What's new
  • The Annual Sue Moore Auction is now running from 19 - 21 October. Every year proceeds from this auction and all monies raised go directly to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Please take a look at the items that are available this year, as there is sure to be something of interest to everyone!

Acne!?!? Oh no.

I thought I was done with this a few years ago. Sure, I get one or two now and then, usually on the forhead, when especially stressed. But generally no acne on the face for some years now.

But the last week or so, I have noticed a few little tiny zits popping up along my jawline. I figure it must be related to the products I am using. Any suggestions? Any recommendations on aftershave/moisturizer that would be best for preventing this?
 
I usually use an lots of cold water then Alum Block or Witch Hazel to close the pores followed by a Trumper's Skin food which is an excellent sealant. I tried some CLinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Cream directly after a shave and had a spot problem.
 
Hi Moses, that sounds like a razor issue as that is not a common acne problem area. I am partial to the styptic pencil myself but John's suggestion of that and WH is sound. The styptic or alum will not only close your pores but will provide a mild antiseptic. The WH will as well. On the ones you already have try ordinary first aid cream to keep the area cleam and hydrocortisone cream to reduce the swelling. I use a hydrocortisone that has aloe in it which is also nice for irritated skin. I have your same problem on my neck from time to time and this treatment is effective for me.
Cheers,
Jeff
 
Jeff,

Thanks for the advice. Definitely acne though. Checked very carefully - not red or irritated, definitely not ingrown hairs or razor bumps, or other razor irritation, just acne.

Shane
 
I got spots rather than acne with the Clinique stuff, it manifested it self with very small yellow heads but no inflamation, the chance in my routine completely eradicated them. I believe they hapened because I was putting cream into wide open pores.
 
Shane, I found that the little acne that I have actually cleared up a great deal when I started DE shaving - though I won't say that the DE shaving caused the acne to clear up (they may be correlated to a third and seperate thing - such as better taking care of my face in general).

Like John I use cold water then Alum Block and/or WH to close the pores followed by a balm such as T&H Ultimate comfort, Proraso or Baxters. I
 
Hmmm, no redness or irritation huh. That sounds like folliculitis. I get that around my mouth every so often. Very small whiteheads with little to no redness or swelling. Is this what you are experienceing? The styptic/alum and WH keeps it in check quite nicely.
Good luck,
Jeff
 
Jeff,

Well, damn. I believe you've hit on it. Definitely very small, not irritated (until I try to pop) whiteheads. I will go at it with the witch hazel. Maybe get an alum block. (I had a bad incident with a stypic, that makes me not really want it near my face again). I am kind of laying off the aftershave/moisterizer products for a little while as well, in hopes that will help. (Given city humidity levels, I don't really need that much moisterizing).

Shane
 
moses said:
I thought I was done with this a few years ago. Sure, I get one or two now and then, usually on the forhead, when especially stressed. But generally no acne on the face for some years now.

But the last week or so, I have noticed a few little tiny zits popping up along my jawline. I figure it must be related to the products I am using. Any suggestions? Any recommendations on aftershave/moisturizer that would be best for preventing this?

The solution that worked for me, when I had that exact problem, was Aqua Velva applied as an After Shave. Musgo splash will also work.
 
moses said:
Seams the thing both of those have in common is Alcohol. So perhaps for this purpose and alcohol based A/S would be best?

Yes Sir, I believe that will help tremendously. It, along with Witch Hazel which our colleauges have already suggested should help you. Laying off the moisturizer should also help.

I find that with Aqua Velva you get the best of all worlds....The alcohol (astringent), menthol (closes pores), and glycerin (moisturizing), and a good fragrance (in my opinion).
 
moses said:
Jeff,

Well, damn. I believe you've hit on it. Definitely very small, not irritated (until I try to pop) whiteheads. I will go at it with the witch hazel. Maybe get an alum block. (I had a bad incident with a stypic, that makes me not really want it near my face again). I am kind of laying off the aftershave/moisterizer products for a little while as well, in hopes that will help. (Given city humidity levels, I don't really need that much moisturizing).

Shane
One small piece of advice, popping zits, as you call them, is like playing with a sceptic hand grenade on you face. Definitely not wise, especially around the nose and mouth. Great chance to introduce an infection with plenty of blood flow to the brain to complicate issues.
WH often clears up the spawn of excess oil as do many of the toners available, not by attacking the zits, but their cause.
I know what you are thinking, how satisfying to pop that pustule, but simply do not do it!
 
For some people, myself included, popping a zit is some sort of genetic malfunction that cannot be ignored. It's like saying don't sneeze.. good luck :tongue_sm

Good advice, of course, if you can resist.
 
BGog said:
For some people, myself included, popping a zit is some sort of genetic malfunction that cannot be ignored. It's like saying don't sneeze.. good luck :tongue_sm

Good advice, of course, if you can resist.

I didn't really get spots as a teenager and feel I've missed out on an important side of growing up. Many of my classmates talked of spots hitting the mirror and I had absolutely no experience of this at all.
 
Last time I used a styptic pencil on my face (to stop bleeding on a small slash), it immediately because inflamed and puffy. The bleeding stopped, but the huge red welt on my face was a lot worse. Left a scar that is still visible a month later.
 
moses said:
Last time I used a styptic pencil on my face (to stop bleeding on a small slash), it immediately because inflamed and puffy. The bleeding stopped, but the huge red welt on my face was a lot worse. Left a scar that is still visible a month later.

try using a face scrub (on a non-shave day) to clean out the area.
 
Hi Moses,
It sounds to me that you are allergic to whatever salt is used in the styptic. For particulary bad razor burn I use a mixture of OTC first aid cream and hydrocortisone. It works quite well on irritaiton. The first aid cream may be all you need to keep the area clean. It is not drying either which is nice. I put it on at night rather than in the morning.
Cheers,
Jeff
 
Tito said:
Got any good suggestions?

Thanks

I like my newly purchased Baxters Scrub... and I also enjoyed Anthony Sport Face Scrub (a little mild-er than the Baxters, IMO). Both are available from Menessentials.com (amongst other places, I'm sure).
 
Top Bottom