What's new

Above The Tie new Windsor caps versus classic H plate

Ordered a new Windsor cap and Kronos handle from ATT in brushed stainless to swap out the matte finish cap and handle as I have the H1 plate and it's no longer in production so that would remain in matte finish, however I notice that the cap I got seems "skinnier" than the matte finish version I have. It fits onto the plate perfectly fine, doesn't seem to affect the blade gap as far as I am able to tell, but I'm wondering how this might affect my shave at all and if this might've been meant more for the newly designed plates?

IMG_20230201_1602006052.jpg

kinda looks like they actually ground down the edge of the cap to get it that narrow

1675308262163.png

Whatever the case may be, having now just shaved with it I can safely say not only is it still a fantastic shaver but I may like it better like this

I don't know att razors enough to know what's up . I thought there was a couple of top caps that had one being actually wider, was it a classic vs Windsor? My Windsor is parked for a bit, I'll get it out before long, I'm running through other razors now.

I'm pretty sure both are Windsor caps? Could be wrong as I got the full matte razor on Maggard's when they still had em and I ordered the cap/handle brushed as individual parts directly from ATT

I'm pretty sure both are Windsor caps? Could be wrong as I got the full matte razor on Maggard's when they still had em and I ordered the cap/handle brushed as individual parts directly from ATT
Hopefully someone comes along and has some information. I'll keep a watch out here..
I guess you've couple of different feeling razors.

regardless I'm still going to do what I was intending on doing after replacing the cap and handle with brushed steel versions; get the matte parts together with a cheap mild aluminum plate I also got from ATT and PIF it to a coworker along with a cheap synthetic brush and a cream tube to get him started on wetshaving

The main change with Windsor, compared to the original cap, was that the cap is broader so the blade show is reduced to just 1mm.

This has the effect of minimising blade chatter and allow for a more comfy shave.

The Windsor is a magnificent razor, that's for sure!

Windsor has less blade exposure than the classic and Windsor Pro. Classic also is not as wide and I believe it exposes the blade tabs. The H1 is a classic plate, Windsor model was SSH1 before it was replaced by the SSRH.

If you go to the ATT website under DE razor parts there's a table with all caps and plates, they also list which are classics and Windsors.

I had posted the differences between the classic. Windsor and pro last year. It may add some value.

I went ahead and ordered an SSRH plate since other than being curious how it shaves I think the cap I got was meant for these newer plates in mind. I also noticed the H1 plate isn't as firmly in place when this new cap is applied as I can move it around slightly. Again, still got a great shave but I can tell something's off

Att gets a bit confusing to me, especially when you throw the discontinued in with current offerings.

Yes.
The Windsor Pro has a narrower top cap, with more blade reveal. End tabs are still covered.
Whoa, wait wait.....these are PRO parts??

I honestly had that suspicion as well to be frank, and it makes sense with the differences. I'm probably going to keep what I have, but if this is true I'm likely done with them as a company from now on

Last edited:
Whoa, wait wait.....these are PRO parts??

I honestly had that suspicion as well to be frank, and it makes sense with the differences. I'm probably going to keep what I have, but if this is true I'm likely done with them as a company from now on
It's the only logical conclusion I can come up with, as they have never formally announced a change of top cap specifications.

I also feel the same way you do about it.

The narrow cap looks like a classic, check the link posted above by @luv2shave . Also see if they are the same width, blade tab side to tab side. My Pro caps look different underneath, no machine marks but bead blasted.

20230202_172659.jpg
Reach out to ATT, they have answered questions and taken care of me in the past. Another reason I don't hesitate to recommend them.

I decided to return everything and stick with what I had originally, to be honest at this point I think I'd like to play it safe, at least for the time being. For what it's worth it did provide a good shave with the parts I got but so did my original full matte finish razor.

Last edited:
I decided to return everything and stick with what I had originally, to be honest at this point I think I'd like to play it safe, at least for the time being. For what it's worth it did provide a good shave with the parts I got but so did my original full matte finish razor.
I don't blame you for sending them back. That's sort of a messed up deal anyway or so it seems.

Top Bottom