What's new

Acqua di Parma shaving brush. thoughts?

I'm thinking of picking up an Acqua di Parma shaving brush in the wenge wood finish. I know it is mad expensive but I like the look of the wenge and how thick the brush handle is. The stand looks like an artwork piece too compared to other stands out there.

Aside from getting ripped off because I know it is mad $$$, anyone have any experience with this shave brush?

proxy.php

Woah! The metal on that brush better be white gold for that kind of $$$.

I also like the stand. It's a simple brush design but very nice, indeed. I can see why you like it. Perhaps it's made by a brush maker we all know and you can get an equivalent for less somewhere, but I don't know if that's the case. Sorry I'm not any help.

Anyone know who actually makes this brush?

-Andy

Last edited:
Yep. That's a lot of scratch for a shaving brush.
Performance-wise, I doubt it could be any better than a Shavemac with D01 hair, but if you're investing in art then you're investing in art. You can get an outstanding brush with "Wow." performance quality for around $100, maybe a little more, from Shavemac. I haven't experienced Rooney.

I can't speak on the part of the quality of the AdP brush, but I've used other AdP products, such as the cream and aftershave balm and they are top notch.

It certainly looks like a great quality brush from the single pic I've seen. Silvertip, and it looks like a high density pack. I'll bet its a great brush. I'd bet that it performs on par with some of the most enjoyable brushes out there, but of course I'm speculating.

One thing that is almost guaranteed is that this brush is not made by AdP. They probably have some kind of agreement with a manufacturer of high quality brushes. Its unlikely that they're willing to reveal their source, but you can try to contact them and pry a little bit about who puts it together. If they mention a guy named Bernd (he's Shavemac), you're guaranteed a good brush. I'm pretty sure he made the Dovo Micarta brush I have in my collection, and its a very, very fine brush.

It's a good looking brush, no doubt.

Knock off the $200 premium, and it could be a contenda.

For 350 large, you could have a brush custom made to your specifications, with exhibition-grade burlwood or horn, and have Bernd knot it with D01 hair to the density, size, and shape you prefer. And you'd still have money left over to buy a stand and some other shaving goodies...in fact, you could probably recreate that exact brush with wenge wood, the brass do-dad, and a better quality knot for half that cost.

IMO, that's quite a bit to pay for the brand name. But, if you feel like indulging, I won't stop ya. :wink:

I got to handle one of these yesterday at Neiman's and it seems like a very nice brush. It is certainly heavy but I did not think that the knot was very dense. The sales person did not know anything about it, ie: "what grade of hair is this?" "Umm I think it's badger..?" The tips felt soft but not so much softer than my C&E BBB. I wouldn't drop that much money on it, but you could and tell us what you think.:biggrin:

seems like generally all positive experiences with the brush (except cost), so I'll go grab one this weekend and try it out :) I can shell out some $$$ as long as this brush set will look great on my bathroom sink. Then I'll think it's worth the benjamins

That is one good looking brush. But I agree, but for that amount of coin, and you were interested in function, it would hard to beat a Shavemac in the performance department IMO. I like the Shavemac touch of having Bernd custom etch your name or whatever you desire on the handle to personalize it :001_smile

so this John Lewis brush is a knock-off of AdP?

or you are saying that AdP hired John Lewis to make them AdP shave set?

Neither. John Lewis simply has an AdP brush set at the aforementioned price. I'm pretty sure they still have it, it's possible the gentlemen took it off the shelf to check the price when he was speaking with me via email.

I can't remember where, but I've handled this thing... I remember it being quite a heavy piece of equipment. Probably twice as hefty as all my other brushes. It is nice, but coupled with the price tag it seemed very unnecessary... not my cup of tea...

Top Bottom