's new

Acquisition Disorders vs. Shelf Life

Some of you have a lot of supplies, more than you would need, lots of creams, aftershaves, blades, etc. My question is, if you have supplies worth over 5 years of shaving, and taking shelf life of creams/soaps/aftershaves and such, What is your view on that? Do these products last over 10 years if sealed up in plastic ziplocks? I would presume the longest lasting of this stuff would be the blades which can stay in packs unopened for 30 years, but what about the shaving 'software' like creams/balms/lotions/colognes?

Also, for those of you who have more than you need, if a deal came along on something you have wanted to try, would you bite the bullet, take it or leave it until you have finished what you have?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For me, the biggest 'shelf life' issues are around colognes and shave creams. I'm always interested in threads about those, and hear all sorts of different opinions ... ask me in 10 years if I can keep colognes and creams that long ... :001_rolle

Soaps I understand are more immune to age. Although the scent may dissipate slightly over years and years, the lathering/lubrication qualities would decay only slowly.

Aftershaves and hair tonics I tend to use up quickly enough that it's not an issue.

Razor blades aren't an issue for me ... being a straight razor guy, and my favourite blade was made in 1884 ... :lol:

Like I say, ask me in 10 years if these opinions are correct.

:001_huh:

now there's a thought ... will I still be a regular participant at B&B in 10 years? Will there even be a B&B then? Will there be an internet as we know it? How many times will Ouch have lapped the post-counter??

Some of you have a lot of supplies, more than you would need, lots of creams, aftershaves, blades, etc. My question is, if you have supplies worth over 5 years of shaving, and taking shelf life of creams/soaps/aftershaves and such, What is your view on that? Do these products last over 10 years if sealed up in plastic ziplocks? I would presume the longest lasting of this stuff would be the blades which can stay in packs unopened for 30 years, but what about the shaving 'software' like creams/balms/lotions/colognes?

Also, for those of you who have more than you need, if a deal came along on something you have wanted to try, would you bite the bullet, take it or leave it until you have finished what you have?

As far as I know, a Cologne is a type of perfume with 2% to 5% aromatic compounds. It does not stay 'fresh' forever so stocking up on Colognes is certainly not such a good idea IMHO.

Top Bottom