What's new

Above The Tie Recommendations!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
looks like i ordered the right things... an s1 and an s2. I'll send back the one that doesn't agree with me.!

Mr Daniel
The slant razor's cap has angled sides matching the baseplate. So yes, you would need a cap specifically for the slant bases.

Don't let the scary look of the S1 or S2 deter you; the blade actually sits parallel to the comb, and in actual use the razor is very smooth and forgiving—a purring kitten rather than a tiger. And yet the razor gets its job done admirably, so its mildness isn't from lack of efficiency. Nor is the shave in any way uneven.

It really is worth a try, as most of us have found it to be a remarkable razor. Keep in mind that if you buy it direct from ATT you can always exchange for a different head if you really don't like the slant design.

You've all got me really looking forward to the S1. I've just used the R1 on the Colossus, and it was the best shave I've ever had, including 6 months of various DEs. Zero nicks, zero pressure, zero touch-up BBS. The handle was the perfect weight for the head, complemented with an Astra SP on its 2nd use. Based on how it went I think I could even cut out XTG (my least favorite pass, especially under the nose) entirely.

All that said, the idea that the S1 could be an improvement is hard to imagine. :tongue_sm

Mr. Daniel - I agree about the DE89. It's just not right for me either. Sounds like you need more aggressive, and the M1 will be a huge step up. Definitely consider trying the R1 though...

Last edited:
You've all got me really looking forward to the S1. I've just used the R1 on the Colossus, and it was the best shave I've ever had, including 6 months of various DEs. Zero nicks, zero pressure, zero touch-up BBS. The handle was the perfect weight for the head, complemented with an Astra SP on its 2nd use. Based on how it went I think I could even cut out XTG (my least favorite pass, especially under the nose) entirely.

All that said, the idea that the S1 could be an improvement is hard to imagine. :tongue_sm

Mr. Daniel - I agree about the DE89. It's just not right for me either. Sounds like you need more aggressive, and the M1 will be a huge step up. Definitely consider trying the R1 though...

The R1 gives me great shaves. It's become my favorite in my Kronos.

Mrblogus
That's exactly what I want to do. I'm gonna get an M1 then wait a few months and buy and M2 depending on which one suits me I will sell the M plate that I like the least and get the R plate that will suit me best. This will probably be the last razor I ever buy. I will always love trying new soaps tho.

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
oh man.

OH MAN

It came tonight.

Any blade recommendations for tomorrow? I am thinking astra. vokshods, silver blues, er. al., are also a distinct possibility

CzechCzar - I'd say take the blade you find most comfortable over all, and give it a whirl. All three you mentioned are among my favorties... Congrats and enjoy your first shave!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Just had my first shave with the S1 this morning... DFS all over with minimal blade buffing and zero irritation. I think I will like this razor!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Update:

For my second shave I decided to try something crazy and switched out my astra for a feather. 3.5 passes, zero irritation, almost complete BBS.

In comparison to my AS-D2, it is very weird. AS-D2 can (as of now, with my being inexperienced with an S1) get me BBS. I am not there with the S1 yet. But, the BBS doesn't last as long as the near BBS of my S1. By afternoon, an ASD2 shave has downgraded to DFS, while the S1 shave is still quasi-BBS. Curiouser and curiouser.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I will give props also to the owner at ATT. I exchanged a flurry of emails with him, with me sending messages again and again, to try to communicate my situation to him. Rather than telling me off, he patiently waited until I was done, and then gave me a recommendation. Class act!

Last edited:
Stan is great. His 30 day policy is amazing and he's always patient and happy to make an exchange if necessary. I'm loving my ATT gear. I have the Kronos H2 & inkwell stand. I also have the S2 and travel case coming to me soon. All quality products! You can always be sure that there will be great products down the line as well.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Where is this group? I don't know where groups are since the site redesign
Congratulations! You're bound to love one, if not both. If it goes really well, consider joining us over at BATTS (Brotherhood of Above the Tie Shavers)! Either way, do let us know what you think.

Mrblogus
That's exactly what I want to do. I'm gonna get an M1 then wait a few months and buy and M2 depending on which one suits me I will sell the M plate that I like the least and get the R plate that will suit me best. This will probably be the last razor I ever buy. I will always love trying new soaps tho.

I would go straight to the S2 based on your description of your beard type and challenges with the DE89. Like you describe, I struggle with some irritation when using milder razors because I keep going over my problem areas to get the closeness I'm looking for. Ironically a more aggressive razor can help.
Don't be intimidated by what you may have heard about slants! It's really a no-brainer kind of shave with the S2 but super smooth and efficient.

The S1 is great too but the S2 seems to have a tad more oomph and gives a slightly closer shave.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Speaking of S1 vs. S2:

I have have 3 shaves under my belt with an S1/feather/kronos. I already feel I am hitting a wall in terms of closeness. It's only giving me marginal improvements each day, and overall, my AS-D2 is still closer.

Given that I have about 2.5 weeks left in my trial, (minus shipping to and from), would you guys say it is worthwhile to stick with the S1? Or give my face a rest and go to the S2?

I would go straight to the S2 based on your description of your beard type and challenges with the DE89. Like you describe, I struggle with some irritation when using milder razors because I keep going over my problem areas to get the closeness I'm looking for. Ironically a more aggressive razor can help.
Don't be intimidated by what you may have heard about slants! It's really a no-brainer kind of shave with the S2 but super smooth and efficient.

The S1 is great too but the S2 seems to have a tad more oomph and gives a slightly closer shave.

Top Bottom